Jig fishing in Florida.

I am fairly new to jig fishing, and just moved here to florida, about 3 yrs ago. I love using a swim jig and have had pretty good luck, doing so but just a regular jig, i just can't get myself to tie one on. I have a flipping rod, and again, just don't pick it up enough to get any experience. I guess what i am trying to find out, is where do you throw a jig? Do you throw into the grass clumps, edges of them, under docks, even though there may only be 3-4' of water? The shallow water itself, i just have a hard time getting used to fishing it, with anything subsurface, other than a swim jig. I am hoping someone can take the time to sorta educate me on fishing a jig, and the hows, whens, and wheres. Colors are pretty much the norm of GP, Blk/Blue, or Black i would guess.
    2004 Ranger 185VS
    150 Evinrude
    2 Lowrance 12" graphs
    Daiwa Rods & Reels
    Favorite saying "JUST 1 MORE".

2. Member
    Flip them all the time around mats, cattails, Kissimmee grass, buggy whips, and any mats. Gambler Jigzilla. Black blue fleck with matching craw trailer. 1 to 1-1/2 ounce size. Cold spring days usually best time but I always have one tied on and on the deck when fish are shallow.It’s not a numbers bait but usually when you get bit it’s the size your looking for.

Never tried it but I have heard of guys throwing football jigs offshore around brush piles.

4. Member
    If you want action, I don’t think you will like jig fishing like you are talking about. But when you find one in the junk, it will usually be a real good fish. The bites are just not frequent enough to keep me interested. Also, a lot of places I fish are shallow with years of vegetation that has died and makes a layer of muck on the bottom. I can fish a swim jig for sure but a heavy jig punching mats is just boring to me. I would rather fish something else. I find a pitching setup with an ounce or so weight pegged fished with a creature bait to be better. The weight sinks down in the muck and the bait floats above it.... the jig just sinks down into it. Maybe I am just not good enough with the jig.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

i like a Medlock jig in the cattails and buggy whips. black and blue, 3/4 oz

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ohbass4me View Post
    i like a Medlock jig in the cattails and buggy whips. black and blue, 3/4 oz
    This is the Florida standard flipping jig - especially like it in reeds and Kissimmee grass in May through July. Unlike the other states, the big flipping jig is a bream imitator and not a crawfish imitator.