Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Would BASS considered this cheating?

This is a hypothetical but I believe it would have been big news and would have possibly considered cheating. There is a question at the end.

You would have to go back to pre live scope days. Say 8 years ago.
    Let's say you have a young Angler who was a good fishermen, who qualified for the Elites. He is also a computer geek and has been working on producing live sonar. He figures out how to do just that. He keeps it a secret as he starts his 1st season on the Elite series. He wins the 1st two tournaments chasing suspended bass. BASS is trying to figure out how he is doing this. He shows them what he developed, live sonar.

The question is what would BASS have done?
    Basscat Pantera 2

2. Member
    Nothing, if not forbidden specifically in the rules not much they can do about it.

I wouldn't call that cheating at all.

4. BBC SPONSOR
    I don't know how under any circumstance you could consider this cheating.

5. Member
    Aaron Martens basically did that, he was a sonar guru. 2D is just as live as ffs is.

6. Member
    No
    2020 Ford F150 Raptor (90,000 miles)
    2021 Nitro Z19 200 ProXS. Ultrex 112 Helix 12 helix 8

7. Member
    Cheating may be a little harsh. I don't think it's Cheating if it isn't in the rules. Would they have moved to ban it?
    Basscat Pantera 2

8. Member
    I'll play devils advocate here. He is gaining an unfair advantage using technology that is not readily available to the other anglers, thus creating an unlevel playing field. Could BASS do anything about it...not sure, especially since nothing in the rule book would directly prohibit it. But I'm sure his competitors would say that it's cheating.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass in the grass View Post
    Aaron Martens basically did that, he was a sonar guru. 2D is just as live as ffs is.
    So someone that is good with FFS could take a 2D transducer and aim it forward and do with it what he can do with live scope?

First guy to use a flogger was probably accused of cheating by some. Depends on what you would define as "fair play".

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    I'll play devils advocate here. He is gaining an unfair advantage using technology that is not readily available to the other anglers, thus creating an unlevel playing field. Could BASS do anything about it...not sure, especially since nothing in the rule book would directly prohibit it. But I'm sure his competitors would say that it's cheating.
    Basscat Pantera 2

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by novakevlar View Post
    First guy to use a flogger was probably accused of cheating by some. Depends on what you would define as "fair play".
    It would probably be assault if they didn’t know the safe word.

13. Member
    Most of the people calling out "cheating" are just looking for excuses on why they got beat.

Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    is there a difference between that and a angler having a new prototype bait that’s not on the market yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    It would probably be assault if they didn’t know the safe word.
    A lesson Trevor Bauer certainly learned!

Quote Originally Posted by JJohnSind View Post
    Most of the people calling out "cheating" are just looking for excuses on why they got beat.
    THIS

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    Toss some damp hypothetical wood on the fire and create a lot of hypothetical smoke so it
    becomes factual and ends up on a YouTube Video or Podcast.

Then pick out a certain Angler you don’t like and start insinuating his previous success was due to this and start watching the Clicks roll in.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RANGER487 View Post
    is there a difference between that and a angler having a new prototype bait that’s not on the market yet?
    yep home made lures? Not available to all involved.

19. Member
    You should look into the origins of FFS and live side scan technology and you will find there have been some pros out there using it longer than you might think. Years ago I ran a side scan transducer on my trolling motor, I could never find fish with it but after a lot of trial and error I was able to use it much like we use 360 now to find structure and bottom changes.

https://bass-archives.com/forward-facing-sonar-1979/

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RANGER487 View Post
    This is a good point. But I'm not sure I consider it apples to apples. Does a prototype, or homemade, lure give you an unfair advantage over other anglers the same way that a technological advancement in electronics can? Forget FFS and lets use the spot lock feature on trolling motors. Let's say the angler in the original post creates this instead of live sonar. No other company has created spot lock yet, so this one angler has access to being able to stay locked on a spot during windy conditions, making him much more efficient than any other angler in the field. Would this constitute cheating? Again, while the rules don't prohibit it, I would say that this technology gives this one angler an unfair advantage over his competitors.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast