1989 201 Drain Plug

Bought a 1989 champion 201, It has the rear live well under the middle seat and the smaller live well in the front. It has several holes in the back for draining/Live wells. I think I have done enough research and inspecting that the Lowest hole is the actual drain plug. The boat did not come with a plug. Which live wells do the others go to?
    However this hole is smooth metal insert, appears to be brass.
    IMG_6167.jpgIMG_6166.jpg
    I am assuming this means it is made for the rubber expanding type plug that you would insert from the inside? Screenshot 2024-03-12 110310.png

If I want to convert this to a screw in plug do I need to cut out the brass insert? It does protrude out of the back with a rounded edge slightly and I don't know if I would be able to get a good seal on the outside just screwing in a threaded sleave.
    Metal Plug.png
    Am I wasting my time converting this? Just something about a plug that does not screw in makes me nervous.

You could also install a remote plug from florite.

3. Member
    I have thought about that, but read some mixed reviews on them. It is still a project boat so I am not sure I want to drop the $90 on something for convivence, have other things of higher priority. Having a remote plug would be pretty slick though, haven't completely ruled it out.

I added one to my 2007 210. I love it and thank myself for installing it every time I look down at the drain plug and do not have to lay down under the motor to get to it.

5. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nrichardson2011 View Post
    I have thought about that, but read some mixed reviews on them. It is still a project boat so I am not sure I want to drop the $90 on something for convivence, have other things of higher priority. Having a remote plug would be pretty slick though, haven't completely ruled it out.
    Well worth the money IMHO. Just need to use the recommended o-ring lube. I've never had an issue. And it's a whole lot easier on my knees ...

But back to your original question, yes the one with the brass grommet is the bilge drain. The one next to it is the livewell drain and the one on the right is the overflow. Of course, the one with the screen is the intake.

I don't know what about a screw in plug makes it any better than the expanding rubber one.

I can dig up some pics of how I replaced all of my thru hull fixtures, if you like.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread...ght=Splashwell

This is mostly for the Splashwell drains but the bilge drain is done the same way
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

8. Member
    Thanks everyone for the advice. 86 I appreciate the pictures looks like that turned out extremely well! Sounds like the rubber plug will do just fine for the time being, then I'll upgrade to the remote plug. Went from a $6 drain plug to a $90 upgrade Thanks Bass Boat forums! haha I know I'll thank myself later as well. if I'm gonna do it might as well do it right!

Your wallet will hate us but your knees will thank us.

10. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SJSharky00 View Post
    Your wallet will hate us but your knees will thank us.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nrichardson2011 View Post
    Just something about a plug that does not screw in makes me nervous.
    I've used T-Handle Twist Drain Plugs for my Champ since 1989, with no problems. PLUS if remote drain plug had any problems, my gas tank would have to be removed for access.
    Last edited by tj; 03-15-2024 at 09:40 AM.
    Champion 184
    Mercury 175 EFI

The old style is better IMO. I have the newer one and it's leaked a few times, never had that happen with the old style.