Thread: Camry Hybrid?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Camry Hybrid?

Anyone have one? Or experience with one? Or any Toyota that is a hybrid? Just moved and not I'm commuting a little way. Really want another camry like we had with the 2.5 4 cylinder but the timing right now is not exactly ideal to buy a new one for our family. In 2025 they are only offering hybrid model camrys. I'm not sure I want a hybrid. May end up pinching my pennies and getting a 24' all gas. Any thoughts?

We bought a 2018 Rav4 hybrid in 21 when it came back from a lease with 18k on it for miles.... have 35k on it now, no issues yet. The gas mileage is great in town because of the electric. The gas mileage is also good on the highway.

3. Member
    My wife has a 21 Rav4 hybrid all wheel drive with 60k on it and couldn't be happier. One recall and no repairs. She averages 40-41 combined city and highway.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

4. Member
    Toyota's been doing hybrids for a long time. I think they have it figured out.

5. Member
    From my understanding Toyota has the hybrid game figured out. We bought a brand new 2019 Camry SE with the 2.5 non-hybrid and loved that car, it rode great and got about 36 mpg IIRC unfortunately I pulled out in front of a woman who didn't have her headlights on and totaled the car after only one month of ownership. Check the fuel economy between the hybrid vs non-hybrid and typically there isn't a huge difference.

6. Member
    Wife has 100k miles on her hybrid Highlander and really likes it. Could have gotten by with the straight ICE version but she wanted something with a little more range and fuel economy. The next vehicle will probably be a straight ICE or EV as she takes off from stop lights like a 1/4 miler.

7. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    From my understanding Toyota has the hybrid game figured out. We bought a brand new 2019 Camry SE with the 2.5 non-hybrid and loved that car, it rode great and got about 36 mpg IIRC unfortunately I pulled out in front of a woman who didn't have her headlights on and totaled the car after only one month of ownership. Check the fuel economy between the hybrid vs non-hybrid and typically there isn't a huge difference.
    We also had a 2019 Camry SE and loved it. Traded it for a 4runner which my wife drives and loves. I really liked the 19' and is why I want to get another.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukhntr View Post
    We also had a 2019 Camry SE and loved it. Traded it for a 4runner which my wife drives and loves. I really liked the 19' and is why I want to get another.
    Funny, after the wreck we also went from Camry to 4runner. We gave $19.5k for that Camry new, I really hated loosing that car but we love our 4runner.

9. Member
    Just get it sir!
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

10. Moderator
    Funny, after the wreck we also went from Camry to 4runner. We gave $19.5k for that Camry new, I really hated loosing that car but we love our 4runner.
    How you manage that one??? We gave $26 I think for ours. She drove it for 11 months and put 31K miles on it. It was great.

11. Member
    If I were buying a Camry it’d be the hybrid. My SIL has a hybrid Avalon that’s she’s passing down to a 16 year old nephew this year. I bet it gets him through college if he doesn’t trash it. My wife wants a new car but her 2016 GX just keeps going pretty trouble free. We looked at the new sequoia last week. They ruined the rear of that with the hybrid battery. You lose a little trunk in their hybrid sedans.

My daughter and SIL had a hybrid Camry several years ago. It was a good vehicle for them. But, they checked on the cost of replacements batteries and traded it in before they had to undergo that expense. Since then, they've had all ICE vehicles.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukhntr View Post
    How you manage that one??? We gave $26 I think for ours. She drove it for 11 months and put 31K miles on it. It was great.
    I went back and looked, we gave $21k but it was a base SE at $25k. Picture of the actual ad, wish things were still that way.

Screenshot_20191001-225800_Samsung Internet.jpg

I drive a hybrid rav 4 for work and I am really impressed. We updated the wife’s 2012 v6 camry to a hybrid last summer. She really enjoys it.
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

My wife drove a 2010 Lexus RX450h hybrid for 12 years and 190K miles. Not a single EV issue. Just normal routine maintenance and tires/shocks/alignment stuff. It got 28mpg no matter how or where we drove it. Before we traded it, the mpg was deteriorating a bit which is a sign that the EV battery was dying. I would own another.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

16. Member
    Serious question. How much does one of these batteries coat foe a hybrid?

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yatesville88fan View Post
    Serious question. How much does one of these batteries coat foe a hybrid?
    Don't know but is good question. Recently I went with "internet search results" of avg battery of 7 years and new cost for Camary is 6k. this post was from a toyota dealer yet common knowledge says they last much longer. As a consumer, I don't nkow the real answer. if 6k is the cost of a new battery, then the battery needs to last about 11 years before it pays for itself.

zero fear in a Toyota Hybrid but I one 6 Toyota's and none are hybrids
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

18. Member
    You really only get hybrid benefits when city driving. Highway miles its pretty much no difference.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

The 2012 v6 camry got 20 mpg in town. The 2024 hybrid is getting 44 mpg in town. My wife doesn’t drive much. Less than 60,000 miles on the 2012 when we sold it last year
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

I have a 2020 Camry SE Hybrid with 59K, no issues, drives great with great gas mileage. I would by another one. I previously had a Prius that I put 250K on and only had to replace the windshield wipers and tires. No belts and very easy on the brake pads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast