Daiwa baitcaster # TAELPF103XS

Just bought a new Daiwa Elite Pitch/Flip reel, have had a few Shimano Curados, BPS Extreme reels and a Revo STX. Never owned or used a Daiwa baitcaster or a "technic specific" reel before, do I need to know anything about this reel besides reading the instructions ? It seems very well put together, smooth and compact in size, any suggestions about set up or a reel cover ?

2. Member
    I used one for a season in my big trig and punching stick. Nothing specific you need to know other than it’s a joy to use. I ran 65lb braid the whole time I had it. Ensure the zero adjuster is set properly, which on all my daiwas it has been. After that any reel cover should work as it bypasses the handle. While not a heavy bait reel if you get a chance to try out a Zillion do it. I just wish they made a new zillion PF without the plastic hood.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TNBankFishing View Post
    I used one for a season in my big trig and punching stick. Nothing specific you need to know other than it’s a joy to use. I ran 65lb braid the whole time I had it. Ensure the zero adjuster is set properly, which on all my daiwas it has been. After that any reel cover should work as it bypasses the handle. While not a heavy bait reel if you get a chance to try out a Zillion do it. I just wish they made a new zillion PF without the plastic hood.
    The instructions say to have .02 of zero adjustment, does that mean to adjust the spool tension with a very slight side to side motion or does it mean to adjust until you have no side to side motion ? I have a spool of Spider-Wire Stealth braid in 40lb., can I tie the braid to the spool or do I need to use mono backing on the spool before the braid goes on ?

4. Member
    I would go with just into the point where the spool doesn’t move. They call it a zero adjuster but feel free to dial it in how you like. I don’t back my lines, but it’s really personal preference. Sometimes I wish I did if I blow up an entire reel of expensive flouro and I can’t pick it out in a tourney. If it was cheap or backed I could strip it and spin on more quickly.

5. Member
    One more question (don't mean to be a pain in the ass) , in the instruction sheet it shows the spool as solid, and the manual says to wrap the braid around the spool 4-5 times and then tie it tightly. But my reel spool has slots in it, is very shallow and only holds about 80 yds of line anyway, so I could tie the braid directly into the spool and not have the line slipping on the spool, is that why some recommnend backing, so the line does not slip ? The first time I used braid on my Shimano Stradic spinning reel I didn't use a backing and thought the drag was screwed up, once I put backing it was ok.

6. Member
    If you don't want to use a little backing, at least put some electrical tape on the spool so that the braid has something to grip. Otherwise you run the risk of the braid slipping on the spool just like it did on the example you gave with your spinning reel.

7. Member
    I have one and used electric tape and just hacking around I gotta say it’s skipable.
    Red Sox in 6!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    If you don't want to use a little backing, at least put some electrical tape on the spool so that the braid has something to grip. Otherwise you run the risk of the braid slipping on the spool just like it did on the example you gave with your spinning reel.
    My new reel has 6 slots in the middle of the spool, if I tie the line into the spool there is no way it can slip. My spinning reel had no slots or holes so the braid was tied around it and yea it slipped like crazy ! I don't skip but now with this new reel might try it, what bait do you skip with ?