Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

4000 Size vs 2500

Seems everyone is going back the 2500 size. what is the reasoning behind this?

2. Member
    Not only that, the Pros are using those sissy spinning reels almost all the time. What's the world coming to? (*sigh*).

3. Member
    I will never go back to anything smaller than 3000 size

4. Member
    I don’t like anything smaller than a 3000 for bass. Helps balance the longer, heavier rods and I like the line management more with the bigger reels.

I’ll use a 2500 for trout and 500 for ice.

use what you like, don’t let the fads lead you into something that you’re not a fan of
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

5. Member
    Not necessarily true...additionally, there is no difference in Shimano 2500/3000 spool diameters aside line capacity.

Also, there is a drastic difference between current Daiwa LT spool diameters vs Real Four spinners.

https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1216979

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Not only that, the Pros are using those sissy spinning reels almost all the time. What's the world coming to? (*sigh*).
    Its called adapt or get left behind. We've made a lot of money using spinning gear since the 90's (in a region where it was laughed at). Personally, I wish it hadn't caught on so much.

7. Member
    I've tried and experimented with different sizes and settled on 2500. Its called "finesse" for a reason. I'm sure preferences will be different for different people.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoneFishingLTN View Post
    Seems everyone is going back the 2500 size. what is the reasoning behind this?
    Bc rods are designed with a certain arbor diameter in mind, and going larger actually chokes distance. Also, smooth drag performance at settings for finesse fishing has nothing to do with drag washer diameter. Hopefully people are starting to realize that putting a 4k reel on a 7'ML freshwater spinning rod makes little sense.

9. Member
    Without question 4000 size reels. Benefits are undeniable.

Quote Originally Posted by reason162 View Post
    Bc rods are designed with a certain arbor diameter in mind, and going larger actually chokes distance. Also, smooth drag performance at settings for finesse fishing has nothing to do with drag washer diameter. Hopefully people are starting to realize that putting a 4k reel on a 7'ML freshwater spinning rod makes little sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by MainelySmallmouth View Post
    Without question 4000 size reels. Benefits are undeniable.
    I knew this was coming! Perhaps rather than rehashing the 4K vs smaller spinning reel battle, someone will just post a link to the last lengthy debate on this subject between you two.

Personally, I do not like 4K sized spinning reels on standard sized bass fishing rods, even something like the Steez AGS 76MML. Depending on the reel specs (line capacity, gear ratio, etc.), I'll use a 3000 most often, 2500 in some cases. I use Daiwa spinning reels primarily, and prefer the T-Knob offered on most 3000 size Daiwa models over the I-Shape knob on most 2500's.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    I knew this was coming! Perhaps rather than rehashing the 4K vs smaller spinning reel battle, someone will just post a link to the last lengthy debate on this subject between you two.

Personally, I do not like 4K sized spinning reels on standard sized bass fishing rods, even something like the Steez AGS 76MML. Depending on the reel specs (line capacity, gear ratio, etc.), I'll use a 3000 most often, 2500 in some cases. I use Daiwa spinning reels primarily, and prefer the T-Knob offered on most 3000 size Daiwa models over the I-Shape knob on most 2500's.
    Anything from 1500 Daiwa ABS spool generation, 2000 current gen Shimano Twin Power, to Real Four 2510 and current 2500 LT Daiwas.

It all depends on the rod it's pairing up to and the line and tech.

I only know one guy who uses a 4000 sized reel for Bass
    But he can't throw a BC and he using them for Jig Rods

I'm all 2500's with a few 1000's
    I get the 3000's, It's a choice

13. Member
    For bass the largest weight I throw on a spinner is 3/8 oz total. I never spool it or come close. For my personal uses 1000-2500 is plenty. I have zero issues with line management running a thin braid to leader. Y’all can keep your over sized 4000 saltwater chit

14. Member
    For bass the largest weight I throw on a spinner is 3/8 oz total. I never spool it or come close. For my personal uses 1000-2500 is plenty. I have zero issues with line management running a thin braid to leader. Y’all can keep your over sized 4000 saltwater chit

I've always used either 2000 or 2500 size. Right now I have the Daiwa BG 2000's. IMO I don't see the advantage of a bigger reel. I don't need the capacity and I don't need to make long casts with my spinning gear. I use them for plastics 99% of the time. If I were in the south, west or anywhere else there were consistently big fish, it may be different.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17 90 SHO

16. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    I use 3000's

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

Either 3000 or 2500 size spinning reels for me.

I prefer the 3000 size for any technique that I want a longer cast.

2010 Nitro Z7
    Mercury Optimax 150
    Garmin 106SV(bow), 106SV(console)
    Cayuta Creek Outdoors
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCw3...UvSxaeLpzFyYHA

18. Member
    [QUOTE=Bronzefly;13430283]I knew this was coming! Perhaps rather than rehashing the 4K vs smaller spinning reel battle, someone will just post a link to the last lengthy debate on this subject between you two.

Personally, I do not like 4K sized spinning reels on standard sized bass fishing rods, even something like the Steez AGS 76MML. Depending on the reel specs (line capacity, gear ratio, etc.), I'll use a 3000 most often, 2500 in some cases. I use Daiwa spinning reels primarily, and prefer the T-Knob offered on most 3000 size Daiwa models over the I-Shape knob on most 2500's.[/QU

19. Member
    Sometime back I was reading posts about spinning reels and Bronzefly suggested to someone to get the MQ series reels from Daiwa. This recommendation was enough for me to try them. I know own 8 of the Daiwa MQ LT-2500-cxh reels and couldn't be happier. It seems like reel size is dependent on what technique you're doing and what feels good to you. The 2500 feels good to me and works very well for my techniques and my bodies of water.

20. Member
    The spool diameter and capacity are not nearly as significant if you use braid as your primary line with a leader. If you want to use mono or fluoro heavier than 10# test a larger spool manages the line better. Line capacity should not be a concern with either if the reel is filled properly because very few people are casting more than 50 yards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast