Solix/Apex waypoint management

From the threads I've read this might be beating a dead horse. Is there anyway to save/store waypoints on my computer that doesn't screw up the icons? I guess I could export to a SD card and then copy/paste into a file for safe keeping?

I fish a stumpy lake, the trees we use for running markers are breaking off at a more rapid pace every year so I'm marking them when they do and it is important for my icons to not get changed once I set them.

I'm considering solix units on my new boat but if the waypoint management is that much of a PITA I might just stick with helix units.

2. Member
    There is currently no Waypoint Management Software for Solix/Apex. I have been asked a few times if would write a program designed for Solix/Apex units but I just don't have the time it would take to create one. I have been in contact with someone who is currently working on creating a Solix/Apex program. It could possibly be finished in a month or two. It is being designed to work off a smartphone or tablet instead of the cloud.

You asked if there is a way to "save/store waypoints on my computer", there is a way IF you are just wanting to save/store them. All you would have to do is export the data from your Solix/Apex then copy that gpx file to your computer as a backup.

Since icons are important to you, HumminbirdPC is NOT a solution for Solix/Apex editing. They use different operating systems so Helix and Solix/Apex do not use the same set of symbols. There are a few symbols that are common between the models. If you open a Solix/Apex file in HumminbirdPC the symbols that are not common between the models will be changed to the default "Helix Blue Dot". HumminbirdPC was designed for the Legacy/Helix units.
    IF CHANGING FROM Helix to Solix/Apex, the symbols MUST be changed/converted before loading to a Solix/Apex unit. I can help you with that. It is very easy to do. Once the Helix file is "converted" to Solix/Apex format, you can load that file to a Solix/Apex and everything will load correctly.

I use a programming software to perform all my Solix edits. I created some custom tables for all the different brands/models within the software to perform any edits to any brand unit including Solix/Apex files. It's actually very easy to use and you don't have to know any programming. It's the only "solution" until a Solix/Apex Management Program is released. Hopefully the program will be released soon.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

3. Member
    Mike, I have thousands of Lowrance waypoints many of which are Icon labeled only(no text description) which I wish to move to an Apex unit. I really need to have a icon that is reflective of what the waypoint is for. I will probably have to hand label each waypoint individually in order to get this transfer done--what do you recommend? How do I get the software if it is out there? Thanks in advance.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bayoufellow View Post
    Mike, I have thousands of Lowrance waypoints many of which are Icon labeled only(no text description) which I wish to move to an Apex unit. I really need to have a icon that is reflective of what the waypoint is for. I will probably have to hand label each waypoint individually in order to get this transfer done--what do you recommend? How do I get the software if it is out there? Thanks in advance.
    I can do it very easily in a minute or two. You won’t have to label anything. All you will have to do is pick the Solix/Apex symbols you want to use in place of the Lowrance symbols. I will send everything you need to pick the symbols.

P.M. Sent
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

5. Member
    You cant use humminbird pc with a solix or apex?

I use it and import export manage my waypoints by state etc.

6. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahomee View Post

You can use it, but at the risk of losing some of the things unique to Solix and Apex. The biggest thing that can get screwed up are the Waypoint Icons. Solix and Apex have many more Icons than Helix and, therefore, Humminbird PC. If you use any of those Icons, they will be stripped off and replaced with a generic icon when you save your edited data.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike2718 View Post
    There is currently no Waypoint Management Software for Solix/Apex. I have been asked a few times if would write a program designed for Solix/Apex units but I just don't have the time it would take to create one. I have been in contact with someone who is currently working on creating a Solix/Apex program. It could possibly be finished in a month or two. It is being designed to work off a smartphone or tablet instead of the cloud.

You asked if there is a way to "save/store waypoints on my computer", there is a way IF you are just wanting to save/store them. All you would have to do is export the data from your Solix/Apex then copy that gpx file to your computer as a backup.

Since icons are important to you, HumminbirdPC is NOT a solution for Solix/Apex editing. They use different operating systems so Helix and Solix/Apex do not use the same set of symbols. There are a few symbols that are common between the models. If you open a Solix/Apex file in HumminbirdPC the symbols that are not common between the models will be changed to the default "Helix Blue Dot". HumminbirdPC was designed for the Legacy/Helix units.
    IF CHANGING FROM Helix to Solix/Apex, the symbols MUST be changed/converted before loading to a Solix/Apex unit. I can help you with that. It is very easy to do. Once the Helix file is "converted" to Solix/Apex format, you can load that file to a Solix/Apex and everything will load correctly.

I use a programming software to perform all my Solix edits. I created some custom tables for all the different brands/models within the software to perform any edits to any brand unit including Solix/Apex files. It's actually very easy to use and you don't have to know any programming. It's the only "solution" until a Solix/Apex Management Program is released. Hopefully the program will be released soon.

As long as there is a way I'm good with it.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adam_p View Post
    As long as there is a way I'm good with it.
    P.M. Sent
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

9. Member

How are you actually using it to "manage" your waypoints? If you are just loading waypoints by state, you don't really need HumminbirdPC for that. When you export a state from your Solix, you can just save a copy on your computer. You can do that with all your states. When you go to a different state, you can delete everything off your units then load that particular state. I basically do the same thing except I do it for lakes instead of states.

I want to expand on SLYDoggie's response.
    He is correct HumminbirdPC "can" mess things up. It was created years ago for the Legacy/Numbered units. It still works for Helix units since those still use the same Operating System as the older units.
    HumminbirdPC "can" be used with Solix files but you have to be careful when doing so.

It starts with opening a native Solix/Apex file in HumminbirdPC. While Solix and Helix both have their own set of symbols, there are 36 symbols they have in common. These 36 symbols will, however, "look" different between the Solix models and Helix/HumminbirdPC. If you open a Solix/Apex file in HumminbirdPC, HumminbirdPC will "Change" any symbols it doesn't recognize to the default "Blue Dot". It is ONLY changing the way it "appears" in HumminbirdPC but is NOT changing the ACTUAL symbol. You may "see" a bunch of "Blue Dots" in HumminbirdPC BUT it is still retaining ALL your Solix Data UNLESS you start changing things.
    It retains everything UNLESS you use the "drop down" to change it to another symbol. If you use the drop down box to change the symbol, then it will actually change the symbol in the file. IF you change it to a symbol that is common between Solix and Helix units, that symbol will load as the Solix symbol when you import the file back to a Solix unit and the color of the original symbol.
    You will not be able to change the color before importing. If you change it to a symbol that is not in the Solix Operating system, that symbol will import into your Solix as whatever you have your Solix default symbol set to and it will retain the color of the previous symbol that you changed from.

You can tell which symbols are common between the units when you open the file in HumminbirdPC. Any symbols you see other than the "Blue Dot" will be common between the models. They will just "look" like how they will appear on a Helix unit. When you re-import the file to a Solix, it will retain the original Solix appearance.

If you open a Solix file in HummbirdPC and save the file, it will still RETAIN ALL the original Solix symbols, colors and data when you save the file BUT it will add Helix code to every waypoint and track point. You can delete any of your Solix waypoints and tracks in HumminbirdPC and you will be ok. If you add any waypoints in HumminbirdPC and import that into your Solix, you lose the ability to assign a color and other aspects to the waypoint. You also lose the ability to assign other attributes but typically those don't really matter since the Solix has certain factory defaults that most people don't change.
    It's not too bad if you're not adding a bunch of waypoints in HumminbirdPC. You can always change the symbols, colors and any other attributes once they are loaded.

I have included a pdf that shows a picture and has the operating system name of the symbols that are common to Solix and Helix. If your Solix file has one of these symbols, it will look like the Helix symbol when you open it in HumminbirdPC. That's ok because it will still look like the Solix symbol when you load the file back to your Solix. There are some other symbols that "look" the same between the two units BUT have a different Operating System name so those will show up as the "Blue Dot" along with any other Solix symbol that is not in the Helix operating system.

Solix - Helix Common Symbols.pdf
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike2718 View Post
    How are you actually using it to "manage" your waypoints? If you are just loading waypoints by state, you don't really need HumminbirdPC for that. When you export a state from your Solix, you can just save a copy on your computer. You can do that with all your states. When you go to a different state, you can delete everything off your units then load that particular state. I basically do the same thing except I do it for lakes instead of states.

I want to expand on SLYDoggie's response.
    He is correct HumminbirdPC "can" mess things up. It was created years ago for the Legacy/Numbered units. It still works for Helix units since those still use the same Operating System as the older units.
    HumminbirdPC "can" be used with Solix files but you have to be careful when doing so.

It starts with opening a native Solix/Apex file in HumminbirdPC. While Solix and Helix both have their own set of symbols, there are 36 symbols they have in common. These 36 symbols will, however, "look" different between the Solix models and Helix/HumminbirdPC. If you open a Solix/Apex file in HumminbirdPC, HumminbirdPC will "Change" any symbols it doesn't recognize to the default "Blue Dot". It is ONLY changing the way it "appears" in HumminbirdPC but is NOT changing the ACTUAL symbol. You may "see" a bunch of "Blue Dots" in HumminbirdPC BUT it is still retaining ALL your Solix Data UNLESS you start changing things.
    It retains everything UNLESS you use the "drop down" to change it to another symbol. If you use the drop down box to change the symbol, then it will actually change the symbol in the file. IF you change it to a symbol that is common between Solix and Helix units, that symbol will load as the Solix symbol when you import the file back to a Solix unit and the color of the original symbol.
    You will not be able to change the color before importing. If you change it to a symbol that is not in the Solix Operating system, that symbol will import into your Solix as whatever you have your Solix default symbol set to and it will retain the color of the previous symbol that you changed from.

You can tell which symbols are common between the units when you open the file in HumminbirdPC. Any symbols you see other than the "Blue Dot" will be common between the models. They will just "look" like how they will appear on a Helix unit. When you re-import the file to a Solix, it will retain the original Solix appearance.

If you open a Solix file in HummbirdPC and save the file, it will still RETAIN ALL the original Solix symbols, colors and data when you save the file BUT it will add Helix code to every waypoint and track point. You can delete any of your Solix waypoints and tracks in HumminbirdPC and you will be ok. If you add any waypoints in HumminbirdPC and import that into your Solix, you lose the ability to assign a color and other aspects to the waypoint. You also lose the ability to assign other attributes but typically those don't really matter since the Solix has certain factory defaults that most people don't change.
    It's not too bad if you're not adding a bunch of waypoints in HumminbirdPC. You can always change the symbols, colors and any other attributes once they are loaded.

I have included a pdf that shows a picture and has the operating system name of the symbols that are common to Solix and Helix. If your Solix file has one of these symbols, it will look like the Helix symbol when you open it in HumminbirdPC. That's ok because it will still look like the Solix symbol when you load the file back to your Solix. There are some other symbols that "look" the same between the two units BUT have a different Operating System name so those will show up as the "Blue Dot" along with any other Solix symbol that is not in the Helix operating system.

Solix - Helix Common Symbols.pdf
    I didnt read your whole post, but I upload my waypoints and tracks from my units, delete some, re name some and I create waypoints and tracks on google earth pro then convert and import them to h bird pc then put them on a card and into my unit.

I would call that managing them.

11. Member
    I didnt read your whole post, but I upload my waypoints and tracks from my units, delete some, re name some and I create waypoints and tracks on google earth pro then convert and import them to h bird pc then put them on a card and into my unit.

I would call that managing them.
    I was just trying to understand how you were managing your data and explain how HumminbirdPC handles Solix files. I was just giving some additional context to SLYDoggie's comments and didn't mean to touch a nerve. HumminbirdPC will work fine for what you are doing since you really aren't doing any edits other than deleting and renaming some of your data. The only "issues" that occur is when waypoints and tracks are created using Google Earth and then imported into HumminbirdPC. There isn't the ability to assign colors, groups, viewing options, spotlocks, etc to your data. The Solix will automatically assign those values based on the defaults that have been chosen on the unit. I also create a lot of waypoints, tracks and iTracks using Google Earth but I like to assign all the different Solix elements such as symbols, colors, groups, etc before loading them to my units that way I don't have to edit them one by one on the unit itself. Everything seems to work for what you are doing so there's no need to do anything different.
    Hopefully in a month or so, there will be a true Solix Management Program available.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

12. Member
    . . .I create waypoints and tracks on google earth pro then convert and import them to h bird pc then put them on a card and into my unit.
    SOLIX units perform "track-scrubbing". I.E. When tracks and/or number-of-track-points reach a certain size, SOLIX units will remove track-points DURING THE DISPLAY-PROCESS. Loss of track-points will result in loss of track accuracy, sometimes by large degrees.

FYI: SOLIX units can import GPX, KML, USRv4 or the MATRIX folder HWR and HT files
    Last edited by LittleGazoo; 03-17-2024 at 10:40 AM.