Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    I have a 23 18TRX w/ 200 Pro XS 4 stroke. My boat came with a 24P Tempest and I didn't really like the way it ran. I have since bought and run a 23P Tempest that runs a lot better. I have my prop to pad set at roughly 1 3/4 - 2 inch. One thing that I have noticed with the 4 stroke is not achieving the full RPM range. I am seriously thinking about trying a 22P Tempest. I know our engines are different but not really that far apart.
    2023 Triton 18TRX
    2023 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    80# Ultrex IPilot Link
    Helix 12 Mega SI & Garmin Livescope w/ 1242XSV GPSmap

2. Member
    I found a 24p tempest in new condition on marketplace for 400 dollars. I am waiting for the guy to answer me. For 400 bucks if it is still too much propellor, I am going to send it off to get it worked. My current dilemma is the 24p fury I have needs work. I can't send it without having another prop to run. So i for sure need to find a second one. What kinda speed are you getting with the 24 pitch tempest?
    2017 Triton 18 TRX
    200 Mercury Pro XS opti

3. Member
    If a 24p Tempest is too much prop then I would say you have a problem somewhere. A TR196 which is a larger boat with a regular 200 Optimax had no trouble turning a 25-26p Tempest.

Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    If a 24p Tempest is too much prop then I would say you have a problem somewhere. A TR196 which is a larger boat with a regular 200 Optimax had no trouble turning a 25-26p Tempest.
    Im kinda leaning the same way. You may want to have an actual marine mechanic check to make sure your throttle is working 100% or like i said earlier make sure you are running on all cylinders.

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

5. Member
    We checked the hotfoot yesterday. It wasn't getting 100% full travel with the throttle cable but it wasn't much. I adjusted the hotfoot maybe an 1/8 of an inch. Will report back when i run the boat this evening.
    2017 Triton 18 TRX
    200 Mercury Pro XS opti

Sweet. I hope that helps. That should be a good running boat

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

This guy has the same set up. In the comments he says 56 with "some left".

You may wana reach out to him and see if he has his dialed in yet

8. Member
    I watched this video and wasn't impressed with the speed he stated. It is obvious to me that he isn't set up correctly. I found a 24 pitch tempest online for 400 in like new condition. I am waiting for the guy to answer me now.
    2017 Triton 18 TRX
    200 Mercury Pro XS opti

9. Member
    Update,

I bought a 24 pitch tempest and hit 62 mph at 5600 RPMS, but the boat does lift way sooner. I am thinking that my motor is still too high so I am going to try to lower it today and try it again. I do have access to a 23 pitch tempest as well so going down another pitch may be an option. I have never had this much of an issue setting up a boat before. I am starting to wonder if the lithium tm batteries are hindering performance.
    2017 Triton 18 TRX
    200 Mercury Pro XS opti

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bbarras85 View Post
    Update,

I bought a 24 pitch tempest and hit 62 mph at 5600 RPMS, but the boat does lift way sooner. I am thinking that my motor is still too high so I am going to try to lower it today and try it again. I do have access to a 23 pitch tempest as well so going down another pitch may be an option. I have never had this much of an issue setting up a boat before. I am starting to wonder if the lithium tm batteries are hindering performance.
    Yes the lithium batteries could most certainly be a factor, not uncommon to loose a few MPH with lithiums. If you are only turning 5600 RPM I doubt you need to lower the motor, I would raise it 1/2" or so and try again.

Im with bassfisher... id raise it before I lowered it. Mine is up as high as my Zlock lets me go... I still trim it up all the way while at wide open.

Iv always heard Tritons like weight in the backend. So yea your Lithiums may be hindering your speed a tad. You should be turning about 5800ish

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim W View Post
    Im with bassfisher... id raise it before I lowered it. Mine is up as high as my Zlock lets me go... I still trim it up all the way while at wide open.

Iv always heard Tritons like weight in the backend. So yea your Lithiums may be hindering your speed a tad. You should be turning about 5800ish
    I am going to move all of my soft plastics from front center compartment to right rear before i move the jack plate again and see what happens. I am afraid that it is the batteries, but that is a simple fix if this is the problem.

I had the JP all the way up when i initially tried the new prop. The rooster tail was 10' higher than the motor and it barely touched 60. I lowered it about an inch and picked up a little bit speed.

the hole shot is incredible though.
    2017 Triton 18 TRX
    200 Mercury Pro XS opti

13. Member
    I’m betting you have a motor issue. A 200 Opti Pro XS should easily turn a good 26P tempest plus at 5800-6000 rpm.

Get it to a mechanic, change plugs, fuel & air filters, gear lube, & check tps, alternator belt, tensioner, alternator, fuel & air pressures. Setting up a boat w/out knowing the motor is running to spec is fruitless.

Empty the boat, fill the tank & livewells, add a co-angler, adjust to 3.0” ptp & run it. Make 1 adjustment at a time and when you are satisfied add tackle & adjust weight & balance to get performance back to how it performed empty.

Additionally, use gps speeds and smartcraft rpm data…..analog data is notoriously inaccurate.
    Last edited by Lightning 6; 03-30-2024 at 04:07 PM.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

14. Member
    I have the exact same year boat and motor with a 24 fury. 2.5 inch ptp. 67mph
    2017 18trx, 200 proxs serial 2B401503

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning 6 View Post
    I’m betting you have a motor issue. A 200 Opti Pro XS should easily turn a good 26P tempest plus at 5800-6000 rpm.

Get it to a mechanic, change plugs, fuel & air filters, gear lube, & check tps, alternator belt, tensioner, alternator, fuel & air pressures. Setting up a boat w/out knowing the motor is running to spec is fruitless.

Empty the boat, fill the tank & livewells, add a co-angler, adjust to 3.0” ptp & run it. Make 1 adjustment at a time and when you are satisfied add tackle & adjust weight & balance to get performance back to how it performed empty.

Additionally, use gps speeds and smartcraft rpm data…..analog data is notoriously inaccurate.
    5750 is the Max RPM for a 200hp.

16. Member
    That sounds like a great setup. Has your prop been worked?
    Quote Originally Posted by beagledogxxx View Post
    I have the exact same year boat and motor with a 24 fury. 2.5 inch ptp. 67mph

17. Member
    I stand corrected….I have an standard Opti and erred by assuming the Opti Pro XS had limit if 6000.

That being said, a good 200 Opti Pro XS should easily turn a 26P tempest plus to the limiter.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning 6 View Post
    I stand corrected….I have an standard Opti and erred by assuming the Opti Pro XS had limit if 6000.

That being said, a good 200 Opti Pro XS should easily turn a 26P tempest plus to the limiter.
    On a 196 maybe, the TRX hulls aren't as fast as the old TR hulls.

19. Member
    Update for you guys.

I moved my soft plastics to the right rear box and gained 3 mph. Just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, I moved them back while i was on the water and lost that MPH. I also noticed that the rooster tail was way high, like 6-7 foot over the top of the motor. That tells me the engine is too high. Not to mention the boat would not lift up on pad until i was getting close to wide open throttle. I lowered it about an inch and also added about 40 pounds to the bilge with some damp sand, gallon zip loc bags and a ton of duct tape. The rooster tail is about even with the top of the engine now and I am running around 65 mph with 3/4 of a tank of fuel and all of my tackle. The best part is when I start trimming up the boat lifts and I can run on the pad around 50 mph now.

The next step is a hydraulic jack plate with about a 10" set back. It is 100% a weight issue and I will get it dialed in but for now I am happy with it.
    2017 Triton 18 TRX
    200 Mercury Pro XS opti

Good deal. Im glad you are working the issues out. That speed sounds like the speeds you should be getting.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast