Damn Scout Mode Wrecked Me!

Used scout mode for the first time a week ago, and it sure opened my eyes as to why it is so powerful. I also then understood why so many are running two ‘duckers, and I had to join in.

I ordered a second AT2 and got it middle of the week. I didn’t have a chance to do the install until yesterday, and got the module all wired in. My first module is running off a relay so that the accessory switch turns it on and off, and the relay was rated high enough to support both so they are both now switched. I also connected the blue wires together for sync.

I found that the module appears to be defective, which sucks as I will have to remove it when the replacement comes in, but the hard part is done and it will be simple enough to remove the three connectors and swap it out.

I installed the ‘ducer today, and that went pretty smoothly and my cabling looks good. Bummed that I can’t test it all out tomorrow (taking a day of PTO), but I should be able to next Friday.

Im running dual HDS Live 12s on the bow, and one will be dedicated to forward mode and the second will display scout mode as well as the other functions - it is connected to the Ghost 3 in 1 as well as Ethernet and NMEA.

Fortunate that I had the first AT2 to test with, as I would have pulled my hair out trying to figure out the module was bad. I wouldn’t expect a new module from a reputable dealer would be inoperable. However, I was able to connect my other ‘ducer to the new module (no AT detected), the new ‘ducer to my original AT2 (works), a different (known good) Ethernet cable, and the only failure was the module. All lights were responding properly on the module - it just wouldn’t connect to either HDS Live 12 or my HDS Live 16. I updated my two 12 MFDs to the latest 23.3 just in case, but still no love.

2. Member
    If you are trying to run Dual AT2 for Scout Wide it can only be done on HDS Pro. THe pro has software in that allow you to pair 2 scouts into one screen which give you a huge wide range and distance for hunting. I have know moved mine to scout wide for spring fishing since most crappie and bass are shallow but can still use it up to 30ft without issue. Running them separately for 2 differnt views is doable but not paired on the Lives

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tunamann View Post
    Used scout mode for the first time a week ago, and it sure opened my eyes as to why it is so powerful. I also then understood why so many are running two ‘duckers, and I had to join in.

I ordered a second AT2 and got it middle of the week. I didn’t have a chance to do the install until yesterday, and got the module all wired in. My first module is running off a relay so that the accessory switch turns it on and off, and the relay was rated high enough to support both so they are both now switched. I also connected the blue wires together for sync.

I found that the module appears to be defective, which sucks as I will have to remove it when the replacement comes in, but the hard part is done and it will be simple enough to remove the three connectors and swap it out.

I installed the ‘ducer today, and that went pretty smoothly and my cabling looks good. Bummed that I can’t test it all out tomorrow (taking a day of PTO), but I should be able to next Friday.

Im running dual HDS Live 12s on the bow, and one will be dedicated to forward mode and the second will display scout mode as well as the other functions - it is connected to the Ghost 3 in 1 as well as Ethernet and NMEA.

Fortunate that I had the first AT2 to test with, as I would have pulled my hair out trying to figure out the module was bad. I wouldn’t expect a new module from a reputable dealer would be inoperable. However, I was able to connect my other ‘ducer to the new module (no AT detected), the new ‘ducer to my original AT2 (works), a different (known good) Ethernet cable, and the only failure was the module. All lights were responding properly on the module - it just wouldn’t connect to either HDS Live 12 or my HDS Live 16. I updated my two 12 MFDs to the latest 23.3 just in case, but still no love.
    Once you get the bugs out you will love having dedicated Scout and Forward on two separate units. I have it set up like that on both my boats and it is pretty fantastic. There were so many fish I was missing just trying to scan around in forward only. I've also found I can identify fish species better with Scout than I can with forward. Crappie have a very distinct signature and don't move very much. Stripers and spotted bass seem like they are on the move constantly, the striper just has a much bigger return unless it a yearling. Gar are very distinct and are fairly slow moving. I am not a shallow bass guy so I haven't learned to identify them from other species...yet. I can actually tell a deep bass pretty well on forward but haven't really had the chance on shallow ones on scout.