Garmin Transom Transducer - Reading at Speed Question

Hi All -
    Just seeing where to buy this and the best price. I am a little frustrated to realize the GT54 will not read while on plane on my Skeeter....even though the GT54 comes with a transom bracket right from Garmin.

I called Garmin yesterday and it appears it's not expected that I get good readings >17MPH. I have the GT54 mounted in the HD metal transom bracket, same spot as where the Lowrance was working but no good reading bottom, or anything for that matter, over 7mph.

It looks like I'm kinda stuck buying 2 new transducers and the Y cable (GT30 and GT8) bundle to make this work. Is this the common consensus? It appears this came up before, I would like to confirm with the group, unless there's another option. I just get tired of tossing money at having to buy more add-ons to make this right...but I guess they got you coming and going. More $$ and time installing.

Also curious to hear where guys are buying these....deals, price, so on....

Thanks in advance

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Do you have a pic of your current ducer location? Which Lowrance ducer did you replace? If the GT54 is in the "perfect" spot, it will read on plane. Is it optimal to have that setup, no cause the best setup for something like this would be the dual ducer setup. Its not anything new, just need to research prior to buying products. All 3 companies (HB, Low, Gar) have these type of setups.

In my opinion, these all in one ducers are better for slower boats like john boats, and smaller aluminum setups.....any high speed boat would be better with dual setup. Now, you can buy the new setup but the shoot thru ducer may not be in the best spot or you have other issues to where it wont read.....

Yes, the common consensus is to get the dual setup. Before you buy, just know there are a few imaging ducers. You can get the GT30 or GT36 with the GT8......Any of our board sponsors that sell Garmin can get you the setup you want/need. Should all be the same price.

What unit do you currently have??
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

Very common with all brands using the large three in one transducer.s Not really designed to get depth on plane but some times you can find the sweet spot and can. I just added a GT54 to my fiberglass Astro and it reads on plane. Just got lucky I guess. I am using the stock plastic transom mount.

4. Member
    I am currently running a Garmin 93SV. I will get a picture of the placement. I'm using the exact same holes as the Lowrance. I had a Gen 2 HDS 9 with the Structure Scan Transducer, it also had the puck style in the bilge. I'm beginning to think the Lowrance was using a dual transducer set up - puck for for high speed and the external for side imagining and HD.

5. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trackernh View Post
    I had a Gen 2 HDS 9 with the Structure Scan Transducer, it also had the puck style in the bilge. I'm beginning to think the Lowrance was using a dual transducer set up - puck for for high speed and the external for side imagining and HD.
    That's why i asked....i was thinking that what you had.....the structure scan ducer was imaging only.....reason why you were getting reading at speeds......with that said, i'm gonna guess that your garmin ducer (being in same place) is above your pad therefore when your boat is on plane it is completely out of water.....before spending money on new ducer setup you can adjust the transducer to make it read or remove and move on to option two with the dual ducer setup.

Here is a quick reference video on installation....there are a bunch others on YT.....

6. Member
    Garmin 2).jpg This is where it is currently mounted. I could drop it a bit lower. The angle (hard to see) is parallel to level ground. I matched the same angle as the Lowrance. This is the GT54 in the HD Bracket. Let me know if you think I'm off a bit? Thanks again!

7. Member
    The video has me thinking I've got the GT54 too high. Thoughts???

8. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    No doubt that's why you are not getting readings......only part in the water when running is the pad of your boat.....only two choices, lower as shown in video i posted or dual setup......

9. Member
    thank you - I see what you mean. they mounted the Lowrance structure scan on the transom....not on the very bottom rise by the drain....there's the problem. Now to decide!

I get worried about whacking it with it being that low but moving it lower is gonna be a lot less costly than buying a whole new gizmo...hmmm

10. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Yep......one other thing if you fish waters that are stumpy, objects under water to where it would have a chance to breaking off, then i'd suggest the dual ducer setup.....that's the only thing about mounting them that low.....

11. Member
    agreed...I can see a high potential of getting whacked in shallow water. We don't have tons of stumps here in NH but occasionally I beach the boat to get out for weigh ins and such. I can also see weeds getting caught on it when fishing Champlain....you tend to run over grass beds now and again...that can be another issue as I've see quite a few get ripped off when you don't realize you're pulling a big mass of milfoil and coon-tail that you've been fishing through...you go to take off and then you hear the transducer it whacking your hull held on by the wire. Thanks, again for you help.

Putting it lower does not guarantee depth readings on plane either.