Ranger RT with hydro foil

Anybody running a hydro foil on your Ranger RT188 or 198. I added a 6” Bobs jackplate, my numbers at 6000 rpm is 45.73. Anything above 1/4 trim that’s when the porpoise starts, I’ve also removed the trim tabs. The proposing was about the same before removing the tabs.

2. Member
    Have you tried shifting weight around in the boat to see if it's a balance thing? 6" jack moves a lot of weight backwards.

3. Member
    What prop?

4. Member
    What prop, motor and height? Hydro foils are a waste of money.

5. Member
    Believe me when I say this, I've read every post about the setup and performance of the RT188 and RT198, I know this boat will not get much better than the numbers I've posted except maybe on a good windy day with the right water temps, I was just wondering because I haven't seen any post mentioning the hydro foil to help with the trimming to lift the bow more, I know the concept of the hydro foil is to improve hole shot which I don't have a problem with and also improve proposing at low speeds, I'm not looking for more speed, I excepted the thought of an expensive 19 ft aluminum Jon Boat with Ranger on its sides that will only run 45-50 before selling my 21ft Glass boat, I'm 62 and have no desire to fish tournaments anymore. I'm just curious if any of the RT guys has tried one before I spend more money. lol. I've spent enough already on this Jon boat with all the other upgrades I've done. all aside the boat fishes great.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelly View Post
    Have you tried shifting weight around in the boat to see if it's a balance thing? 6" jack moves a lot of weight backwards.
    not very much weight up front. Fortrex trolling motor, helix 9 and 10, mega live transducer, one 100AH lithium battery in the starboard front compartment 6 rods and reels, 40 to 50lbs. of tackle, most of the time I load what I'm fishing with for the time of year and day. half tank of fuel, three deep cycle Duracell batteries, one 8ft power pole, bob's 6" action jack plate and one tool bag at the rear.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jigman1962 View Post
    Believe me when I say this, I've read every post about the setup and performance of the RT188 and RT198, I know this boat will not get much better than the numbers I've posted except maybe on a good windy day with the right water temps, I was just wondering because I haven't seen any post mentioning the hydro foil to help with the trimming to lift the bow more, I know the concept of the hydro foil is to improve hole shot which I don't have a problem with and also improve proposing at low speeds, I'm not looking for more speed, I excepted the thought of an expensive 19 ft aluminum Jon Boat with Ranger on its sides that will only run 45-50 before selling my 21ft Glass boat, I'm 62 and have no desire to fish tournaments anymore. I'm just curious if any of the RT guys has tried one before I spend more money. lol. I've spent enough already on this Jon boat with all the other upgrades I've done. all aside the boat fishes great.
    Hydro foil gives you more down force on front . Why in the world did you take tabs off it ain’t a pad boat. I have a rt 188 115 pro xs command thrust. It has a tempest 21 solid plugs and 4 inch setback plate I have no problems runs about 43 45 loaded down heavy
    I weigh 275 my buddy 200 . Think I would put tabs back on and readjust the tackle.
    J. D

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankinh20 View Post
    Hydro foil gives you more down force on front . Why in the world did you take tabs off it ain’t a pad boat. I have a rt 188 115 pro xs command thrust. It has a tempest 21 solid plugs and 4 inch setback plate I have no problems runs about 43 45 loaded down heavy
    I weigh 275 my buddy 200 . Think I would put tabs back on and readjust the tackle.
    J. D
    Why, I had the same issue with the tabs on it. lol

9. Member
    Did it start when you put 6 inch jack plate on it?
    My dealer said the 4 inch setback plate was all that was needed. Mines on third hole solid plugs .
    front boxes are loaded heavy . Hydro foil is mainly for boats that can’t get out of the hole .
    you might try some hydraulic trim tabs had a friend put some on a deep v with a fourstroke that was porpoiseing bad anything over half throttle. Solved his problem and easy to install.

10. Member
    Have you tried you jack plate at all the available heights? Might want to run it deeper to stop the porpoising?