Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar

Mariner/ Yamaha??

Did yami and mariner ever partner? Friend of mine is trying to convert a 30 hp looks to be yami powerhead on a mariner mid and lower.....to electric start. The only numbers on the swivel brackett say Mariner....689-s-024796 is this a frankenstein motor??

2. Member
    Yamaha made Mariner's for Mercury Marine for a number of years. Yamaha also made Mercury's for Mercury Marine for a number of years.

689S 024796 is a 1993 model year motor. Made by Yamaha.

Would be the equivalent of one of the following Yamaha USA models, depending upon the configuration.

3. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Many thanks....one last question...will that model # also work for lower unit parts.....that thing looks suspisously like a merc....Again thanks ya'll bailed me out a couple times....

I always heard that a Mariner was a Canadian Merc.... I owned a 1984 Mariner 115 and never inquired. True?

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    Many thanks....one last question...will that model # also work for lower unit parts.....that thing looks suspisously like a merc....Again thanks ya'll bailed me out a couple times....
    If a Yamaha lower unit, yes. If a Mercury made lower unit, I doubt it.

Some Mercury branded motors are all Yamaha. Some are not so.

What I do is to open up the Mercury parts catalog for a specific model and then open up the Yamaha parts catalog for what I believe to the similar motor. Then compare illustrations one by one. If the illustrations are one and the same that gives me confidence that Yamaha built the part for Mercury.
    Last edited by yam911; 03-19-2024 at 10:01 PM.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    I always heard that a Mariner was a Canadian Merc.... I owned a 1984 Mariner 115 and never inquired. True?
    My 1997 Mariner 175 EFI was all Mercury. Just the cowling and the paint was different. Made in Fond du Lac.

7. Member
    I think the Yamahas only went up to the 35HP. I had a 9.9hp mariner and it said made in Japan on it. And it started on first pull every time, right out of the box.