Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mustang PFD Question

Hey guys,

I'm probably very late to the party on this one, but I'm thinking of buying a wearable Mustang PFD. I've always been skeptical of automatic inflate actually inflating when you need it, but I think I'm past that.

My question more relates to what PFD to buy. I'm deciding between the MIT technology and the HIT. I can read the obvious differences between the 2 on their web site, but hoping anyone with real life experience can comment. The knock on the MIT technology seems to be that in heavy rains, spear a wave, keep in a damp rod locker, etc, that the PFD will inflate causing the need to go buy a re-arm kit. While re-arm kits are expensive, I could buy 3 or 4 of the re-arm kits before I catch up to the price point of an HIT.

Besides that, fit and comfort as well are considerations!

Thanks in advance for the help and insight!

I've had to rearm my ONYX "bobbin"/pill style a few times due to rain or moisture in my boat compartment, I believe that is comparable to the MIT. I would like to buy HIT versions when finances allow, but I'm not worried about my bobbin style not working when I need it. It's just annoying when it goes off when I don't want it to.

If I didn't already have a couple of the bobbin style, I'd 100% buy the HIT version.
    2020 Tracker 190 TX | 115 ProXS | 4" Jackplate | Quicksilver Q4 21P Prop | Garmin Force w/MillerTech 36v-60Ah | Livescope |

YouTube - Fishing & Lithium Battery Content: https://www.youtube.com/@goodmanfishing/videos

3. Member
    I have both but wear my Mustand HIT almost exclusively.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

4. Member
    Ask Roger <GhostComanche> about em.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

I used to wear an inflatable PFD, but after hearing of a few instances where one did not inflate, I went back to wearing a vest. Even though the failure rate is probably extremely low, I don't want to be that one.

6. Member
    I have several but as stated above I wear the Mustang HIT and an Accel traditional 100 MPH life vest.

7. Member
    I have the Mustang HIT. Got tired of my MIT going off in the locker.

Quote Originally Posted by pabasshawk View Post
    I have the Mustang HIT. Got tired of my MIT going off in the locker.
    I am the same way.

A few weeks ago the steering on one of our club member's boat broke and threw his wife out of the boat. She was wearing a Mustang HIT and it inflated immediately.

The only problem with an inflatable, including the Mustang HIT, is that too many officers checking you on the water are still convinced that you must be wearing it for it to count.
    Sick, tired, hungry, broke, busted, disgusted, can't be trusted, been imposed on and won't fight

9. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Olebiker View Post
    I am the same way.

A few weeks ago the steering on one of our club member's boat broke and threw his wife out of the boat. She was wearing a Mustang HIT and it inflated immediately.

The only problem with an inflatable, including the Mustang HIT, is that too many officers checking you on the water are still convinced that you must be wearing it for it to count.
    so are you saying that is not the case. I always thought it was
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

10. Member
    I am the same way.

In Texas if you don’t have vest style in the boat along with the inflatable by law you are supposed to wear it at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Jim View Post
    so are you saying that is not the case. I always thought it was
    It depends on the class of the inflatable PFD. A Class V inflatable does have to be worn to be legal.

The Mustang HIT is a Class III in recreational use and does not have to be worn. In commercial use it is considered a Class V and must be worn.
    Sick, tired, hungry, broke, busted, disgusted, can't be trusted, been imposed on and won't fight

Quote Originally Posted by Cx21 Pro View Post
    In Texas if you don’t have vest style in the boat along with the inflatable by law you are supposed to wear it at all times.
    Have you ever looked up that law? The TPWD website says that "Inflatable PFDs are authorized only when used according to the instructions on US Coast Guard approval labels."

13. Member
    Have you ever looked up that law? The TPWD website says that "Inflatable PFDs are authorized only when used according to the instructions on US Coast Guard approval labels."
    One of my best friends is a Sargent, been a game warden for 25 years, I’d assume he knows the rule very well. I was actually given a warning at Fork from a warden for this very rule. I fixed the issue that day, really depends on what kinda warden you run across I guess. Other lakes I’ve never had it mentioned and after asking my friend he showed me the rule on paper.

14. Member
    The real question is, or should be, if you have an inflatable, why aren't you wearing it.

I'm a believer. 77 years old. Fell in last year, 43 degree water. Fishing with TM down. I'm convinced that I'm sitting here, writing this, because I had mine on. BPS A/M 24. Worked perfectly.

If you aren't going to wear it, buy a cheap class 3 and keep it in the rod locker, and wear it in tournaments. Keep you legal. Won't save your life, but your call if you want to wear one or not.

15. Member
    USCG – Recreational Type II (Meets minimum buoyancy rating of 33.7 LBS), Commercial Type V (Type II performance approved only when worn)

Notice the placement of the comma in the above sentence.

Discuss

(Taken from a Mustang model MD3183 HIT hydrostatic inflatable PFD product description)

For inflatables, there's Mustang HIT and nothing else. The rest ie the disolving pill/bobbin type are just wasting money imo. Too many instances of inflating in rod lockers due to moisure, inflating due to rain or spearing waves, or just not inflating at all when you need it to.

Both of my brand new Mustang HIT inflatables state on the label that they are approved only when worn.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Both of my brand new Mustang HIT inflatables state on the label that they are approved only when worn.
    This ^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    That is only part of the statement. The whole statement is "Approved only when worn, for use on uninspected commercial vessels less than 40 ft in length not carrying passengers for hire in lieu of a type III PFD, and when used and serviced in accordance with the owner's manual, which must be provided with this PFD."

The statement about it having to be worn only applies to certain commercial use situations cited in the statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Cx21 Pro View Post
    One of my best friends is a Sargent, been a game warden for 25 years, I’d assume he knows the rule very well. I was actually given a warning at Fork from a warden for this very rule. I fixed the issue that day, really depends on what kinda warden you run across I guess. Other lakes I’ve never had it mentioned and after asking my friend he showed me the rule on paper.
    When I asked a Florida game warden to show me here there is a Coast Guard or state law, she couldn't. She called her boss and he couldn't either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast