Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Be carefull of the "clip-on" units, read the reveiws, some have complained of them falling off, had a Stingray JR on my 14 ft. aluminum boat with a 30 Merc, it helped smooth the ride, better holeshot and slower on plane speed but mine was bolted on.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdwo2212 View Post
    His name was chris bailey. And makes amazing foils. Ive had one on my triton, and helped tremendously for stayin on plane at slower speeds. I too pulled my kids on tubes and thats why i got it. If you can find someone selling one it would be your best bet. As they arent made anymore.
    I remember reading that he passed away.

Wonder if anyone took over his operation? Seemed like people here were happy with his product.

3. Member
    Evansville, Indiana and Eddyville, Kentucky
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    You are a candidate for a larger diameter 4 blade. More blade area is needed to provide lift at slower speeds. The Bravo1 XS/FS or Marks Razor4 XL would be my suggestion. I can run 16 mph on plane w/o a foil.
    Yes, 4 blade helps a lot at slower speeds.

I agree 100% that a Bravo I or Mark's 4 blade Razor is a great choice to help with lower plane speed and hole shot. I also agree 100% that a foil will have the exact same results. I chose to go the foil route. Here is my reasoning...I could spend a few hundred on a used prop or several hundred on a new prop taking a chance that I got the right pitch or $75 on a Stingray that I know will fit and I know it will have the results I'm looking for. Now the trade off is an ugly ass plastic foil hanging off the back of the motor. I agree 100% they look horrible but yet I still run one.

I did buy a Chris baily foil because they don't looks as bad cosmetically but I removed it. The CB foil help and I'm not knocking his product I am just saying my personal experience was a traditional sting ray had better hole shot performance than a Chris Baily foil. I have never ran a foil with the thought of the lower plane speed. In fact I have never made the comparison on how slow I can stay on plane without a foil or with the two style foils I have tried.

So I guess here is my final thought. It come down to do I want to spend a few/several hundred dollars or $75. The catch is if I spend $75 I have something that appears ugly to the eye or if I spend a few hundred/several hundred things look normal. Both have the exact same results so the question is which one do you prefer.
    Last edited by JR19; 03-18-2024 at 01:18 AM.

5. Member
    Had a foil on my Prov150 when I purchased it. As stated by many, great hole shot and lower speed keeping on plane. I issue came when I was idling through some shallow area with motoer trimmed up. The motor cut out like the prop struck something and stalled the engine. Last stop of the day, so ran back to the ramp. Intially I noticed no issues, but while standing around during weigh in I noticed my foil was gone and cavitation plate was missing a large piece out of both side. I think what ever I hit was lifted between the prop and cavitation plate and using the leverage of a wider plane it snapped the cavitation plane on both sides.

6. Member
    I tried a baileys and felt it did absolutely nothing on my boat with a 2s 250.

This one was night and day difference incredible hole shot and low speed planing but it made the steering very very heavy.

I already always run a 4 blade.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14471814969...P7CBB6PH2E92PQ

7. Iowa/Wisconsin/Hunting & Gun Lodge/Stroker Moderator Wags's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by c rig View Post

Wonder if anyone took over his operation? Seemed like people here were happy with his product.
    No one took it over, Chris ran this on his own, and I ran his business FB page. If you are interested Brent Comeaux on FB makes a nice foil.
    LeaLea

8. Member
    Got a Chris Bailey foil on a Z7. Front end used to start hopping around 30 mph, after foil I could keep the bow up at 18mph

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahomee View Post
    I tried a baileys and felt it did absolutely nothing on my boat with a 2s 250.

This one was night and day difference incredible hole shot and low speed planing but it made the steering very very heavy.

I already always run a 4 blade.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14471814969...P7CBB6PH2E92PQ

Crazy how different boats can be. I put a CB Marine foil on my boat and it was unreal the difference it made.

10. Member
    A simple answer is Yes it will ! How much May depend on boat design. Where fuel tank is located and how engine is mounted on transom. I have a Chris Bailey foil on my Champion. Never GPS checked my boat but I am guessing 20mph or a little less.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by c rig View Post

Might be something in the works soon. Wont be exactly as nice as Chris's, but will be very close in design.

12. Member
    I can run on plane at 16 mph thanks to my Chris Bailey foil. Best $135 I ever spent.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning 6 View Post
    I can run on plane at 16 mph thanks to my Chris Bailey foil. Best $135 I ever spent.
    Agreed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12