Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to prevent seat pedestals from sticking...

Lots of information on how to remove seat pedestals. Not much information on how to prevent seat pedestals from sticking other than keeping them removed. My newly acquired used boat has them removed, but they will not go into the pedestal base. Too tight. I've lubed them with white lithium grease. It's helped some but no dice. The only thing I've seen online is to keep them removed. They were. So, how do you PREVENT your pedestals from sticking other than keeping them removed? I assume I will need to wire brush and or sand the pedestal and perhaps base orifice to get them in.

I keep it removed.

Only time I have trouble removing it, is when I leave it for a few weeks.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

3. Member
    My rear seat is terrible to remove if used. Lubed it up but still hard. Never use the front
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

4. Member
    No problem with front or back pedestals sticking.

5. Member
    I spray my seat post and base with dry silicone spray every once in a while I haven’t had any issues with sticking.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

6. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by born 2 fish View Post
    I spray my seat post and base with dry silicone spray every once in a while I haven’t had any issues with sticking.
    Dont use seats that much but do the same with silicone spray.......
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

7. Member
    Put a small round wire wheel, one that will fit into the pole base, in a drill motor and push it to the bottom of the pole base hole and spin it as your pulling it back to the top. This will make a lot of plastic “fuzz” as it sands the walls of the base, vacuum it out and see if the pole fits any better. Repeat until you like the pressure needed to remove it.
    This has worked on many seat bases for me, no need for sprays and oils.

8. Member
    Thanks for the advice. I did the wire wheel on a drill and it freed up the post. Easy to put in and out now. Looks like this is an easy way to prevent this thing happening again.

9. Member
    Teflon tape on the threads.

10. Member
    Clean any rust from pedestal & lubricate with a small amount of petroleum jelly.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

11. Member
    Best advice I got was to put candle wax on pole insert…..

A few times a year when I'm wiping down my boat with Bass Boat Saver I'll wipe down the posts with the rag and then wipe it down with the dry towel. Don't know if it helps but I've never had a problem getting the seats out.

There are two fundamental styles. One is solid stem and one uses a taper lock with a notch towards the bottom. Using any abrasive method to remove wall thickness will reduce tension that retains the post.

This does not include the threaded posts companies offer.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning 6 View Post
    Clean any rust from pedestal & lubricate with a small amount of petroleum jelly.
    This is the best solution I've found

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    There are two fundamental styles. One is solid stem and one uses a taper lock with a notch towards the bottom. Using any abrasive method to remove wall thickness will reduce tension that retains the post.

This does not include the threaded posts companies offer.
    Agree. The previous boats that I have owned utilized the solid stem which I prefer. Wallowing out the orifice will leave it looser but you can always adjust with some type of tape if need be. IMHO the taper lock used on many bass boats is great until they are older and then you have mitigated severe sticking issues. For most younger guys who never sit it's a non-issue. They never use the butt seat anyway.

Get a steel bristle bottle brush on a drill lay a water hose and trickle water as you drill them up and down. Most are Brass bushings and when the dissimilar metals from a steel seat post it starts the corrosion process.

17. Member
    Lubes tend to get on the carpet. I did that on my first Champion, and I didn't like the results. The lubes made the carpet peel up and the pedestals stuck anyway. I ended up having to sand the inserts to make them easier to release. Don't take too much off because the pedestals will wobble if you do. Also, make sure the edge of your carpet is not in the way. My current Champion has a tight fit on both ends of the boat, but I have never had to lube them. The brand new carpet job is amazing, but I did have to trim the edges around the insert holes.

18. Member
    If it's a Ranger spring-lok, it's pretty easy to replace the plastic insert and all will be well again for a few years.
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Championmac View Post
    Lubes tend to get on the carpet. I did that on my first Champion, and I didn't like the results. The lubes made the carpet peel up and the pedestals stuck anyway. I ended up having to sand the inserts to make them easier to release. Don't take too much off because the pedestals will wobble if you do. Also, make sure the edge of your carpet is not in the way. My current Champion has a tight fit on both ends of the boat, but I have never had to lube them. The brand new carpet job is amazing, but I did have to trim the edges around the insert holes.

Boeshield T-9! It's basically a spray on wax. Dries within about a minute and then it won't get in anything.

https://amzn.to/3PC0Jaf

I have the seats in for my cover. And I have a few friends who like to use the back seat. I just hit the post and hole with some Reel Magic every once n a while. Seems to do the trick for me. No issues sticking.
    Ranger Z-20, Yamaha F225.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast