Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How often do you change line?

I used to change line every winter and late summer. I’m not fishing now as much as I was, but I still change line now once a year in the winter, regardless of how much or how little use on each rod. Just wondering what others were doing.

Not trying to be a smart arse but I just change it when it needs changing. If spool gets low or I am concerned about it I change it.

At least once a month, especially when I'm fishing a couple days or more per week.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

I only use mono so I change fairly often.i always respool the reels I’m planning on using before every big tournament

5. Member
    Kinda like Mark. I feel of my Line and inspect it visually . I use floro and mono so that effects how often.

Hardly ever since I hardly ever go fishing. I typically check for nicks in the line when I catch a tree, catch a submerged Rock or anything else that may nick the line. IMO if the line sits in the sun a lot it can degrade and cause brake offs and loosing lures.

I use the R2S Biggie square bill the most followed by spinner baits and chatters.

I need to get back to slow fishing jigs, worms weightless & Carolina rigged & perhaps drop shot etc.

Thinking I might try some more top water this years using whopper ploppers, Rage Tails, double buzz, Horny Toads etc.

Then I’d like to try some more deeper water presentations like DT20 etc.
    '94 Charger Foxfire 180VF '96 Suzuki DT150S BASS

7. Member
    Not nearly as much as I used to when I was tournament fishing. I used to change out my line before every tournament but now it only gets changed out when it's damaged, getting down in the spool from break offs or just doesn't feel right.

8. Banned
    Every couple years or sooner if I think it needs it.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Not trying to be a smart arse but I just change it when it needs changing. If spool gets low or I am concerned about it I change it.
    That's what I do and has worked well over the years.

10. Member
    I probably should have said I use mono only. I just dont feel comfortable after one year. That line is the only thing between you and a lifetime memory.

11. Member
    Whenever it needs it. Which is often
    2023 921 Elite
    Mercury 25 Pro XS Bobs Hydraulic
    Power Poles
    Humminbird 12 gen4, and 3 10 Gen4
    Mega 360
    Mega Live

12. Moderator
    I remove line in the fall and respool in the spring.

13. Member
    I respool fluoro and mono every spring and then just as needed after that. Braid goes years without getting changed

14. Member
    I use what ever mono I can find on sale and change it when it gets too curly or kinky. I change my braid like once every ten years LOL.

15. Member
    As stated when it gets curly or kinky plus if I can break it by pulling on it with my hands I change it immediately. I mostly fish for bream and crappie so it doesn't have to be as strong as if I caught large fish.

16. Member
    This. I’ve never been concerned about line “going bad”. I like full spools and low memory though. This normally has me changing line every other tournament or after 3 or 4 days of fishing. I’m speaking of fluoro though. Mono last at least twice as long and braid way longer.

17. Member
    About every third monster backlash.

18. Member
    Same. I do strip my rods with straight fluorocarbon and respool to start the season. You guys don’t have an offseason like us up north ha

Since I’ve gone braid to leader. I change leader when it gets short or the FG knot looks bad. Braid lasts for several yrs.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

yep
    "When My Ship Comes In, I will Probably Be At The Airport"
    USAF Retired

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast