Bilge Pump Voltage Issue

I have a 2021 Skeeter ZXR 20. The other day my remote drain plug wasn’t seated all the way so I was slowly taking on water. The auto part of the bilge pump didn’t come on so I pushed the manual toggle at the console. The pump came on like it is supposed to and pumped fine. When testing the voltage I am only getting 5-7 volts on the bilge pump wire that is supposed to have 12 volts all the time. I have gotten 12 sometimes when checking it but usually 5-7. Anyone have any ideas of where to look? I tried to check the connections I could find in the bilge area and at the console but didn’t see anything that looked loose or bad. Thanks for any ideas.

2. Member
    Where are you hooking the meter ground lead? With voltage this low, is the pump actually running at the time?

3. Scraps
    Is there extra wire coiled up going to the pumps?
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Where are you hooking the meter ground lead? With voltage this low, is the pump actually running at the time?
    When I cannot get the pump to run in auto I unplug the connections and test at 5-7 volts. When I can get the proper 12 volts on the “ auto supply wire” the pump does run in auto. I am testing with the 3 wires down in the bilge where the 3 wires connect to the pump wires.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    Is there extra wire coiled up going to the pumps?
    I have not noticed any additional wires just the 3 I am connecting the pump to.

Check the voltage at the fuse panel. It sounds like you have a bad connection, bad wire or corrosion at the connection.

7. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by okskeetertzx190 View Post
    I have not noticed any additional wires just the 3 I am connecting the pump to.
    Is there extra wire coiled up somewhere in the wires going to the pump. Creating resistance. Not an additional wire.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    Is there extra wire coiled up somewhere in the wires going to the pump. Creating resistance. Not an additional wire.
    I don’t think so. If anything all 3 wires are too short making it difficult to work on.

9. Member
    Maybe the auto switch internally has a loose or bad connection? Meaning the actual physical switch in the bilge.

10. Member
    the auto wire may go to the main switch in the battery compartment, then the fuse then the battery. the fuse will be in a black waterproof holder. it could also be connected to a bussbar on the back wall behind the battery. good luck
    Wes

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by okskeetertzx190 View Post
    When I cannot get the pump to run in auto I unplug the connections and test at 5-7 volts. When I can get the proper 12 volts on the “ auto supply wire” the pump does run in auto. I am testing with the 3 wires down in the bilge where the 3 wires connect to the pump wires.
    Make a jumper wire from the Negative battery post to the negative meter lead. You can't trust ground wires in a fiberglass boats.

12. Member
    I did find that the fuse that seemingly only goes to the pump auto wire seemed to be not very tight fitting in the holder. I have replaced the fuse holder with a new one and during my testing in the garage it has always worked so far. I will do more testing when I get to the water to see if that might have been the problem.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Make a jumper wire from the Negative battery post to the negative meter lead. You can't trust ground wires in a fiberglass boats.
    I did consider doing something like this but every time I was checking voltage on the manual wire directly after I tested the auto wire the voltage was good. That is what made me think I was getting a good ground.