Running new wire

I have a 23zxr 20 and have a mega 360coming. I am going to go ahead and run new 8 gauge wires to the front for power for it, and some kind of live sonar and add another graph for the front. For those who have done it, is it easier to go down the port side with the wire, or the starboard side, also I know that there are extra sets of power already wired to the front. They are hot all the time, and I can turn on my graphs and trolling motor even though the switch in the back is turned off, is this normal? Thanks for any responses, I just want to make sure everything is done right

2. Member
    I ran mine down the port side to Blue Seas fuse box in the center tackle locker. Don't have to mess with the mess on the starboard side.

There are wire loops (at least on my ZX200) underneath the gunnel cap over the rod locker. Way up there, hard to find. You WILL be bleeding.

If you do something similar, you will have to support the wire where it crosses over your rod tips. Right now mine is held up with gorilla tape until I find what I want for permanent support.

There are some Skeeter power leads at my bow also. I don't know if they are switched or not. Not using, or planning to.

3. Member
    I thought the new skeeter bass boats came with 8 ga wire?

4. Member
    They are 8 gauge wire, but they are hot all the time, I'm looking to be able to disconnect it in the back since I'm back there anyway

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kclilsam1 View Post
    They are 8 gauge wire, but they are hot all the time, I'm looking to be able to disconnect it in the back since I'm back there anyway
    My 2024 has a house battery and a cranking battery which are on their own perko switch. When I'm done fishing I just turn the perko switch off. The only draw back in my opinion is if I need to just reset say a graph or Ethernet switch I have to power everything off and back on. Also, remembering to actually turn the perko switch off when needed.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

6. Member
    If that is all you are tying to do, you should be able to come off the factory bus bar. If you don't want to do it that way, just install a switch.

Are you trying to power off at the main switch (real switch) near the transom, or via the power switch at the console?

7. Member
    I ran a pair of 8 gauge and a pair of 10 gauge on my ZXR up the starboard side. I connected them to the large perko style switch at the rear of the boat. I turn that switch off before I plug the charger in each time.

8. Member
    Thats the way I am leaning, I'll connect it to the switch in the back. I want to be able to kill the power to them without having to open my rod boxes. Thanks to all for the suggestions

9. Member
    You are way over complicating this. Factory already runs 8 ga wire. Just put in a switch in the back and a fuse block up front. If you get an fxr, there is already a switch in the back.
    2023 Skeeter FXR20
    Lake Guntersville