Copyright/ Trademark?

Anyone ever copyright or trademark a word or phrase?
    Costs?
    Turnaround time?
    Thx

2. Member
    I'm sure with enough $$$ anything is possible.
    Hi Mike.

Dibs on "BBC Corporate Jet".
    There, now I'm set for life. Maybe with enough violators, I will be able to buy my own jet (after deducting lawyer fees to defend my trademark, obviously).

Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

5. Member
    Get er done is copyrighted. A gas station/restaurant had their sign copyrighted, "eat here and get gas". So yes you can do that. Cost, you would have to check with a patent attorney. Turn around time is around 10 months. They are getting faster than they use to be. Id go thru an attorney to get it filed. IF you should have to defend that copyrite and you filed with zoom or another, the attorneys will really zap you with a much higher fee to defend, or IF they will even do it for you. Go to the copyright/trademark site and go thru Tess and see if what you want has already been listed. Have a cup of coffee with you. My patent attorney was going to retire in a couple of years and he showed me how to do it, online and it was pretty easy. That was several years ago and my memory isn't what it was.
    Last edited by brushsjigs; 03-20-2024 at 01:32 PM.

6. Member
    I have a trademark. Someone infringed. I defended - worse mistake of my life (well, almost). Cost me $18,000+ to defend what I already owned (estimate was $100,000.00 if it went to jury trial). In the end I got to keep status quo... terrible way to spend $18K. No, you cannot go to the other party to collect your legal fees. The defendant probably calculated that no one would be dumb enough to defend, my lawyers pushed them to the end and now I know why - more billable hours. This whole legal thing is a sham. Noteworthy take - once you have a trademark, if you don't defend, you could lose your rights.

We have multiple trademarks and copyrights. There is a significant difference between the two and what they cover. You can trademark a logo and/or words only.

Copyrights are not super hard to do yourself.

As for trademarks, you can't "own" common words and some phrases but you can include them in your mark (example - we can't trademark "rods" but we can trademark "ALX Rods"). Also, you have classifications. Let's say you trademark "Smoked Em" related to fishing lures. Someone else grabs that as a wordmark related to candles. You can both use it in your respective industries. So trademarks can be a tricky thing to navigate. If you want to pursue it, drop me a DM and I'll send you our trademark attorney's info. They have very reasonable flat rate pricing, work nationwide and only deal with trademarks - so you get correct info. Not all lawyers really know the ins and outs of trademarks, including how to file.

8. Member
    Thanks

9. Member
    That stuff gets expensive fast! My dad tried to patent something back in the late 70's and the patent office recommended a place that does that. He had them file his idea. He paid about $75.00 at first and then he received a letter saying that to get started he needed to pay the legal fees. He sent them $275.00 and they sent him a contract, which he signed. The next thing he knew, was that he was 10k in debt, and that was just the beginning. I told him to call my cousin, a contract attorney. After a bunch of legal maneuvering, like a couple of Roosters! He was released from the contract, but was out $300.00 .