Thread: Handgun optics

Handgun optics

I'm looking at putting a red dot on a handgun and I hear reviewers talking about it being a pain to re-zero anytime you take the optic off to change batteries or whatever. My question is, how far is it generally off when you put it back on? I mean, they usually mount on a flat plate with screws and pins bringing it back pretty darn close to where it was, right? I can see some slop being possible if there's some adapter involved but otherwise I wouldn't think the pins and screws would give you much leeway to mess it up. Please set me straight
    Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

BP, did you see this yet? AL

Image 3-11-24 at 4.53 PM.JPG
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17 90 SHO

Most quality red dots are not hard to zero out of the box or change batteries and get it back on track….. I would not worry about that. Buy good quality optic and do not skimp and you will be fine. Over the past few years I have gone strictly to red dots for all of the house, vehicle and conceal carry guns. I do not want any gun that I defend myself with or competition pistol without a dot. I started with HOLOSUN so I am partial to that brand. It is not the most expensive or cheapest however, it has proven to be very accurate and very tough. If you are looking for a dot for a carry gun, I would look at the EPS Carrry by HOLOSUN for a Glock 43X sized gun. I also carry a CZ P07 and. CZ P10C with a HOLOSUN 507C.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

4. Member
    If you wanted to hold cost down Swamp Fox has a decent unit.

I have one on my Hellcat OSP.

On my Walther I have a Leupold but it cost much more than the Swamp Fox.
    Last edited by 1Holeshot; 03-21-2024 at 09:41 AM.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    Most quality red dots are not hard to zero out of the box or change batteries and get it back on track….. I would not worry about that. Buy good quality optic and do not skimp and you will be fine. Over the past few years I have gone strictly to red dots for all of the house, vehicle and conceal carry guns. I do not want any gun that I defend myself with or competition pistol without a dot. I started with HOLOSUN so I am partial to that brand. It is not the most expensive or cheapest however, it has proven to be very accurate and very tough. If you are looking for a dot for a carry gun, I would look at the EPS Carrry by HOLOSUN for a Glock 43X sized gun. I also carry a CZ P07 and. CZ P10C with a HOLOSUN 507C.
    I'm just curious how far off you'd expect to see your zero after removing and replacing. These aren't super precise weapons to begin with. I'm guessing the reviewers are speaking for the majority of gun owners who have to make a trip to the range to zero or practice. Out here in the sticks, we shoot off the back deck.

Yup, I'm looking hard at the EPS carry for a Sig XMacro. Ruled out the Crimson Trace RAD and I think I prefer Holosun over comparable Sigs. Plus it has a battery tray so you don't even have to take it off. The one thing I've read about Holosun on this gun at least, you have to use the adapter plate because otherwise the screws are too long? Is this true?

I haven't looked at Swamp Fox yet 1Holeshot. Thanks for the recommendation
    Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

6. Member
    I tried using them and IMO this is the stupidest trend I have seen in the shooting sports. For a CC sidearm I want compactness, light weight, and simplicity. I tried one out and although I shoot slightly more precisely with it it slows me down bigtime. I ended up putting it on a large handgun that I open carry if I am going into the woods without a rifle or large revolver.

Batteries last a long time these days. Rezeroing every few years should not be an issue.
    "the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..."

The Holosun I have on my Sig 10mm does not require removing the optic to replace the battery. There are quite a few out there that don’t.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    I tried using them and IMO this is the stupidest trend I have seen in the shooting sports. For a CC sidearm I want compactness, light weight, and simplicity. I tried one out and although I shoot slightly more precisely with it it slows me down bigtime. I ended up putting it on a large handgun that I open carry if I am going into the woods without a rifle or large revolver.

Batteries last a long time these days. Rezeroing every few years should not be an issue.

This is the exact thing I said a few years ago “it slows me down”. I actually said “I’ll never buy another one” after putting my time in with a friend that’s a competitive shooter….like I previous stated I’ll never go back. Target acquisition, double taps, moving to shoot, split times, etc. I’m faster no doubt.
    www.ncboatguy.com

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post

I hear where you're coming from. If this was going on the EDC I'd be spending a lot of time practicing the draw and target acquisition but the extra bulk would probably be enough to disqualify it. I have a sub-compact for that

10. Member
    I'm in the market for a red dot for my pistol and so I've been watching a fair amount of YouTube videos. According to multiple videos I have watched, guys that have grown up using iron sights initially struggle with a red dot sight and it does take a little while to adjust. But once you do, most guys wouldn't go back to using iron sights again. I'm looking at getting the Holosun 507C but I'm looking at the green dot instead of the red dot.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    I'm in the market for a red dot for my pistol and so I've been watching a fair amount of YouTube videos. According to multiple videos I have watched, guys that have grown up using iron sights initially struggle with a red dot sight and it does take a little while to adjust. But once you do, most guys wouldn't go back to using iron sights again. I'm looking at getting the Holosun 507C but I'm looking at the green dot instead of the red dot.
    Yup, it seems the dot is almost always high and out of sight at first. Big debate over whether green is scientifically superior or not. A lot of shooters are saying hogwash. One guy points out that using a green dot with a lot of green foliage around could make it more difficult to pick up. One known drawback is the green draws down the battery faster

I can hit a 3 inch target at 25 yards much more often with my red dot. At 7 to 10 yards my accuracy is amost equal using irons or red dot. I do have trouble seeing my irons. They are a blurry or out of focus. I wish I could focus better with irons. My red dot battery doesnt require removing to change battery.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shafer22 View Post
    I can hit a 3 inch target at 25 yards much more often with my red dot. At 7 to 10 yards my accuracy is amost equal using irons or red dot. I do have trouble seeing my irons. They are a blurry or out of focus. I wish I could focus better with irons. My red dot battery doesnt require removing to change battery.
    You never said what your optic is.

There's a guy on UTube that I like called Honest Outlaw. He burns lots of ammo and reviews gear. Precision shooting isn't his thing, it's more about speed and ringing the bell but in one of his vids he was using a red dot on 9mm or .45 to ding a target at 120 yds. Looked to be about the size of a 20# propane tank. If I could do that on a regular basis, I'd be happy. Not there yet. Don't even know if I have a gun that's accurate enough.

You should check out his lists on the worst handguns. Can't account for what he's feeding it but when he jams on the first or second shot, it should give you reason enough to consider spending more than $150 on a carry gun.

14. Member
    I've got a Trijicon RMR on a Glock 45. I haven't had to change the battery yet bet initial sighting in was very easy, it's not like you're trying to punch the same hole at 100 yards so shouldn't take much adjustment to get back on. Picture for attention.

20231201_175658.jpg

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    I've got a Trijicon RMR

20231201_175658.jpg
    Triji is kind of the gold standard isn't it? That's probably a little out of my budget this time around. Leaning towards the Holosun EPS

Looks like an Apex trigger shoe..?
    www.ncboatguy.com

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    Looks like an Apex trigger shoe..?
    Wilson Combat complete assembly.

18. Member
    I put Holosun EPS carry enclosed emitters on both of my carry Sig 365's......I in red and 1 in green. I love them both and can't notice a difference between the colors. If you don't shoot red dots regularly, you will need to practice like your life depends upon it.....because it could. Once you get used to it, they are a wonderful addition and it will be hard to go back to iron sights.
    5 Short of a limit

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EJmagnum186-NH View Post
    I put Holosun EPS carry enclosed emitters on both of my carry Sig 365's......I in red and 1 in green. I love them both and can't notice a difference between the colors. If you don't shoot red dots regularly, you will need to practice like your life depends upon it.....because it could. Once you get used to it, they are a wonderful addition and it will be hard to go back to iron sights.
    Don't say that. I'm not giving up my Cheetahs