2024 Z20 w/massive chine walk

Just purchased this boat. Love it - extremely FAST but scary bad chine walk. I've been behind the wheel of a boat since age 10. Owned a few bass boats that chine walked but could trim out of it fairly easily, get the boat on pad and deal with a subtle "walk". Not this one. I've drove it to the point that I felt I was going to loose control (68mph) but know it had more in her. It's still at its factory set up in regards to prop and jack plate height. Dealer tells me I need time behind the wheel to learn to drive it. A mechanic suggested I raise the motor UP(?) in 1/8" increments to get it to settle down. Since the JP is manual, I don't want to mess with it unless this indeed will help. Motor is the Mercury 4 stroke 250. Thoughts?
    Michael J. Koenig

2. Member
    They are almost never setup ideally from the factory/dealer. What prop, jack plate and motor height?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    They are almost never setup ideally from the factory/dealer. What prop, jack plate and motor height?
    All good questions that I'm not sure I have the answer too. I think the prop is a tempest 24p. No idea no motor height and boat is on a lift now. See pic of jackplate height for the factory. Hope this helps.
    jackplate.png
    Michael J. Koenig

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goaltender8 View Post
    All good questions that I'm not sure I have the answer too. I think the prop is a tempest 24p. No idea no motor height and boat is on a lift now. See pic of jackplate height for the factory. Hope this helps.
    jackplate.png
    That is a good prop, mesure your prop to pad height.

5. Member
    Mine starts to walk at 68 also. It settles down some with the P2P around 3.25 with me solo, full tank and one livewell. This number varies a decent amount with how its loaded. (2nd person/gear, full tank, livewells etc.)

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brennan1233 View Post
    Mine starts to walk at 68 also. It settles down some with the P2P around 3.25 with me solo, full tank and one livewell. This number varies a decent amount with how its loaded. (2nd person/gear, full tank, livewells etc.)
    Thanks! I've only had a few weeks. Filled the gas tank and loaded it with my gear, no big change though. Have not tried filling livewells yet. Someone else mentioned that could help.
    Michael J. Koenig

I had a Z9 that was uncontrollable, adjusted it up and down, did everything I knew to do. I put a trophy prop on and it drove great. Later I put a worked 3 blade back on, and it did not chine walk.

Yes adjusting JP up helps.
    Try a different prop, borrow one that is known to run good.

Make sure propshaft is 3 to 3.5 inches below pad, and adjust up from there.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

8. Member
    your jackplate height looks spot on as long as your motor is mounted in the middle holes. Just takes some seat time to keep it balanced, usually a quick correction to the left does it. Try driving an allison at 90 lol.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    I had a Z9 that was uncontrollable, adjusted it up and down, did everything I knew to do. I put a trophy prop on and it drove great. Later I put a worked 3 blade back on, and it did not chine walk.

Yes adjusting JP up helps.
    Try a different prop, borrow one that is known to run good.

Make sure propshaft is 3 to 3.5 inches below pad, and adjust up from there.
    Thanks!
    Michael J. Koenig

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by APS View Post
    your jackplate height looks spot on as long as your motor is mounted in the middle holes. Just takes some seat time to keep it balanced, usually a quick correction to the left does it. Try driving an allison at 90 lol.
    Maybe 20 years ago I'd have given the Allison hell...but now, nope :)
    Michael J. Koenig

11. Member
    Having screwed around with mine quite a bit (and having a hydraulic plate) it seems to me that to get the best speed you have to drive through some chine. Seems to be the worst around that 68 MPH but settles out after you drive through it into the 70s. Raising the plate can help with chine, but also can lose speed.

24P tempest is a pretty solid all around prop for that boat. Unfortunately lost an ear on mine (it was old and had some dings). Currently running a 23 P fury as my speed prop (not much time with it yet but have had it over 70), and have a hydromotive engineering 4 blade as my heavy load / summer prop (65 mph max, but incredible holeshot and handling).
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package