Question Which map chip for Humminbird 997? Navionics or Lakemaster?

Navionics is not suppose to have as much detail or options like water level adjustments to match contour lines to actual water levels like Lakemaster maps can do but I have read some people having issues with the single CPU graphs like that of the 997 which is said equates to the graph not having enough computing power to render all the data required to pull up all the contour line details.

Does any one have experience with this?
    '94 Charger Foxfire 180VF '96 Suzuki DT150S BASS

A friend of mine gave me a 997 because the gps stop working. This was around 5 or so years ago. Come to find out it was a bad antenna. I don’t remember the exact number channels/satellites or whatever it’s called but an antenna like my bad one was no longer in production. There was an updated antenna with more channels/satellites available that would work with my unit but in order for it to work I had to update the software in the 997. I’m thinking I’m using a Navionics’s map card but I’m not 100% for sure. My unit works and has great contour detail. My one and only issue is it is super slow to load the map when you power it up. Sometimes it may take multiple attempts and 5 minutes all together. Other than that I have zero issues. Even if the map didn’t work I would still use it for free side scan.

I’ve been told the reason my unit is slow is because I’m running a higher version software and a different antenna. IDK if the map type plays anything in my slow speed but I guess it is possible.
    Last edited by JR19; 03-13-2024 at 02:21 AM.

3. Member
    I still use a 997. Have both cards that I switch out depending on what lake I'm at. Lakemaster is better but doesn't cover every lake in HD.

I just replaced my antenna puck two days ago after discovering no GPS. I also have a 957 and the network set up. Luckily I was just using one puck and had the puck from the 957 still new in the box.

This long time it takes to load the map is the reason for this thread. So is this only true with the Lakemaster maps or is the 997 slow to load with the Navionics as well?

Not having any maps I have no experience with them. Are each lakes loaded individually or are the whole regions loaded into the graph and is it only the GPS that is slowed down or does it affect the graphing of down and side imaging as well?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta Bass Fool View Post
    I just replaced my antenna puck two days ago after discovering no GPS. I also have a 957 and the network set up. Luckily I was just using one puck and had the puck from the 957 still new in the box.

This long time it takes to load the map is the reason for this thread. So is this only true with the Lakemaster maps or is the 997 slow to load with the Navionics as well?

Not having any maps I have no experience with them. Are each lakes loaded individually or are the whole regions loaded into the graph and is it only the GPS that is slowed down or does it affect the graphing of down and side imaging as well?
    If you are storing a lot of Nav data on your unit, it may be what is slowing your unit down. The whole map or coverage is loaded into the memory. Also, I don't believe your particular model is capable of using the later versions of Lakemaster cards. It would need to be a Helix G3 or later model or Solix or Apex. Choose the card which provides the best coverage for the lakes you're fishing. In some cases, neither might provide coverage.

I do not have maps, looking to understand the pitfalls before purchasing at least one to get me started. This is all new to me.

7. Member
    Lakemaster for sure.
    I have a navionics card as well but i mich prefer the lakemaster
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

Quote Originally Posted by ColdSVT View Post
    Lakemaster for sure.
    I have a navionics card as well but i mich prefer the lakemaster
    What graph unit are you using the Lakemaster on?

9. Member
    I had 2 997s and I ran lakemaster V3 cards on both and didn't have any issues. Was able to do water level offset and highlight different depths .

Quote Originally Posted by Smalliehunter91 View Post
    I had 2 997s and I ran lakemaster V3 cards on both and didn't have any issues. Was able to do water level offset and highlight different depths .
    Thank you :)

11. Member
    I have Lakemaster on my 997
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

Quote Originally Posted by bpicinc View Post
    I have Lakemaster on my
    But do you have any issues like slow to load of the screen or freezing up etc.

Having it does not say it runs good. Sorry, I'm not trying to bust your chops but rather am trying to get more specific as to how it works for you on your 997 graphs.

Both my 997 and 957 are currently running 6.300 iirc firmware.

13. Member
    Navionics Premium

14. Member
    Navionics and Lakemaster offer different versions of mapping...be sure your particular model is compatible with whatever you might choose and that your unit has the proper software loaded to use them. If you predominantly fish the CA Delta, I would look only at Navionics.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

I would like to be able to fish all the local lakes even though I fish the Delta more often. Would like to be ready when I finally get out to Berryessa, Clear Lake, New Melonies, Comanche, Parde, Amador, Folsom, Don Pedro and the lake I visit the most New Hogan. So I definitely want contour mapping.

Does Lakemaster Legacy allow the user to adjust the contour lines to match up with current water level?

I used to use a 997 and had a lakemaster chip for it.

I don't know what I did, but I used to only have one chip for 2 units and just moved them back and forth. However, I took the chip out of the 997 and the map data stayed in the unit for some reason.

That chip was a 2020 year lakemaster wisconsin chip.

17. Member
    What graph unit are you using the Lakemaster on?
    I had lake master and navionics in my 899...with i still had that graph sometimes
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

18. Member
    I would like to be able to fish all the local lakes even though I fish the Delta more often. Would like to be ready when I finally get out to Berryessa, Clear Lake, New Melonies, Comanche, Parde, Amador, Folsom, Don Pedro and the lake I visit the most New Hogan. So I definitely want contour mapping.

Does Lakemaster Legacy allow the user to adjust the contour lines to match up with current water level?
    Yes, with Water Level Offset. Lakemaster would cover those particular lakes. Lakemaster in some cases may only cover a particular part on the larger lakes which would be a county name. For example they cover Napa county part of Berryessa.
    Lake List - LakeMaster Western States 3.0 (widen.net)
    Wes
    2023 Phoenix 818

Thank you ezfishn. I see version 1 & 2 have “ San Francisco Delta San Joaquin “ but ver. 3 has “ Delta Contra Costa “

which I take it to mean if I want the Delta in waters I fish I need ver 1 or 2 then Version 3 to get all the lakes. :/

20. Member
    Thank you ezfishn. I see version 1 & 2 have “ San Francisco Delta San Joaquin “ but ver. 3 has “ Delta Contra Costa “

which I take it to mean if I want the Delta in waters I fish I need ver 1 or 2 then Version 3 to get all the lakes. :/
    The current one Ver 3 will include all previous coverage.
    Wes
    2023 Phoenix 818