Trouble shooting Backing up brakes locking.

Just this weekend I started have trouble with my brakes locking up when backing up. I haven't tried a new plug yet but will this afternoon. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this problem. All the lights on the truck and trailer work as they should.

2. Member
    Check the wires going to the solenoid at the hitch it may not be getting power or lost ground connection. If the backup lights work the plug is good.
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

3. Member
    The power to the backing solenoid comes in on a blue or violet wire. Check fuse in truck if so equipped.

4. Member
    Marine master trailers has troubleshooting guides on their website.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

5. Member
    Good advice already given. Get yourself a backup tool to use when this happens again. They will save you some grief, trust me! I hope you get it straightened out!

6. Member
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    That look perfect. This past weekend I made sure I had a pocket of nickels.

8. Member
    I alway used the Seacured magnetic lockout. It stays attached to the trailer so I didn’t have to leave it in the truck. I had to use a lockout because my driveway is included upwards when backing in. Without one, the coupler would be too hard to get off the ball.

https://seacuredfishing.com/release-me
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

^^^^^^^^This one !!!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    I alway used the Seacured magnetic lockout. It stays attached to the trailer so I didn’t have to leave it in the truck. I had to use a lockout because my driveway is included upwards when backing in. Without one, the coupler would be too hard to get off the ball.

https://seacuredfishing.com/release-me
    Does this actually help with your issue? (Sorry to the OP) I have a devil of a time getting my coupler off the hitch because of an inclined driveway and the truck hanging on the curb. If I back onto the sidewalk and the hitch is more level it comes off fine but then the boat is too far back. Will use the brake lock-out it it really helps.
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoCAL View Post
    Does this actually help with your issue? (Sorry to the OP) I have a devil of a time getting my coupler off the hitch because of an inclined driveway and the truck hanging on the curb. If I back onto the sidewalk and the hitch is more level it comes off fine but then the boat is too far back. Will use the brake lock-out it it really helps.
    Another thing that often helps with this is to chock the trailer tire, put the truck into neutral for a second to take some pressure off the coupler.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassinB View Post
    Another thing that often helps with this is to chock the trailer tire, put the truck into neutral for a second to take some pressure off the coupler.

13. Member

14. Member
    how old is the trailer?, the older ones did not have a back-up solenoid, Drum or disc brakes?
    1998 Triton TR-20, 2017 Evinrude 150HO

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoCAL View Post
    Absolutely it helps and have been doing it this way for years. If I don’t use it, the coupler compresses a little bit, but, just enough to prevent it from releasing from the hitch ball.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S