2013 Optimax ProXS Leak on Starboard Side Fuel Rail Hose(s)

I ran the motor on muffs this afternoon to purge the air in the under cowling oil tank as I had 1 single 3 beep alarm after 15 minutes of idling on Saturday. It never alarmed the rest of the day and it seemed to run fine by my uneducated eye.

As I was running it on muffs, I noticed fuel leaking at a fairly rapid rate from the starboard side fuel rail hoses on the lower portion of the fuel rail. I actually had my motor in for service a few weeks ago and they replaced the Orings on those exact hoses after noticing them to be leaking. Their notes stated that the Orings appeared to have fixed the leak. I messed around with the hoses and put some upward pressure on them and didn't see or feel any movement but they never leaked again after I fired it up and ran it for 15 minutes on the muffs.

Does it sound like the hoses just weren't seated well and worked their way loose trailering home from the lake or is their something else I should check?

SN 1B935365
    Last edited by BasscatJake; 03-20-2024 at 05:47 AM.

2. Member
    I would contact whomever you had replace the o-rings (were they a Mercury dealer/service center?) and inform them the hoses are still leaking. I would not run this enigne again until the problem is correctly identified and corrected - fuel leaks present danger of fire or explosion.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    I would contact whomever you had replace the o-rings (were they a Mercury dealer/service center?) and inform them the hoses are still leaking. I would not run this enigne again until the problem is correctly identified and corrected - fuel leaks present danger of fire or explosion.
    They are a mercury authorized dealer and service center

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    In most cases, you'll find that even after the o-rings are replaced, the fitting will continue to leak when cold. In such cases, the cross (balance) hose must be replaced.

WARNING: Very unlikely that you've properly identified the fault that occurred. You need to have the Fault History checked/printed as it's quite likely you had something else going on (for instance, a thermostat fault). If so, you are placing the engine at risk by continuing to run it.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    In most cases, you'll find that even after the o-rings are replaced, the fitting will continue to leak when cold. In such cases, the cross (balance) hose must be replaced.

WARNING: Very unlikely that you've properly identified the fault that occurred. You need to have the Fault History checked/printed as it's quite likely you had something else going on (for instance, a thermostat fault). If so, you are placing the engine at risk by continuing to run it.
    The thermostats were replaced when it was at the shop a few weeks ago.

Which hose is the cross hose?

6. Member
    connects the rails to each other at bottom of rails
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member
    Just want to confirm, is the correct part number for the hose 8m0188537? Looking at the diagram on Don's website, it shows 8m6001364 as the part number but has a drop down menu with 8m0188537 listed and that hose in stock.

8. Member
    8m0188537 is the newest number for the correct hose
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

9. Member
    Thank you! Just ordered the hose from Don. Figured it'd just be easier to replace the hose than fiddle around with the o rings more.

How do the hoses connect to the bottom of the fuel rail? Are they just screwed in?

2 screws hold a stainless clamp Brackett in place that retains both lines ( 5/32 hex Allen head)
    Then line are pushed into the rails, the O-rings seal that connection, they will be stuck in there, the O-rings do not want to let go, will require a little twisting and pulling to get them out.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Be sure to lubricate the o-rings LIBERALLY with oil (same Opti/DFI or Premium Plus) before inserting the new hose into the rail. Important that you use loctite (blue OR red, both have been used)- but use is SPARINGLY. If you slather that little screw up so it's drooling, the screw will probably never be removed again.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

12. Member
    Good to know! Do I need to bleed the air out of the system upon installing the new hose or just prime the bulb and fire it up?

13. Member
    no sir pump bulb key on start engine

14. Member
    Forgot to update this but the new hose came in on Monday (thanks for the fast shipping!). Got it replaced and all is well! I believe the o-rings that the shop replaced had an OD that was just a hair to big as I tried to reseat it just for shits and giggles and it would not budge the last 1/16" while the new hose just snapped in to place.

15. Member