Trailer Disconnected

Weird question, I got a new 22' F150 and was towing the boat home from storage for the first time, hooked everything up as I normally did with my Silverado and went on my way. Got about 1 minute into the trip and the dash and truck began to notify me that my trailer was disconnected, and the truck had basically disengaged all safety features etc... I pulled over and checked everything, obviously nothing was disconnected and everything appears to be hooked up and connected correctly. For context I never had any issues with the 16 Silverado I normally towed it with. Possible it could be an issue on the trailer end, had issues with a tail light here and there on my 2015 trailer (Triton 18trx single axle)... I am going to hook up a different truck and test the lights etc... But even after I made sure everything was connected correctly the notifications and bells continued for the next 15 mins of the ride every minute or so. Anyone have any issues such as this with their connection to a 22' F150? I have a recall to service and was going to inquire with the tech but odds of that issue being corrected or found is slim without me being able to replicate. Was curious if anyone else had this experience, this will drive me crazy towing like this.

2. Member
    Try contact cleaner on the plug and receiver.
    My f150 did this occasionally, my Tundra never has.

3. Member
    Got that message on a new truck. Cleaned all corrosion on plug and receptacle and used dielectric grease. Been fine for 5 years

4. Member
    Thanks guys I will do that on all the connection both the truck side behind bumper and boat side. Appreciate it, keep you posted.

Had the same on my 14 f150. Actually had a wire break off the back of the receptacle on the truck plug. Look at the where the wires go into the plug.
    Derek Chance
    2021 Nitro Z19 Pro 200 Mercury ProXs
    BTS and KVD Line and Lure

6. Member
    I will crawl under and check it out, trucks got hardly any miles on it, cant imagine the wiring is bad, BUT these days I wouldnt be that surprised. Thanks buddy

7. Member
    We have a 22 and 23 that both chimed with my old trailer, installed a new plug on the trailer and no issues since. These Fords are extremely sensitive electrically it seems.

As mentioned, clean electrical Connections and the hitch and ball. My new Denali kept notifying me the left turn signal wasn’t working, and even identified the correct pin to check. Cleaned the contacts and the inside of my hitch. Once I put a few miles on it the message went away.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

9. Scraps
    Assuming you have a jointed tongue? It's the ground losing continuity going through the knuckle as the trailer bounces. That dash indication drives me crazy. What I did, run another ground wire from like the ground forward of the knuckle joint. Mine is underneath the tongue right behind the master cylinder. Then I ran that through the tongue to one of the grounds to the trailer frame. There is one on either side of my MM POS as the ground for the lights on either side of the trailer. Attach it there. Ever since doing that I don't get that pesky indication.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

10. Member
    Thanks for the tip, I will start with the connections and work my way to it. Great advice