OX66 low pressure fuel pump delete mod

What's everyone's thoughts on this mod? I'm about to do it on my 2000 200. For the most part you only hear good things about it, but every now and then some people say the don't like it. Problems with being in saltwater, unreliability of the pump leaving you stranded. My boat will spend some time in saltwater.

2. Member
    I haven't done it because my mechanic (who specializes in Yamaha 2strokes) says it is a serious fire hazard and would cause problems with regulations.. A fuel pump with a constant on if the key is on in the back compartment where batteries and such are kept he claims is far too dangerous.

That said I've spent $980 in 6 years replacing those little bastards.

3. Member
    I don't think it's running all the time when the key is on. It's tied in to the high pressure fuel pump with a relay, so they only run for five seconds when the key is turned on if the motor isn't started.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpjumper1 View Post
    I don't think it's running all the time when the key is on. It's tied in to the high pressure fuel pump with a relay, so they only run for five seconds when the key is turned on if the motor isn't started.
    This is the way I understood to connect it to power.

5. Member
    Best thing I have done with the fuel system for both run quality and reliability. If your worried about a fuel pump failing leave the primer bulb in. I have had mine done for 4 years or so and finally replaced the relay. Not because it failed but I just used a cheap non sealed one and it had a bit of water in it. I would not hesitate to do the conversion again. Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OverTimeAgain View Post
    I haven't done it because my mechanic (who specializes in Yamaha 2strokes) says it is a serious fire hazard and would cause problems with regulations.. A fuel pump with a constant on if the key is on in the back compartment where batteries and such are kept he claims is far too dangerous.

That said I've spent $980 in 6 years replacing those little bastards.
    While your mechanic may specialize in Yamaha two strokes, he obviously does not have an understanding as to the details of the modifications.

He also does not understand the regulations.

7. Member
    The pump runs all of the time when the key is on if the motor is running.

If the motor stops but the key is still in the on position, the pump stops running.

8. Member
    You can get kits to rebuild them very reasonable and very easy to do.
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

9. Member
    IS there an issue with over pressurized fuel? I have looked into this with a 99 Carbed model. Pressure may be higher than the floats like?. Regulator? Like a Holly to drop down to 1-3 PSI?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smallie_Hawgin View Post
    IS there an issue with over pressurized fuel? I have looked into this with a 99 Carbed model. Pressure may be higher than the floats like?. Regulator? Like a Holly to drop down to 1-3 PSI?
    Yes. The can be an issue with over pressurization no matter what the type of fuel delivery system being used.

Holly makes carburetted fuel pumps that are either very low pressure or which can be limited to ~ 3 psi or so.

11. Member
    The red pump is like 5 to 7 psi and is adjustable. I have never had one not work on a outboard. Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    While your mechanic may specialize in Yamaha two strokes, he obviously does not have an understanding as to the details of the modifications.

He also does not understand the regulations.
    Yeah dude Im plannig to bring it up to him again, because I'm so sick of changing out the stupid things.

13. Member
    Follow up: placed a Holley fuel pressure regulator inline after the in engine filter, and works like a charm....