Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Do you have annual reviews each year at work?

I started giving my team their reviews this week and will be receiving my review Thursday from my direct supervisor. I've worked for 2 companies the last 20 years, both national companies and both have had reviews. My current employer does not base pay increases off of these reviews, unlike my last one did.

I honestly hate these things as I meet with my team on a weekly basis via Zoom bc we are spread out and I also meet with my boss weekly too. Essentially we give and get feedback every week, so I think the reviews are not needed.

You guys have reviews and enjoy them?

2. Member
    We have yearly reviews, and it gets us nothing. It is a big-time killer in that have to evaluate our self and then meet with the manager and compare reviews.

3. Member
    Yes, we have a mid point and a year end review. Neither one of them takes more than a minute at best. Some maybe 30 seconds and the year end review counts towards pay raises and bonuses.
    Last edited by Rider99XX; 03-12-2024 at 02:45 PM.
    Hi Mike.

4. Member
    Annual reviews, self-evaluation then manager evaluation. Then we get notice on how much of a raise we are getting and the size of our bonus. I used ChatGPT this year to write responses to the BS "goals" cascaded down from up high, those ones that in no way are measurable or have any real impact to your job, they are a bunch of touchy/feely crap.

Quote Originally Posted by mean_dean View Post
    BS "goals" cascaded down from up high, those ones that in no way are measurable or have any real impact to your job, they are a bunch of touchy/feely crap.

Same boat here. Used to have to do quarterly goals. Now it’s just semi annual. I don’t even look at the nonsense they pass down. I just make some realistic obtainable goals and if they fit their nonsense, great. If not, oh well. My boss knows it’s nonsense and accepts my goals as written because he knows I’m there to learn and get stuff done.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mean_dean View Post
    Annual reviews, self-evaluation then manager evaluation. Then we get notice on how much of a raise we are getting and the size of our bonus. I used ChatGPT this year to write responses to the BS "goals" cascaded down from up high, those ones that in no way are measurable or have any real impact to your job, they are a bunch of touchy/feely crap.
    I would love to see that response that ChatGPT gave.

7. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    i'm retired,, i'm reviewed every day now

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

8. Member
    We get them and our raises are somewhat scored off them.

9. Member
    Working for a company that had a bogus review system and never knowing where I stood in the company or how I was performing left me feeling underwhelmed, now the company I have been with for the last 8 years has a very serious year end and mid year review system I am much happier. I know exactly where I stand and how I am performing with the company. The real key is not tying pay to it, that is left for bonuses and making the feedback system easy.

10. Member
    I'm retired but we used to have annual reviews. I used to write my own and got a little silly as time wore on. Another team mate who reported through a different management path asked to read mine one day as he heard the raises had come through. After reading mine he said holy cow you must have one of the best ratings in the company ! I laughed, I told him a wrote it myself and me and my manager had a good laugh reading and signing it. The reviews had no bearing on ratings or raises. They may have been put in at budget time months prior. Probably by an administrative assistant.

11. Member
    We do annual evaluations and 6 month check ins.

My old company required self evaluations. Im harder on myself than most people so I always rated myself much lower than what my managers would. He’d tell me it’s always a fun time when people are so full of themselves they rate themselves much higher than what they actually are. Then he has to tell them to humble themselves a bit when he gave them their rating
    Last edited by ECobb91; 03-12-2024 at 03:36 PM.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

12. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Nope......they beg me not to retire.....altho I'm semi retired.....

We have monthly reviews.

I use to do reviews for 8-10 people under me, hated spending time on these. Learned to keep running notes on people. Current company does not do formalized reviews, but we are a small group. We mee every 2 weeks with our direct reports, nothing formal.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spoon33 View Post
    You guys have reviews and enjoy them?
    Have Yes - Enjoy NO - give and received them and the entire things Sucks and no one cares.
    If professionals who's careers depend on catching fish use FFS then that's what I'm using. Might be too simple of a philosophy but makes sense to me.

16. Member
    I had about 8 direct reports and as many indirect reports. They were all closed door and I took them pretty seriously- I owed my people that much. We talked about work conflicts, pet peeves and people who they had trouble with or got along well with. There were some that went sideways- like the high potential younger girl I gave an "Above Expectations" rating to, but she was pissed that she didn't get an "Exceptional". rating. I think I just caught her at a "bad time", if you get my drift. That workplace had a matrix system, so all the managers had to meet and align their people's ratings so there would be a perfect bell curve of people and rankings. That was a no-win situation at times.

17. Member
    We have monthly, every six months and a yearly. Its more of a formality. I sign off on mine each month without even talking to my boss like we are supposed to. He sees I am doing my job, sends me my "review" saying no problems and I sign it, send it back and we move on. When we do talk its about hunting and fishing, or occasionally something work related as needed.

Whenever they move bosses around, I always tell my new one I prefer to be left alone to get on with it and if they have anything they need, hit me up and I'll take care of it immediately. I've been around long enough I am one of the old farts on the teams. So I think all the bosses know me by reputation anyway and know I don't need supervision. That pretty much is it.

18. Member
    We have yearly evaluations which are useless. Our company structure isnt the best and politics play the biggest role if you are salary as do quotas for rankings and such. Hourly it really doesnt matter, nothing will ever be done

19. Member
    From a Regional Managers past perspective let me say this. If your in a position to give an employee assessment two critical items:
    1) Never go to an assessment without looking at the last review and having it present. (ie,Did the employee meet goals and game plan)
    2)If you’re a Manager at any level giving reviews and doing your job there should never be a suprise in a review.
    Ive always been in favor of self assessment then review.

Nope

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast