Thread: Rugby

Rugby

I’ve watched and been involved in sports my whole life but never really watched rugby. I sat down and was flipping through channels and a rugby game was on. I watched a few minutes and I have to say I didn’t really understand, but those guys are a different breed of tough!
    2015 Ranger Z520c / 2015 Mercury 250 Pro XS

2. Member
    It is basically football before the down and distance and forward pass were introduced. I watch it occasionally but it is not on often.
    "the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..."

3. Member
    I used to play in H.S., it's fun when you're young
    Proverbs 28:1

4. Scraps
    I didn't realize how FAST the game is.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

5. Member
    I have become quite a fan. Six Nations Rugby has been on for a few weeks, if you can find it. Sometimes it's on at weird times, I just record it. And yes, that is a different kind of tough. I'm even starting to understand some of the rules.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

Rugby players say:

8jh372.jpg
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

7. Member
    I played it in college. Frat brother started the team at our school and needed people. He basically drug me there. I was pretty small in HS so wasn't in football, but grew before college. It was a fun time, but semi violent. Had to run tape around head over ears because some people would try to rip ears off when in the scrum. Been hit a few times a heard every vertebrae relocate. I was a little lost on the rules, but the parties after were fun. Most schools had a woman's rugby club also, and they were fun to watch and hang out with.

I have no regrets in my life, but wouldn't mind being able to go back and have me pay more attention and learn the rules better. I might also tell myself the reason you can't breathe when playing is you have asthma.

I played for a while, here’s how it goes, play, beat each other to death, then party after and try to drink each other to death, every team had a local bar that hosted after games. Pretty good time.
    Mike Wright '07 Ranger 520vx
    Henrico Va./Henrico NC.

My ex is from New Zealand… they play serious Rugby there!! My BIL was offered an assistant coaching position on the All Blacks… he taught me how to enjoy the nuances of the game. Needless to say, I’m a huge fan! I played one game..in a silver back league… had to have the roots of my front teeth surgically removed. I was done!
    "When My Ship Comes In, I will Probably Be At The Airport"
    USAF Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Fishingfarmer View Post
    I played it in college. Frat brother started the team at our school and needed people. He basically drug me there. I was pretty small in HS so wasn't in football, but grew before college. It was a fun time, but semi violent. Had to run tape around head over ears because some people would try to rip ears off when in the scrum. Been hit a few times a heard every vertebrae relocate. I was a little lost on the rules, but the parties after were fun. Most schools had a woman's rugby club also, and they were fun to watch and hang out with.

I have no regrets in my life, but wouldn't mind being able to go back and have me pay more attention and learn the rules better. I might also tell myself the reason you can't breathe when playing is you have asthma.
    Like you, I played in college as well. I played with a violent mentality and was probably a bit of an aggressive A-hole on the pitch, but everyone had fun at the party afterwards. Grudges forgiven and songs sung. Best part was always the selection of the Rugby Queen and the "honor" that bestowed her.
    Azure AZ200 (with stuff like cupholders, bathroom and table)

Its a sport where each player is an athlete, once you understand the rules of play, its a really cool game. I am USRugby certified coach.
    It has struggles to take off in america. Most collage level is club, and has a decent amount of schools playing.

12. Member
    A good buddy of mine played well into his late 40's and thoroughly enjoyed it. He was always in great shape and could run a 4.38 40 which is smokin' for a short red haired cheesehead. Never understood the game and don't get into it at all but do know the players are tough as nails!

13. Member
    I'm an ice hockey fan and every now and then enjoy watching professional Lacrose, a lot of scoring, passing, body contact, and running, you have to be in great shape to play it as a pro.

14. Member
    Looks like the neighbors fighting

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoCialone View Post
    I'm an ice hockey fan and every now and then enjoy watching professional Lacrose, a lot of scoring, passing, body contact, and running, you have to be in great shape to play it as a pro.
    Been playing/ coaching lacrosse since 1973, you have to be high on the athletic specrum to play, and tuff.....