Question Screw broke when mounting tranducer bracket to the transom

Can anyone help me figure out how to remove this broken transducer mounting screw? Despite pre-drilling a hole using a 1/8th bit per the instructions, the head of the screw just snapped right off. When I noticed it felt like it was getting hard to screw in I let it cool off a bit and then tried to back it out and it just snapped. Anyone have this happen before and have any ideas on how to get it out while being able to use the same hole for a new screw? Finally, I'm using 5200 to seal the screws, will that still work where it appears to have chipped the gel coat? Thanks for any help!!!

IMG_0735.jpg

2. Member
    I’ve use a pair of vice grips to remove screws like that before

3. Member
    Definitely made my stomach feel sick after snapping that off in my new Nitro boat. I'll give that a try, thanks!

4. Member
    FYI,
    Ditto on the Vice Grips to remove. (needle nose style)
    Countersink those holes before installing the screws!!
    Should keep the glass from splintering.

5. Member
    Seems like there are different grades of SS screws. Some go in fine and others break the minute there is a little resistance.

6. Member
    Thank you so much everyone! I really appreciate the tips! I'll try some Vice Grips here in a bit and hopefully it comes out. Then I'll do a small counter sink and report back. You are right d_smith, I've watched ton of videos where some go in just fine while others warn that they may snap. Unfortunately there are no videos on how to remove a snapped one lol I haven't seen a video yet that recommended making a small counter sink hole, however, that makes PERFECT sense and I'm definitely going to do that! Thanks again everyone!

7. Member
    Seems like there are different grades of SS screws. Some go in fine and others break the minute there is a little resistance.

8. Member
    this is why brackets vs into the hull are superior than punching into the boat below the water line.

9. Member
    Update:

I tried the vice grips and unfortunately that bad boy was in there so tight it just snapped the rest of the screw off flush with the boat. So I decided to just put some 5200 over it and drilled a new hole in that slot. I also did a small counter sink before screwing the new screws in and it went in with no issues.

Thanks everyone for you tips and help!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Basshopper View Post
    this is why brackets vs into the hull are superior than punching into the boat below the water line.
    I wished I had a transom jack plate b/c I would have definitely just mounted it to that.

11. Member
    I always go 1 drill size larger when drilling into gelcoat and ALWAYS run the drill motor in reverse until you get past the gelcoat to keep from splintering.

John

Quote Originally Posted by d_smith View Post
    I’ve use a pair of vice grips to remove screws like that before

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hagins View Post
    I always go 1 drill size larger when drilling into gelcoat and ALWAYS run the drill motor in reverse until you get past the gelcoat to keep from splintering.

John
    Good tip, thank you! Another great tip is to place some masking tape down before drilling the pilot hole. That worked out great for me. My issue happened when drilling in the screw. From what I learned, I think it is best to go up one size or find a bit that is just slightly smaller in width than the screw before screwing in the screws. That should prevent cracking when drilling in the screws and it helped me to not break off another one.
    Last edited by csilvey24; 03-18-2024 at 01:35 PM.