Opti-Max primary oil tank

Mercury !B763968 pro sx run my remote tank low and got an oil oil warning. towed back and took home in the process of draining the primary tank found some thick krudd, honey looking in the bottom of the tank. I have took the remote tank out drained and found some in the remote tank. Cleaned tout both tanks out supper good and replaced oil filter in oil line. What else do I need to do?
    Thanks

Rick Wilson
    send2rwilson@gmail.com

2. Member
    oil pump prime is recommended
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +100 on having the Oil Pump Prime sequence properly performed.

Verify the float/sensor in the engine-mounted Reservoir is functioning correctly, also.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Thank you Both
    Thanks

Rick Wilson
    send2rwilson@gmail.com

5. Member
    I have the same issue with my pro xs. Any idea what’s causing the krudd?

RichW

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Richardw View Post

RichW
    Are you using DFI oil
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

7. Member
    Yes. The first time it happened I was using Premium pls. Switched to DFI and it happened again after two years.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richardw View Post

RichW
    May be moisture: It takes very little to cause congealing on the extremely fine nylon pickup screen.

I've seen one or two claims (one in this thread) that DFI oil was congealing on them. So far... I've not seen that in the gallons or bulk we've bought/sold.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    In both incidences the screen was clogged and the walls of the tank were all jelled up. Fortunately it didn’t appear to make it to the tank on the engine. After a good cleaning of the screen, tube and a bottle of Dawn to clean the tank it runs like new. I guess I’ll track down the source of moisture getting in.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Do you use a funnel at all?

Tank-cap fill or DECK fill?

11. Member
    Funnel and deck cap. 2017 Ranger 521

12. Member
    Better check the O-ring seal on the deck cap.

13. Member
    Is there a part number for a replacement seal o-ring for the deck fill?

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Depends on which deck fill it has. Most used a Perko filler neck with a faceplate that covered the "fuel" identifier with an "oil" identifier.

The Perko number is PERKO-0513DP8.

Don't overlook water traveling under the deck fill, down the neck and ending up wicking down the hose (loose clamp or deck fill not sealed to deck).

15. Member
    MERCURY - DECK FILL KIT - OIL - STRAIGHT ELBOW - 4 FEET - FOR 1.8 US GAL OR 3 US GAL REMOTE OIL TANK RESERVOIRS - 15969A3

I’ll check it out tomorrow. I also thought water could be migrating down the hose and being sucked in while collecting on the cap.

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That's definitely a possibility.