Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bleeding trailer brake system.

I had a caliper come off the trailer, and drug on roadway some, I am replacing it and the flex brake line to it since I lost all fluid. How to you bleed a trailer system?

2. Scraps
    YouTube is your friend. I seem to do better just using the master cylinder to bleed vs. a vacuum bleeder.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

3. Member
    https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread...0#post13101460

shop vac, 1/4” clear hose, 20 minutes. The 1/4” hose will fit snugly over the drain.

4. Member
    i used a 2x4x48 and a healthy son to move the trailer tongue
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubrail View Post

shop vac, 1/4” clear hose, 20 minutes. The 1/4” hose will fit snugly over the drain.
    I just bled my wife's car last night, dip the end of the clear vinyl tubing in hot water to soften it before slipping it over bleeder screw. Use a length of tubing long enough to elevate the bottle you are draining into higher than the bleeder screw, then you can bleed the brakes by yourself. Leave the bleeder screw open as you keep pumping the surge brake until the air bubbles stop and the old fluid has been replaced with fresh fluid. This method works because the air bubbles rises up the tubing, instead of going back into the bleeder screw.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrebass View Post
    I just bled my wife's car last night, dip the end of the clear vinyl tubing in hot water to soften it before slipping it over bleeder screw. Use a length of tubing long enough to elevate the bottle you are draining into higher than the bleeder screw, then you can bleed the brakes by yourself. Leave the bleeder screw open as you keep pumping the surge brake until the air bubbles stop and the old fluid has been replaced with fresh fluid. This method works because the air bubbles rises up the tubing, instead of going back into the bleeder screw.

You are correct and I have done it this way too, until I learned to use the vacuum. No pumping the actuator nor waiting for bubbles to rise etc. Just pull new clean brake fluid thru the system till its clear, clean and no bubbles. Takes one person about 20 minutes for 2 axles with brakes.

7. Member
    Thanks guys!

8. Member
    You bleed them just like car brakes. Hole under actuator to pump it with a screwdriver

9. Member
    Purchase a One Man bleeding system a few years back when I did my own trailer work, worked great!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Phoenix55 View Post
    Purchase a One Man bleeding system a few years back when I did my own trailer work, worked great!!
    Same here, just make sure if you use one when refilling the master cylinder don't let it get low enough to suck in air or you have to start over.
    21 Lund 1775 Impact XS 21 Merc 115 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Phoenix55 View Post
    I can't seem to find one of these that has a cap the fits my master cylinder. On Amazon they're all for cars with completely different type of cap....female instead of male like on my trailer.

Where did you get your's ?
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    I can't seem to find one of these that has a cap the fits my master cylinder. On Amazon they're all for cars with completely different type of cap....female instead of male like on my trailer.

Where did you get your's ?
    What brand of brakes are on your trailer? If they are tie down engineering this one might fit

https://www.motiveproducts.com/produ...pr_seq=uniform

Quote Originally Posted by jb882 View Post
    What brand of brakes are on your trailer? If they are tie down engineering this one might fit

Thanks but hard to tell from the pictures. Yes, mine is TDE. The cap on it is more like the stopper on a thermos bottle...all the ones I see are more like the lid on a jar of pickles....if that makes any sense.

I already have one of those hand trigger pump kind, (MityVac) that bleeds each caliper. That still requires someone feeding the master cylinder....Probablly, my wife. Oh dread, that's how I got into this brake problem I have. The last time she helped me it was like, "Oh! Let me look...I don't see anything in there....Oh! Do you want me to put more of this stuff in there?" I ended up with more air in the line than brake fluid and finally a frozen caliper. I've got brand new TDE calipers, pads and pins coming. I might recruit my neighbor, he wants to go fishing.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

The actual trailer once is just a cone. I have one for my Ranger
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

Quote Originally Posted by 1BADAIR View Post
    The actual trailer once is just a cone. I have one for my Ranger
    THANK YOU....Oh my gosh....that's just what I needed! I ordered it and got it coming. I put new calipers on yesterday and struggled with the hand gun pump thing. Almost a hundred bucks with shipping but I'll be happy to get it.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

$20 each to do buddys trailers !! pays for itself lol
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    THANK YOU....Oh my gosh....that's just what I needed! I ordered it and got it coming. I put new calipers on yesterday and struggled with the hand gun pump thing. Almost a hundred bucks with shipping but I'll be happy to get it.

I hope it fits, the stopper is for a 3/4" opening and the TDE is over an inch, at least mine was when i had it. I used to have one of those when i had my 882 and a UFP master and it fit t hat one but did not fit the TDE on my 08 Z7.

Quote Originally Posted by jb882 View Post
    I hope it fits, the stopper is for a 3/4" opening and the TDE is over an inch, at least mine was when i had it. I used to have one of those when i had my 882 and a UFP master and it fit t hat one but did not fit the TDE on my 08 Z7.
    Well crapola....mine is a hair over 1" too. I guess if I can't do some Okie Engineering on it or send it back and go back to pumping it with a screwdriver in the master cylinder. Hope this thing is returnable if it doesn't fit. Seems like every spring something keeps me off the water right at prime time.

EDIT:
    I looks like that rubber stopper is replaceable. I'll check it out when it arrives tomorrow and see if a rubber stopper from the hardware store will work. Also a few wraps of rubber stretch tape my git'er done too.
    Last edited by SoonerFan; 04-02-2024 at 09:53 AM.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubrail View Post

How are you attaching the bleeder hose to the vacuum?

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen View Post
    How are you attaching the bleeder hose to the vacuum?
    I wondered too, they make micro cleaning kits for shop vacs, but not sure if you can adapt it for 1/4" tubing. Maybe he meant a Mityvac?

I can't see the point in using a shop vac and getting brake fluid on fittings, hoses and inside the vac.
    Last edited by mikeky; 04-04-2024 at 04:43 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast