Ghost mounting - 4 or 6 bolts?

For those who have a Ghost mounted on a newer model BassCat (installed by BassCat at the factory) - I'm just curious - is it mounted using 4 bolts or 6?

I'm having some issues with my Ghost. When on a higher power setting and turning left/right, it moves a lot and makes some noise that it shouldn't. My previous Ghost never did this, and my current Ghost didn't do it for the first 6 or 7 months I owned it. It started last fall and gradually got worse.

I took it to a Lowrance certified service place, who also happens to be a BassCat dealer. (Tailwater Marine, they have been great to deal with)

Lowrance requested pictures/videos, then told them my trolling motor is mounted with only 4 bolts instead of 6, and they insist that it be mounted with 6 before they will address any other underlying issues. The service/dealer place is working it out.

I'm not convinced that's the problem (and I don't think anyone else is either). I'm just curious if 4 bolts is the norm for BassCats?
    2023 Puma STS

TNReb,

We mount with cap screws, and not #3 Philllips headed stainless screws. They are shank cap screws, which gives us appx. 30% more shaft on the stem than threads going through the deck. This gives us more strength, and while they may need tightening, they should be plenty of meat on the shanks.

BCB

Quote Originally Posted by TNReb View Post
    For those who have a Ghost mounted on a newer model BassCat (installed by BassCat at the factory) - I'm just curious - is it mounted using 4 bolts or 6?

I'm having some issues with my Ghost. When on a higher power setting and turning left/right, it moves a lot and makes some noise that it shouldn't. My previous Ghost never did this, and my current Ghost didn't do it for the first 6 or 7 months I owned it. It started last fall and gradually got worse.

I took it to a Lowrance certified service place, who also happens to be a BassCat dealer. (Tailwater Marine, they have been great to deal with)

Lowrance requested pictures/videos, then told them my trolling motor is mounted with only 4 bolts instead of 6, and they insist that it be mounted with 6 before they will address any other underlying issues. The service/dealer place is working it out.

I'm not convinced that's the problem (and I don't think anyone else is either). I'm just curious if 4 bolts is the norm for BassCats?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    TNReb,

We mount with cap screws, and not #3 Philllips headed stainless screws. They are shank cap screws, which gives us appx. 30% more shaft on the stem than threads going through the deck. This gives us more strength, and while they may need tightening, they should be plenty of meat on the shanks.

BCB
    Thanks. I know BassCat over-engineers a lot of things, and knew they weren't skimping. Mine were tight - the Ghost just isn't right. No fault of BassCat's as far as I can tell.
    2023 Puma STS

4. Member
    Mine is a p2. When I mounted mine I used 6. Although my old fortex used 6. Can't rember for sure. But best I remember instead of drilling the glass I matched drilled 2 of the holes on my mount(ghost) to existing holes.
    I have been reading of alot of creaking and popping with the Ghost. I been very lucky with mine and it's 3 year and some change old. Been quite hope it remains that way.
    Have you checked to make sure the bracket is not twisted? Tight is tight I get., but it can be tight but twisted.
    Last edited by Redngoo; 03-11-2024 at 06:27 PM.
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Redngoo View Post
    Mine is a p2. When I mounted mine I used 6. Although my old fortex used 6. Can't rember for sure. But best I remember instead of drilling the glass I matched drilled 2 of the holes on my mount(ghost) to existing holes.
    I have been reading of alot of creaking and popping with the Ghost. I been very lucky with mine and it's 3 year and some change old. Been quite hope it remains that way.
    Have you checked to make sure the bracket is not twisted? Tight is tight I get., but it can be tight but twisted.
    I've done everything I know you do to it. The guys at Tailwater are trying to work it out with Lowrance now. I'm done dealing with Lowrance customer service (or the lack thereof).

It seems that Lowrance isn't even willing to consider that there are other problems until it has 6 bolts in it.
    2023 Puma STS

for what its worth just watching the pros on live I hear a lot of the ghosts making creaking noises when turning. I have friends with them that are quiet and have 4 bolts and others who have 6 bolts and are noisy....
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"