21 Z521 Gas Guage Issues

Has anyone had issues with their gas guage. Was running down the water with 3/4 tank and I just happen to look at the guage and watched it slowly drop down to empty. Not sure if the sending unit is a float type or electronic. Trying to troubleshoot it before taking the 3 hour ride to the dealer.

2. Member
    My 2012 518 came with a merc monitor and I'm glad it did. It has a digital fuel usage display that has always been perfect. if it says i have used 12 gallons and I go to the gas station my tank will only hold those 12 gallons i have used and its full. I'm not pulling seats just to fix something that's unreliable and probably going to keep happening. I don't even look at my speedometer either, it gets clogged a lot. I just use my finder for gps speed. Analog in this instance is just old technology that is not reliable.
    2012 Ranger Z518
    Motor Info:
    200 XS
    Serial number 1B882317
    Model number 1200P73EY

3. Member
    I ways was told on mine the float switch was the issue and the way it was designed by Ranger. I like others just kept an eye on the Merc gauge for fuel used. Then reset on fill up
    2023 Ranger 521R
    Merc 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

4. Member
    My 2017 has the same issue. But learned the hard way when I didn’t have it on my Navigation Garmin screen on my 3rd day of fishing and went from 1/2 tank to having the engine die. I got towed back when I was 9 miles from the ramp and had my aux tank in my truck with 20 gallons. During the tow my gauge went to empty and put 20 gallons in and went back to below 1/2. Went to my Garmin and it said the same. Dealer said it’s a common issue with the float placement and design. I ignore the Ranger gauge and just go by my electronic NMEA setup for all my data.
    2017 Ranger Z520C
    250 Evinrude ETec With Marks HP Prop
    4 Garmins 7610 xsv with Live Scope
    10 foot Power Poles
    Dobyns Rods