Ultrex steering head change

ok had my Ultrex for 3 years perfect timing for something to go wrong .Last trip out i noticed a noise when i turned the TM under power like a clicking sound but only when i was turning , i could turn without power no clicking When i got home i deployed the TM to check it out noticed play in the steering head and figured i was time to swop it out 300 bucks gets you a new one and it does not look a big job but i like to reference projects like this on Youtube but guess what there is nothing on youtube about changing out the steering head

2. Member
    Well I would say that if you did not find a Utube video it is because it is not easy. You have to remove the foot pedal cables and the head of the troll motor to replace. My advise is to bring it to an ASC and let someone who has done it do it. It will save you a lot of frustration and time.

Mine went out during pre fishing for a championship tournament.
    Long story short I had no choice but to replace myself. I'm by no means an ASC tech but have had the head and foot pedal off of one before.
    It's NOT easy. Like Brad says --- that's likely the reason for no video.

4. Member
    thanks guy i am going to give it a go lots to time on my hands (retired electrical engineer) lots of pics and cups of coffee

5. Member
    It’s not that bad. The hardest part is the steering cables. You might want to take some pictures before you disconnect them and label them. I would watch a couple videos on ultrex steering cable replacement to get familiar with them

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by richardZ7 View Post
    thanks guy i am going to give it a go lots to time on my hands (retired electrical engineer) lots of pics and cups of coffee
    HUMM. Electric Engernear. This job may be far above your means.

Quote Originally Posted by richardZ7 View Post
    Will make a good project then.
    As you know a few pictures will help when going back together. I marked the splines on steering gear.
    When I did mine it was in a parking lot with minimal tools and a short time to get it fixed. Not to mention an 8.00 drive into Ft Worth to get the part.
    Mine turned out to be the drive motor itself is just pressed together and had slowly worked apart causing the drive gear to get out of alignment.
    Good luck.