Vision+ question

So if I understand it correctly with the Vision+ subscription, when the subscription expires the relief shading will cease to work? If the units came with Navionics+ what is the advantage of a vision+ purchase?

Sorry if these are dumb questions but I'm coming from Humminbird where the mapping was much more simple. I just bought a map card for each unit and was done. Not sure I want to subscribe for a whopping payment every year..
    2005 Triton TR-186
    2024 Mercury Pro XS 150

Watching…

3. Member
    I believe that even when your subscription expires you retain access to whatever mapping features you last had. The only thing that expires is your access to further updates.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BobKlindworth View Post
    I believe that even when your subscription expires you retain access to whatever mapping features you last had. The only thing that expires is your access to further updates.
    I know you can keep the charts but the description is kind of vague when it comes to the extra features like relief shading. The way I read it you CANNOT use it after the subscription expires. I'm just trying to verify whether or not that's true...
    2005 Triton TR-186
    2024 Mercury Pro XS 150

No. All functionality continues. You just can't download map updates.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

6. Member
    Looks to me like daily updates, relief shading, satellite imagery, and sonar imagery all require a current subscription to function. All other features are still available after your subscription expires.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/marinechart-mappurchase/

No. All premium features including high resolution relief shading downloaded to your card during your subscription period remain available after your subscription expires.

If you have not downloaded a particular section of map during your subscription period you won't be able to download it after your subscription expires.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

Quote Originally Posted by jrh_67 View Post
    So if I understand it correctly with the Vision+ subscription, when the subscription expires the relief shading will cease to work? If the units came with Navionics+ what is the advantage of a vision+ purchase?

Sorry if these are dumb questions but I'm coming from Humminbird where the mapping was much more simple. I just bought a map card for each unit and was done. Not sure I want to subscribe for a whopping payment every year..
    When the subscription is done you still have access to the relief shading and all other functions on your phone and mfd. You just can't download any other mapping to your AC app.
    You are stuck with what's on your card and if, for some reason, you change your phone, you loose the mapping. no more mapping can be downloaded to your phone unless you pay again for the mapping you already paid.

I did not subscribe after the expiration, I downloaded all possible future fishing areas to my phone before expiration and made a few AC cards with the mapping.
    8410XSV, 8612XSV
    GT15, GT40, PS30
    GPSMAP 536
    2022 Lund Impact XS 1775
    115 Pro XS

9. Member
    Do I need to buy the chip from Navionics/garmin? Or can I use the AC card I created when I was setting up my unit?
    2001 Triton SF21 w/ Yamaha 200

Quote Originally Posted by sprtsfanatic021 View Post
    Do I need to buy the chip from Navionics/garmin? Or can I use the AC card I created when I was setting up my unit?
    You have both options, either purchasing the physical card or purchasing the download option. To get all the features of the premium Vision + card, even if you buy the physical card, you must download some premium features (raster cartography, satellite imagery, and sonar imagery) via the AC app and this data is downloaded to our AC card. In addition, all future updates will be downloaded via the AC app and stored on the AC card. So I typically recommend the download option. Here, all mapping and future updates will be stored on your AC card and you have direct control over the amount of mapping area you download via the AC app.
    Garmin Pro Team

11. Member
    Perfect. Thank you.
    2001 Triton SF21 w/ Yamaha 200

12. Member
    Need more clarity. When you buy a unit and it comes with the 1 year of Navionics +, when that subscription ends and you don’t renew, do you lose the capability to highlight a certain depth range? Say I want to fish 5-10 ft. Can I turn that a certain color after the standard Navionics subscription ends? Navionics took this functionality away when using Navionics on the lowrance units unless you have an active subscription and IMO this is a terrible business practice because depth highlight is a basic and key component of mapping with a fish finder.
    David
    2014 Ranger Z521C
    Fishing Lanier, Hartwell, Tennessee River & Coosa River

Quote Originally Posted by snookonfly View Post
    Need more clarity. When you buy a unit and it comes with the 1 year of Navionics +, when that subscription ends and you don’t renew, do you lose the capability to highlight a certain depth range? Say I want to fish 5-10 ft. Can I turn that a certain color after the standard Navionics subscription ends? Navionics took this functionality away when using Navionics on the lowrance units unless you have an active subscription and IMO this is a terrible business practice because depth highlight is a basic and key component of mapping with a fish finder.
    If your Navionics+ subscription ended, you would still have access to all content that was previously downloaded to the SD card and all features would still be fully functional after the subscription expires. Your Depth Range Shading would still function, but you wouldn't have access to new/updated content. Same goes for Vision+ and those premium features like relief shading, satellite imagery, and sonar imagery.
    Garmin Pro Team