Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Next smallmouth record will come from Idaho

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BayouBoogie View Post
    Private lake where they are being fed and raised to be the next record.
    This has been going on for 40-50 years , and nobody has come close, especially in the south. Texas has amazing big bass in most of their lakes, supported by stocking genetics from only the biggest bass. But Texas has not come close to even 20 lbs, and neither has Florida. A bass in warm water does not live as long as bass in colder water. California just happened to have the perfect place to raise world record type bass. Those deep mountain lakes are colder. A bass will live a long time without spending a lot of energy hunting food. Add in the trout stocking they used to do, and those bass were like overweight people being spoon feed high protein twinkies. Texas record just over 18 lbs has been around since the 90's. The pure number of big bass caught over 13 lbs would suggest they could do it, but with that many already caught over the years, would also suggest those bass have a ceiling. A place like O H Ivie may break 18 lbs...but I do not believe they will ever see a 20 lb bass there. Fun watching it all though.

Quote Originally Posted by WStorey View Post
    Probably a lake most have never heard of

This.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lakebouef5 View Post
    This has been going on for 40-50 years , and nobody has come close, especially in the south. Texas has amazing big bass in most of their lakes, supported by stocking genetics from only the biggest bass. But Texas has not come close to even 20 lbs, and neither has Florida. A bass in warm water does not live as long as bass in colder water. California just happened to have the perfect place to raise world record type bass. Those deep mountain lakes are colder. A bass will live a long time without spending a lot of energy hunting food. Add in the trout stocking they used to do, and those bass were like overweight people being spoon feed high protein twinkies. Texas record just over 18 lbs has been around since the 90's. The pure number of big bass caught over 13 lbs would suggest they could do it, but with that many already caught over the years, would also suggest those bass have a ceiling. A place like O H Ivie may break 18 lbs...but I do not believe they will ever see a 20 lb bass there. Fun watching it all though.
    Totally agreed. The gap even between 20 and 23 is huge, and Texas hasn’t really came close to a 20.

smallmouth record still has quite a jump too. Idaho is getting mentioned a lot, but they haven’t cracked a double digit yet like Erie did. And the jump from a 10 to 12 is huge for a smallmouth.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FishStalkerGuy View Post
    Next smallmouth record will come from Idaho
    I agree but we may both be a bit biased

6. Member
    Dixon lake Southern CA.
    Building and Fishing custom jigs
    Since 1977
    12.9 2006
    12.5 1998
    Favorite Lakes
    Eastman Lake
    Hensley Lake

I say CA for Large mouth
    And Lake Michigan or Erie for SM

8. Member
    Eastman lake central ca. FSLB introduce in1980
    Or Los Banos creek Reservoir. Big Bass in that small lake. 15 + few years ago. 5mph speed limit big bass boats trolling motors only
    Building and Fishing custom jigs
    Since 1977
    12.9 2006
    12.5 1998
    Favorite Lakes
    Eastman Lake
    Hensley Lake

Smallmouth-- I have no idea.
    Largemouth -- Not in the USA

Quote Originally Posted by ProVle View Post
    Do the Great lake's Smallmouth actively feed and grow year around, even in the longer winter month's ?
    This year they did.
    Bad spellers of the world untie!

You have to wonder if either one will ever be broken considering how many yrs have past and the amount of pressure put on fish.Most world records are genetic freaks and don't come along very often.
    2010 Ranger 188vx
    175 Mercury Optimax

Quote Originally Posted by TheBarBack View Post
    World record smallmouth is swimming somewhere in the great lakes... sorry Tennessee
    No need to apologize! Until it's caught, Tennessee will keep enjoying the record... and the one for Walleye too

Quote Originally Posted by TheBarBack View Post
    To an extent, I'm sure. Imagine if Dale had goby!
    I was kidding with a biologist here about a lake needing goby's to help with growing smallmouth. The look he gave me was priceless.

Smallmouth still might come from TN
    Largemouth I don't see it happening anytime soon
    No love for the spotted bass? Those are growing big in CA the last I heard.

14. Member
    I would surprised if California produced a world record LMB at this point. Lakes aren't what they used to be. And I don't think the genetics are either.

- 2019 Ranger Z185 - Mercury 150 Pro XS

At a golf course in florida near you . all that fertilizer, frogs and lizards

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbassman87 View Post
    I was kidding with a biologist here about a lake needing goby's to help with growing smallmouth. The look he gave me was priceless.

Smallmouth still might come from TN
    Largemouth I don't see it happening anytime soon
    No love for the spotted bass? Those are growing big in CA the last I heard.
    I haven't heard of a giant spot coming from california in a little while. I think those fisheries are very boom / bust dependent on kokanee populations. The Idaho lakes are similar.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

17. Member
    The drought definitely effected the fish here at Clear Lake and statewide. Numbers are down. Not many 12” fish in the lake currently. Pretty common to catch 6 pounders No Trout and shorter season than farther south. 17 pounder is the record here. That was over 20 years ago. Tons of pressure. I have heard of about 5 over 11 this year. Lots more Shad and Hitch than previous years.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    No need to apologize! Until it's caught, Tennessee will keep enjoying the record... and the one for Walleye too
    That Smallmouth was caught in Ky! https://premierangler.com/every-stat...allmouth-bass/

I just watched a video with Cooch saying how the big fish live in deeper water.
    '94 Charger Foxfire 180VF '96 Suzuki DT150S BASS

20. Member
    I would not be surprised to see a record LM come from a smaller under-the-radar lake with less pressure. The next record SM will probably come from the Great Lakes just due to the exceptional growth they show there. Next record Spot could come from a variety of places.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast