Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    A part of me feels like if they boycott fishing the Classic then they should immediately lose Elite qualification status.
    A part of me respects people who will make a stand for themselves as well but its hard for me to 100% agree with them on this one.

I do feel like the constant drama over FFS is gonna end up hurdling towards a resolution that is not gonna please people on either side of the debate.
    I remember many years ago a bunch of the anglers (can’t remember if they were part of PAA or not) discussed boycotting the Classic. Now apparently it’s being discussed again, but they want their guaranteed appearance fee?

That’s a line in the sand I’d bet the overwhelming majority of fans don’t want to see crossed. I think if you skip the Classic, you should lose your spot in the Elites.

Whether people agree with them or not, the guys who left to form BPT at least took a principled stand based on years of fruitless negotiations.

If BASS wants to make a change, they need to change where and when they have events. The way schedules/locations set up it pretty much runs from FFS to sightfishing and back to FFS. Old school legends like Denny Brauer wouldn’t stand a chance today, because the events don’t set up for his strengths.

Quote Originally Posted by Wackyjig View Post
    I thought NFL and NBA players were the biggest crybabies but my gosh some of these pro anglers are even worse.
    Pampers and kleenex should look into sponsoring some of these boys.
    Take away ffs and 300+ days on the water per year guys will still beat the hasn't made a cast since last September bunch.
    I don’t see how it’s any different than the non vaxer debate. Some are for and some are against. I’m sure their are plenty of opinions on that one but you can’t convince all that your way is the right way.

That’s pretty funny calling for Pampers and Kleenex
    Last edited by Delta Bass Fool; 03-19-2024 at 12:05 PM.
    '94 Charger Foxfire 180VF '96 Suzuki DT150S BASS

3. Member
    The real issue is batteries, lets start banning lithium batteries.

See how well they can run their screens on 12v lead acids.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta Bass Fool View Post
    If enough anglers possied up “ strike “ I think enough heads would turn and might cause a big enough stink in the air over ffs that something would have to be done. If those sponsors are ffs manufactures then not good for strikers but if sponsors like bait/tackle companies are not looking good because their anglers are not performing well in the Classic then maybe the sponsors would jump on the strike bandwagon.
    This idea that bait companies are going to go under and lose their ass to ffs is nonsense. Just look at fork, jerkbaits, glide baits, jigs all played. Plenty of guys hammer bass on crankbaits with ffs. Jig and minnow has always been a huge deal in winter tournaments.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

5. Member
    Restrictions are coming next year from BASS. Pangrac mentioned it a couple weeks ago on BTL that that’s what he’s hearing from inside the industry.
    2007 Bass Cat Puma
    2007 Mercury Pro XS 250

Quote Originally Posted by c rig View Post
    I remember many years ago a bunch of the anglers (can’t remember if they were part of PAA or not) discussed boycotting the Classic. Now apparently it’s being discussed again, but they want their guaranteed appearance fee?

That’s a line in the sand I’d bet the overwhelming majority of fans don’t want to see crossed. I think if you skip the Classic, you should lose your spot in the Elites.

Whether people agree with them or not, the guys who left to form BPT at least took a principled stand based on years of fruitless negotiations.

If BASS wants to make a change, they need to change where and when they have events. The way schedules/locations set up it pretty much runs from FFS to sightfishing and back to FFS. Old school legends like Denny Brauer wouldn’t stand a chance today, because the events don’t set up for his strengths.

I'm gonna say some things that might not be popular but if you look closely there is a trend. Some anglers bitched about FLW and BASS so the PAA was formed. it was short lived for many reasons with one being anglers were focused on invidual careers as opposed to the better good of the group. Not saying that was wrong to do as everyone has to watch out for their own interests. After the PAA folded some guys continued to switch between BASS and FLW and someone was usually mad at one of the leagues. There was always griping by someone that had switched.
    Eventually there was a lot of bitching about BASS and the BPT came to be, Some guys left on principle but a LOT left over peer pressure and FOMO. Guess what, many over at BPT are now bitching about BPT. These days some are back are also back to bitching about BASS. Even some that came back from other leagues they thought would be better off elsewhere are bitching about their current league.

My point is some anglers are gonna bitch no matter what a league does. I think the leagues try to please the greatest amount of their anglers that they can but they will never make everyone happy. I also think the reality is setting in on a lot of guys that they days of being paid JUST to fish are over. Its about who is bringing value to a company more than anything right now and some are struggling to accept that.
    I also know that ANYTHING based on and solely relies on social media has a shelf life. The guys that are only solely social media based will eventually have to adapt as well as things change will in the game in the future. The guys regardless of age that figure out how to change and adapt accordingly and just keeps at it will succeed long term. There will always be a need to be a good angler at the core in order to do well at the pro level. You can't be a one trick pony and last. In 5 years there will be more drama over something else in fishing. Its because its human nature. People are gonna bitch about something.
    Last edited by Mark Perry; 03-19-2024 at 12:31 PM.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bilgerat View Post
    As much as you say it's just another tool, which I don't disagree with, do you see the need for governing organizations to adapt some measures to assure uniformity ?
    Why assure uniformity?

John Cox fished for years without even using a depthfinder, the only unit he had on his boat was for mapping so he could figure out where he was. I don’t think he has a FFS unit on his boat now.

Every pro at that level gets a brand new boat/motor/electronics every year. Steve Kennedy for years used older boats and motors, and used greenie Curados that he bought at flea markets. He didn’t get his first Power Poles until a couple of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    This idea that bait companies are going to go under and lose their ass to ffs is nonsense. Just look at fork, jerkbaits, glide baits, jigs all played. Plenty of guys hammer bass on crankbaits with ffs. Jig and minnow has always been a huge deal in winter tournaments.
    Actually its not nonsense. You see it from a consumer POV. The actual sales and business side of it might see it completely differently.

But But But what about But But But. Boat, rods, reels, clothing, fishing line, nets, lighting, jack plates, motors etc etc etc. But But But their are so many different sponsors to consider, not just baits and what baits are catching fish.

10. Member
    LOL....yeah riiiiigghht.....your gonna see a Pro angler pass up a guaranteed 10k check....highly doubt this is gonna happen.

11. Member
    Sounds like a few just don't want to roll with the punches or get in the mainstream. I can see a new league forming with all boats being equipped similarly sans FFS and only a couple displays in front of them rather than a full horse betting setup like we are seeing now.

12. Member
    Actually it’s not nonsense. You see it from a consumer POV. The actual sales and business side of it might see it completely differently.
    True, I’m sure things are shifting. But as certain baits lose popularity, others ones gain popularity.

It was funny listening to the fantasy fishing preview for the classic Castledine mentioned, “I haven’t caught a bass on a spinnerbait on Toledo bend since 1993”. I think increased pressure on lakes has lead to more finesse techniques as much as anything, ffs or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Rangerdeepv View Post
    Sounds like a few just don't want to roll with the punches or get in the mainstream. I can see a new league forming with all boats being equipped similarly sans FFS and only a couple displays in front of them rather than a full horse betting setup like we are seeing now.

There is barely enough money to go around now to support the leagues already in existence. Who's gonna fund these leagues?

14. Member
    I'm gonna say some things that might not be popular but if you look closely there is a trend. Some anglers bitched about FLW and BASS so the PAA was formed. it was short lived for many reasons with one being anglers were focused on invidual careers as opposed to the better good of the group. Not saying that was wrong to do as everyone has to watch out for their own interests. After the PAA folded guys continued to switch between BASS and FLW and someone was usually mad at one of the leagues.
    Eventually there was a lot of bitching about BASS and the BPT came to be, Some guys left on principle but a LOT left over peer pressure and FOMO. Guess what, many over BPT are bitching about BPT. These days some are back to bitching about BASS. Even some that came back from other leagues they thought would be better.

My point is some anglers are gonna bitch no matter what a league does. I think the leagues try to please the greatest amount of their anglers that they can but they will never make everyone happy. I also think the reality is setting in on a lot of guys that they days of being paid JUST to fish are over. Its about who is bringing value to a company more than anything right now and some are struggling to accept that,
    I also know that ANYTHING based on and solely relies on social media has a shelf life. The guys that are only soley social media based will eventually have to adapt as well as things change in the game. The guys regardless of age that figure out how to change and adapt accordlingly and just keeps at it will succeed long term. There will always be a need to be a good angler at the core in order to do well at the pro level. In 5 years there will be more drama over something else in fishing. It’s because it’s human nature. People are gonna bitch about something.
    Very well said, Mark.

True, I’m sure things are shifting. But as certain baits lose popularity, others ones gain popularity.

It was funny listening to the fantasy fishing preview for the classic Castledine mentioned, “I haven’t caught a bass on a spinnerbait on Toledo bend since 1993”. I think increased pressure on lakes has lead to more finesse techniques as much as anything, ffs or not.
    The increased use of swim jigs, bladed jigs and squarebills have knocked down spinnerbait sales more than anything. Some of the baits Castledine has helped bring to market probably take the place of a spinnerbait for him regularly.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangerdeepv View Post
    I can go ahead and predict that if a league like that formed, it would be dwarfed in popularity by the NPFL.

I'm gonna say some things that might not be popular but if you look closely there is a trend. Some anglers bitched about FLW and BASS so the PAA was formed. it was short lived for many reasons with one being anglers were focused on invidual careers as opposed to the better good of the group. Not saying that was wrong to do as everyone has to watch out for their own interests. After the PAA folded guys continued to switch between BASS and FLW and someone was usually mad at one of the leagues.
    Eventually there was a lot of bitching about BASS and the BPT came to be, Some guys left on principle but a LOT left over peer pressure and FOMO. Guess what, many over BPT are bitching about BPT. These days some are back to bitching about BASS. Even some that came back from other leagues they thought would be better.

My point is some anglers are gonna bitch no matter what a league does. I think the leagues try to please the greatest amount of their anglers that they can but they will never make everyone happy. I also think the reality is setting in on a lot of guys that they days of being paid JUST to fish are over. Its about who is bringing value to a company more than anything right now and some are struggling to accept that,
    I also know that ANYTHING based on and solely relies on social media has a shelf life. The guys that are only soley social media based will eventually have to adapt as well as things change in the game. The guys regardless of age that figure out how to change and adapt accordlingly and just keeps at it will succeed long term. There will always be a need to be a good angler at the core in order to do well at the pro level. In 5 years there will be more drama over something else in fishing. Its because its human nature. People are gonna bitch about something.
    Well said. I can tip my hat to that.

18. Member
    The increased use of swim jigs, bladed jigs and squarebills have knocked down spinnerbait sales more than anything. Some of the baits Castledine has helped bring to market probably take the place of a spinnerbait for him regularly.
    That's what I'm thinking. But the last trip I made to Toledo, I caught 8-10 bass on a spinnerbait over the grass just like I did 30 years ago....

Quote Originally Posted by Boat4Life View Post
    That's what I'm thinking. But the last trip I made to Toledo, I caught 8-10 bass on a spinnerbait over the grass just like I did 30 years ago....

That is why the baits that earn a place in my rotation stay in my boat. Trends will come and go but you can tell pretty easily when a bait or technique is gonna become a mainstay.

Remember the whole spybait and flick shake crazes? I would think a spybait would be money with FFS.

Quote Originally Posted by c rig View Post
    Why assure uniformity?

John Cox fished for years without even using a depthfinder, the only unit he had on his boat was for mapping so he could figure out where he was. I don’t think he has a FFS unit on his boat now.

Every pro at that level gets a brand new boat/motor/electronics every year. Steve Kennedy for years used older boats and motors, and used greenie Curados that he bought at flea markets. He didn’t get his first Power Poles until a couple of years ago.
    That's fine then, every man for himself. No rules other than 5 biggest fish wins. You have a device that will disable everyone else's stuff ? Good on you. Where does it say you can't have one ?
    Ranting incoherently

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast