Thread: 200 ETEC Lift?

200 ETEC Lift?

Hey guys. I searched for this topic but didn't find anything. I need to replace the busted and cracked transom trim cap piece on my 519VX. I was planning on using a make shift sling using heavy duty tie down straps to wrap around the motor and support it away from the transom using an engine hoist. Will this work without damaging shrouds and cowling?

What I have done in the past when installing the sandwich brackets for my Talons was tilt the motor all the way down put a 2x4 under the skeg, raised the trailer jack enough to take the engine weight off the transom, loosened all four mounting bolts and then removed the bolts on one side at a time to install each bracket. The engine weight was on the skeg but it was always captured in place by the bolts one side or the other. I'm still going to use this procedure to help support engine weight but replacing the cap may require removing the bolts on both sides for enough clearance which at that point the hoist will be basically holding engine in place on its skeg while I replace the cap.

I wouldn't be concerned or asking about this if I had someone to help but I don't and will be doing it myself. Just curious if you think this will work or if anyone has a better idea. Thank You

There was just a recent thread on the engine lift ring. You can use a pully or bearing puller to make one. You can also make one with two pieces of angle iron bolted together and then drill holes where needed for the three bolts and the lift hook.
    If you use a strap, take the side cowlings off.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

3. Member
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

4. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    Thanks guys. From what I can recall when comparing my flywheel to the photos of the one in the link mine doesn't have the same bolt options. Could be a cover over it? I'll check it out. I'd much prefer using the lifting ring over the straps if I can. Thanks again for a bit of direction

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Model number would help.

6. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Model number would help.
    The motor is a 2005 200HP ETEC model E200DHLSOC. Its designated on the title as a 2006 same as the boat. When I bought it from the original owner he told me that since it was the first year that this was built (?) that it's actually a 225HP motor derated to 200HP so it could be legally be put on the 519VX. I don't know if any of that is true, but it feels and runs like a 225 to me. Plus I've never been able to find this exact model number in any parts diagrams when looking for parts. Fortunately its close enough to the ones listed that I haven't had any problems with parts fitment. Maybe one of the Evinrude experts on here can shed some light on this claim as well.

Edit - I found my flywheel on Crowley site. I believe I can rig up a lift per the BBC link provided with the puller and ring. Thanks again guys. I'm a pretty mechanical guy but again I was only asking because I've never pulled an outboard and I'll be doing this solo. Just didn't want to make one of those expensive oh damn it mistakes on my part.

https://www.crowleymarine.com/evinru...wheel-assembly
    Last edited by RangrSkipr; 03-18-2024 at 07:53 AM.

7. Member
    I had the same motor on my 05' 519vx.
    I used what the stickie shows to lift mine to add a 6" jp.

And yes it's the bigger block that became the 200ho motor later on.
    Mike

8. Member
    HO stands for high output. Outboard manufacturers are allowed to rate engine HP with 10% margin up or down. So a 200HO is 220HP.
    So a boat rated at 200HP can legally be equipped with the engine.

9. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    Man the rabbit holes I tend to go down with things like this

So searching the internet for more on the subject I found warnings about using too long of bolts and damaging the stator. Great. I also found this lifting ring on the Crowley site. I'd like to go this route but damn thats a lot of money for something that might get used once or twice over a 10 year period. I've got enough of those kinds of tools collecting dust in a bin somewhere as it is. We should start a tool rental or sharing forum on the BBC. I can't be the only one.

And thanks for the clarifications on the HO output

https://www.crowleymarine.com/evinru...37-lifting-eye

10. Member
    Do you have a balancer puller, like shown in the stickie?
    Ebay has some that are cheaper than oem.
    https://www.ebay.com/p/559750364
    Mike

11. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blkfalc4 View Post
    Do you have a balancer puller, like shown in the stickie?
    Ebay has some that are cheaper than oem.
    https://www.ebay.com/p/559750364
    Yeah I used too but I just went to the shop to find it and it's evidently walked off somewhere. Also pulled the cowl on the rude and looked at the flywheel and the lifting eye alone is not going to work so I'm back to finding a puller and going with the stickie method. I'm on it. Some of those pullers on eBay look good. Thank You

12. Member
    I plasma cut the ring out of a piece of 1/2 steel and bought a lifting eye bolt off Amazon for $8 and lifted mine last Thursday. If you want I can cut one for you and mail it or send you the dxf file if you have a shop in the area that could cut it.
    2005 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    250HP Evinrude E-Tec

"Haulin' Ass and Chasin' Bass"

13. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dbuchmann View Post
    I plasma cut the ring out of a piece of 1/2 steel and bought a lifting eye bolt off Amazon for $8 and lifted mine last Thursday. If you want I can cut one for you and mail it or send you the dxf file if you have a shop in the area that could cut it.
    Thank you for the generous offer Dan. Since it appears my puller has walked off I'm just going to purchase a new puller and go the stickie route set up. Also thank you for sharing the lifting eye purchase on Amazon. I found one and put it in my basket this morning. Best to you sir

14. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    Just by chance anyone is interested this is what I ended up going with to pull my ETEC

I needed to replace a lost puller so I bought this
    at Auto Zone $24.00

https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-a...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Lifting eye. I bought the three pack at $10.37 each. A lesser qty from this vendor raised the price to $16.00 each so what the heck. I've got a couple of spares should one walk off. The 5/8-18X1-3/4" threads on this will screw directly into the puller with room to spare to add a nut on the back side. Not required but if it makes you feel better about securing the rigging then go for it. I will

https://www.govets.com/gibraltar-310-74647249.html

(3 ea) 5/16-24 X 4" Grade 8 Bolts and Washers that screw into your motors flywheel. Local Ace Hardware $7.00

All in all approximately $57 total in cost for all but I've got a new puller some spare lifting eyes and safe way to pull my motor now.

Thanks for the recommendations and guidance from the members. Cheers

15. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Be sure to run a tap in flywheel threads to clean out paint and debris before threading the bolts in.

16. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    Be sure to run a tap in flywheel threads to clean out paint and debris before threading the bolts in.
    That sounds like a good plan but is this necessary based on your experience? I'm just thinking about shavings and crud potentially falling into the stator area. Shouldn't be much if any and not a big deal because the bolt is going to push some crap through as well. Maybe some grease on the tap will trap most of anything that it cleans out? I'm just thinking out loud and asking here because I really hadn't really thought about the need for tapping the holes.

17. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    It's just to clean the threads on the flywheel before you install the new lift bolts. I do it every time I use the lift tool/ring and I've been doing it for a couple of summers.