225 Pro XS fault code 104-16 S/N 3B434028

On Vessel View Moble this code says ignition circuit 4. The ECU has detected a problem when trying to output a signal to this device. This is a new repower on an older Bass Cat Jaguar. Engine has only 15.1 hours on it. Has been running good as far as I can tell but there has been some carbon build up in prop hub. Took back to dealer to make sure demand liner was still at 100% which the dealer told me it was there at install. After checking again it was only about 87%. He tried to adjust the hot foot but could only get it to 96%. Told me might need to change out hot foot an cable. Started with new cable. Told me to try it an see what might happen as I am looking to reprop an wanted to know what direction to go in. As soon as I got boat back on the water fault code started showing up before I could even try to check rpm's after adjustment to hot foot. Boat is back at dealer to check problem but have not heard back anything yet. Was just wondering if fault could cause demand liner to not read properly. Have only been able to get to 5550 rpm's after breakin. Prop seems to have had carbon build up since after a few hours use an didn't know if this was normal. Thanks for any input as I wait for dealer to get back with me.
    1996 Bass Cat Jaguar 2024 Mercury 225 Pro XS serial # 3B434028

2. Member
    Might be a plug wire or a fouling plug causing the carbon buildup.Are you using any additives(Quikleen,Quikare)in your gas?

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Check plugs and wires. Wires should be resistance
    tested- and of course a spark test.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Have used the fuel additives since the motor was new. Just finished the break in an was trying to get every thing dialed in when the fault thing started. Did notice the carbon thing from the very beginning since the motor was first put into service. Still waiting on info from the dealer.

5. Member
    Dealer finally took my boat out to try to solve the code issue. Asked me to go with the tech to drive boat. He hooked up his lap top to watch it while running boat. He had ran in the shop at idle but did not get any faults. As soon as we got it going above 4000 rpm fault started going off. Ran it about 5 minuets and it went off 4 times. Stopped and had me run up to 2000 rpm he did some kind of test turning off each cylinder 1 at a time. Did not see any thing abnormal. Told me the fault would trigger then go away. Ran back to the boat ramp an got fault 3 more times. The same thing happened. Would trigger the fault then it would go away. Told me that he had never seen anything like that before. He told me he made some type of recording of the short run back in an was now going to have to get with Mercury as he has no idea what the problem might be. Still no boat an now going to have to wait and see what Mercury says he might need to do to try an fix the problem. Will report back once I get more info.