Best clear coat for Crankbaits

I’m not looking for anyone’s secrets I just made a few balsa baits and was wondering what yall would recommend for the clear coat Like I said I only made a few so don’t really want to spend a hundred bucks for a few baits lol thanks

The best/cheapest for only a few baits is Devcon 2 Ton 30 min cure

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

3. Member
    Thanks

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scboy29330 View Post
    I’m not looking for anyone’s secrets I just made a few balsa baits and was wondering what yall would recommend for the clear coat Like I said I only made a few so don’t really want to spend a hundred bucks for a few baits lol thanks
    I use lurecoat or Etex. I'm in Lyman- If you only have a few, I don't mind clearing them for you. I've got both coatings and a turner.
    Skeeter Sx186 w/ yamaha 150

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    The best/cheapest for only a few baits is Devcon 2 Ton 30 min cure

Mike, does the 30 minute stink like the 5 minute does? I can't even open the 5 minute epoxy in the house because it smells so bad. The epoxy I use is the Bob Smith Industries 30 minute slow cure epoxy and it doesn't have any smell at all, which is nice.

I never thought any epoxy had much smell. I have also used Bob Smiths 30 min. I have not used any epoxy in many years, But I started out using them.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

7. Member
    I like the Flex Coat lure epoxy. When I started painting baits years ago, I used the Devcon for my first ones. I've lost or given away all those early baits now, so this might not apply to mixed epoxy, but I have tubes of unused Devcon in the garage that have turned yellow over time. None of my Flex Coat baits have yellowed.

8. Member
    The 5 minute Devcon 2T epoxy stinks to high heaven. My wife will not allow me to use it in the house. Even if I use it in the garage, the garage smells for hours and hours until it is cured.

Most bait makers suggest against using five minute cure for a finish. I don’t believe you get enough time to work with it, and it’s not “waterproof” like the 30 minute

10. Member
    Thanks everyone for the advice and thanks Chad but I have already ordered the epoxy and the stuff to build whatever it’s called to.turn them

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    Most bait makers suggest against using five minute cure for a finish. I don’t believe you get enough time to work with it, and it’s not “waterproof” like the 30 minute
    Yeah, I never used the 5 minute stuff for top coating lures. I just have some that I've used for other home projects. It sits in a drawer in the storage room and you can smell it if you just open the drawer it's in.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scboy29330 View Post
    Thanks everyone for the advice and thanks Chad but I have already ordered the epoxy and the stuff to build whatever it’s called to.turn them
    No problem sir. If you have any questions or need any help give me a shout. I don't do too many, but about 10/week.
    Skeeter Sx186 w/ yamaha 150