Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Anglers possibly not fishing Classic b/c of FFS?

So, this is from about a week ago, but just watched it and didn't see anything posted on it?

Caleb Sumrall was on the Juice Podcast last week and in talking about FFS he eluded to the fact that several Pro's are considering retiring b/c it. But here's the kicker, apparently there are a few who are considering not fishing the Classic even. The concern apparently is can they show up, do the media days etc but just not fish the event - would they still get thier $10K check/stipend if they don't actually fish.

Seems pretty outlandish to me, but maybe FFS is affecting some of these older guys more than we know... :(.

it was also discussed earlier in the podcast that there is some thought that these outlandish setups with 4/5 trandcuers and 6-8 screens etc are guys just trying to show how ridiculous it has become and and basically trying to force BASS to come up with some restrictions, etc.

Retirement/Classic talk start around 41:45 mark

2. Member
    If the older generation of pro's don't adapt they will have no choice but to retire. You cannot compete at that level without it now.

3. Member
    Guys spend their whole lives chasing a dream and then when things start to change and others become more competitive they want to boycott the greatest show on earth in Bass fishing. Sounds like a bunch of entitled sore losers.

And I am not fishing the Classic but it's not because of FFS.........

5. Member
    Boo freakin hoo. Plenty of people would love that chance.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by paulrodbender View Post

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wicker*man View Post
    Boo freakin hoo. Plenty of people would love that chance.
    Yup I didnt make it either.

8. Member
    I can see both sides of the argument and think some updated rules need to be addressed on the subject going forward.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie-Raven View Post
    the subject going
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie-Raven View Post
    forward.

I see what you did there!

I'm not fishing due to the A-Rig rule!
    If professionals who's careers depend on catching fish use FFS then that's what I'm using. Might be too simple of a philosophy but makes sense to me.

10. Member
    Anglers of Integrity

11. Member
    Not a chance anyone who qualified for this classic doesn't fish it. I really don't think the verdict is quite settled yet that FFS is the only way you can compete, however, we'll probably know a lot more by the end of the season for the two major trails. As far as some older pro's retiring because of it.. Maybe? But I'd guess if so they were already considering tapping that button prior to this.

12. Member
    I would go but can't figure out how to store my soft plastics.
    Hi Mike.

13. Member
    I would be beyond shocked if there was an angler who qualified to fish the classic and didn't actually fish it

A part of me feels like if they boycott fishing the Classic then they should immediately lose Elite qualification status.
    A part of me respects people who will make a stand for themselves as well but its hard for me to 100% agree with them on this one.

I do feel like the constant drama over FFS is gonna end up hurdling towards a resolution that is not gonna please people on either side of the debate.

15. Member
    Adapt or become obsolete......such is life

Its just not Fair! You should go to spite them!

17. Member
    Its been out for years where have they been? Im confused why this has became such a topic at the end of last year and all this year.

Ive watched most of the fish Ive caught for 3-4 years at least its not hard to figure out at all, it is HARD to commit to not FISHING vs only casting at fish.

18. Member
    I have serious doubts. Bass after dark on YouTube tried to get veterans of the sport to argue that technology is making a bigger impact vs talent and they couldn’t even find pros with balls to show up and discuss it. If they won’t even have a civil conversation about it publicly, you really think they will turn down a 10k check?

At the end of the day nobody is making anyone fish these tournaments. If the market / public demands ffs free tournaments, they will start popping up. They really haven’t, so that makes me draw the conclusion that online complaints don’t equal reality.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

19. Member
    What was the first elite tournament that was won with FFS?

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    A part of me feels like if they boycott fishing the Classic then they should immediately lose Elite qualification status.
    A part of me respects people who will make a stand for themselves as well but its hard for me to 100% agree with them on this one.

I do feel like the constant drama over FFS is gonna end up hurdling towards a resolution that is not gonna please people on either side of the debate.
    You can please some of the people all of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time.
    Hi Mike.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast