Question 1996 DT 150 Tilt/Trim gauge not moving.

Hoping some one here will know how to test the trim position switch/sensor to rule that out as a problem.

I’d like to know how to test the gauge too in the event the trim position switch/sensor is good.

Edit: perhaps some call the thing on the engine the sending unit.

That piece on the engine is not frozen and swigs upon its own. I need to know how to test it.
    Last edited by Delta Bass Fool; 03-12-2024 at 10:46 PM.
    '94 Charger Foxfire 180VF '96 Suzuki DT150S BASS

I found this thread on n Iboats. https://forums.iboats.com/threads/te...g-unit.142325/

Info in that thread

Re: Testing Suzuki Trim Sending unit?

analog types only register down in the actual trim range (not tilt). Also, check your ground. I think you need ignition power, ground and the sensor input. Make sure they're all properly connected

With everything plugged in and the power on....

Tester pos.+ to the Pink lead of T/T gauge and Neg.- to the black/white lead.
    If tested indicates 4 volts..meter is Good.
    More or less than 4 volts..meter is Bad.

Tester Pos.+ to the light green (lg) lead and Neg.- to the black/white lead.
    (A) Trim sender arm in full Up Position should read 800+/-3mv.
    (B) Trim sender arm in full DOWN position should read 750+/-3mv.
    (C) If A or B values are out of spec. the sender is bad. This is of course clean connections, good bat. etc.
    Can anyone confirm this info above?
    Last edited by Delta Bass Fool; 03-13-2024 at 11:41 PM.

3. Member
    I have a Mercury Optimax. If you ground the gauge, the needle should move to full scale. When you remove the ground it should go to zero. That will let you know if the gauge is good. Then it's either a bad sending unit or wiring problem.

I tried a quick DMM test earlier and came up with both the gauge and sending units being bad according to the info I quoted up there.

Wire Colors are not exactly the same though so am not sure the test for the sending unit was correct.

I'd try shorting the gauge but am not sure which of the four wires is ground and I don't want to cause any more problems than what I already have. Parts are getting scarce for this engine :/

Pics of the power to gauge test which does not jive with being good according to the quoted text up above.

20240313_112849.jpg
    Last edited by Delta Bass Fool; 03-13-2024 at 05:12 PM.

5. Member
    Just set your meter to DC volts and see which wire is hot.

6. Member
    I am doubting it's your gauge that is bad.

I'll have to take a look at the wiring schematic to see what color wires I should have and see if they jive with what I actually have.

I was able to get a reading of 4.587 volts while reading the meter or gauge with ignition key on

I added the SeaStar hydraulic steering a few years back so I'm not ruling out some wires may have got unplugged somewhere between the helm and the sending unit on the engine. I did not see anything obvious unplugged under the helm.

8. Member
    Keep us updated!

9. Member

Water Pump 12 mm Torque Spec

Not able to help with your questions, but maybe you could help me if you ever replaced your impeller? I have a 96 DT150S and need to know the torque specs for tightening the 12mm bolts on the water pump?
    Last edited by 99FISHERDT150; 03-18-2024 at 02:52 PM. Reason: typo

I just put grease on the threads and give them a good snug. I can look in the user manual for the torque speck but I never use that.

11. Member
    Any update on your trim gauge?

I have not looked into the wiring for the trim gauge yet. I have been scraping carpet and cleaning the glue off of the deck. Then I’m trying to do the math atm for ordering new carpet and seats.

I want to contact Llbroc to see if they have anything better than bass boat seats.com to see if they have a perfect set for my boats seating dimensions. I was looking at their 204 series bass boats. https://www.llebroc.com/category-s/146.htm

I want to pull my seats and get exact measurements. I’m at about 61” side to side with 20.5 for left and right seats and 20” for middle seat. Most seats I’m seeing are 22” wide. BBS has a 20” wide but none have a middle seat that will have a low back like I will need. I always suffer procrastination tax by trying to get everything just perfect :/
    Last edited by Delta Bass Fool; 03-18-2024 at 08:56 PM.

@99FISHERDT150

Here is the spec sheet for torque see where it says
    " Water Pump Case Bolt "

20240318_185917.jpg