2003 Stratos 20 XL

I have a 2003 Stratos 20XL in phenomenal shape. I have noticed after the past few trips that water was in an odd spot on the “ledge” in the battery compartment where the top motor mount bolts are. I dried everything out and resealed the rubrail in a few areas I realized that needed it. I went today and got back and there was again some water, but not as much. I am attributing the amount being less solely to the fact I was only out there for a little while and the last time I noticed I was out all day. I am pretty sure the top motor mount bolt (s) are leaking slowly. I am thinking about pulling the top bolts one at a time, adding in some 3M 4200 and then putting the bolts back in and tightening back down. I am going to add it to the hole, outside the hole, and inside behind the backer plate. My question is, is this plan a decent one or should I take it somewhere and have the whole motor and jackplate pulled and then sealed? The bottom ones are
    not leaking at all so I don’t really want to disturb them. If its not the motor bolts, it’s the tie down hook bolts, which I’m going to do at the same time anyways.

So, carry on with my plan or no and take it somewhere and have everything pulled?

Rent an engine lift and so it yourself, but your plan is not a good quality solution. You have to remove the JP and get some sealant in and around the hole after cleaning the area well.
    You should also check the aft of the boat for the leak as these boats are famous for it. Behind the rub rail there are screws that screw the top cap to the hull. Those screws often break, and the hull & top cap separate a bit. Check for sealant separation under the rub rail on the aft of the boat and the aft corner. If you have sealant separation, you likely have cap/hull separation.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tdt91 View Post
    Rent an engine lift and so it yourself, but your plan is not a good quality solution. You have to remove the JP and get some sealant in and around the hole after cleaning the area well.
    You should also check the aft of the boat for the leak as these boats are famous for it. Behind the rub rail there are screws that screw the top cap to the hull. Those screws often break, and the hull & top cap separate a bit. Check for sealant separation under the rub rail on the aft of the boat and the aft corner. If you have sealant separation, you likely have cap/hull separation.
    ^^ what he said. At this point you do not know the bolts are leaking, so it might be wisest to examine the rub rail screws and sealant first. If your stringer supports don't extend into the area, you might add a cross brace inside the hull IF your bolt heads are sinking into the transom.

4. Member
    So I put in a couple days ago and watched the back top two bolts and after just a little bit the top left bolt started to have a little bit of water come through. The others stayed dry and eventually the water pooled up and ran across the ledge to the other bolt hole. I have narrowed it down to just that bolt head since I was sitting still and not running yet and had not even started the boat. I resealed the rear of the rub rail and each screw head a couple weeks ago. So I know it's not that and can confirm now it is a single bolt. I think I could do just the one bolt, especially as minimal as the leak is, but I may just go ahead and have them pull it and do it right. Thanks