Lakes around Houston area

Hi guys, my wife has a conference down in Houston towards the end of July. I will be going with her, and was wondering if you guys could recommend any lakes pretty close to the Houston area for big largemouth! Thanks

Conroe comes to mind….. I think it’s pretty close to Houston as I drove by it not long ago. Nice looking lake.

3. Member
    Conroe is closest next would be Livingston.
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

4. Member
    I bet it will b Hot that time of year.

Better plan on fishing daylight to about 10…it is frigging miserable around here that time of year. Conroe is fishing excellent right now. July will be tougher but still should be able to catch some.

6. Member
    2.5-3 hours to Sam Rayburn

7. Member
    I lived in Houston the first 36 yrs of my life. Fished the Sheldon Reservoir, now called Sheldon Lake a thousand times. No idea what it is like today. My dad and I fished Luce's bayou, (east side slough of lake Houston) many, many times.

At least these are close by.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/...ce_bayou.phtml

https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/sheldon-lake

8. Member
    Sheldon is good, but big alligators. Hire a Conroe or Rayburn guide. Forgot my home mudhole L Houston, its disappointing to say the least. But a 19lb bag won 2 weeks ago and weekend before that 2 20s but its same guys trading money back and forth, hard for new people to pattern the lake.

9. Member
    I’m not from Houston but from what I know about the area, ya gotta go with Conroe!!

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by yatesville88fan View Post
    I bet it will b Hot that time of year.
    Smoking hot! We looked at relocating to Houston once and the weather made the decision for us. Houston has some great neighborhoods though.

11. Member
    At that time of year Conroe will be your best bet for big bass. It can be a really good structure fishing lake at that time of year.

12. Member
    In July I only fish Conroe at night. Really good fishing and you don't have to deal with boat wakes coming over the bow while fishing or getting beat to h3ll going from spot to spot because of wake boats.
    2014 920/SHO

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven H View Post
    Sheldon is good, but big alligators. Hire a Conroe or Rayburn guide. Forgot my home mudhole L Houston, its disappointing to say the least. But a 19lb bag won 2 weeks ago and weekend before that 2 20s but its same guys trading money back and forth, hard for new people to pattern the lake.
    Do all the lakes in Texas have alligators?