Aerator killing my battery???

Hey guys, seems I have a strange issue going on and am wondering if any of y'all have ran into this. I have a 2005 TR20X and it seems like when I run my aerators all day, it kills my battery. That battery is an X2 Group 31, and I'm just lost. I can run my livewell pumps all day (without running aeration) and no problem. This Saturday I should be able to narrow it down to one side or the other. I believe the left side is the suspect side. As a side note, I have just 2 fish finders, nothing fancy...two Lowrance FS 9s. Any suggestions? Battery has been tested by Batteries Plus and they said it's in excellent condition, only a year and a half old. I've fished for fun all day with no problems, but come tournament day, I can't crank my engine from it being drawn down after fishing an area for a good while. I end up switching my battery selector to crank. Thanks in advance!

2. Member
    I would think you would have to do a running amp draw test on your aeration pumps and see if you have one of the pumps getting ready to seize up. Check for any restrictions of flow in the system that might be causing issues, compare the gallons per hour of the re-circulation pumps versus your fresh water pumps, maybe two different size pumps?
    Jerry "Rat-L-Trap" Lehman
    Never Enough "Traps"
    Triton TR-21 Merc Optimax 225
    Living Life Large at Toledo Bend

I'd run a power draw/current test at the fuses and see if they are reasonable.
    2020 Tracker 190 TX | 115 ProXS | 4" Jackplate | Quicksilver Q4 21P Prop | Garmin Force w/MillerTech 36v-60Ah | Livescope |

YouTube - Fishing & Lithium Battery Content: https://www.youtube.com/@goodmanfishing/videos

4. Member
    get new livewell pumps and retry it. not too pricey and never hurts to have fresh ones. boat is almost 25 yrs old also unless they have been replaced?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

5. Member
    Thanks for the info guys. After this past Saturday's tournament, I finally narrowed it down to my port side recirculation. I replaced every pump less than 2 years ago. I'm going to order another pump and see if it's faulty. I do know that it isn't constantly running. I will have to figure out how to do the other tests mentioned. I'll keep you posted.
    Last edited by Txbassfan1; 03-17-2024 at 08:55 PM.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Txbassfan1 View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. After this past Saturday's tournament, I finally narrowed it down to my port side recirculation. I replaced every pump less than 2 years ago. I'm going to order another pump and see if it's faulty. I do know that it isn't constantly running. I will have to figure out how to do the other tests mentioned. I'll keep you posted.
    https://www.amazon.com/sspa/click?ie...hdGY%26psc%3D1
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools