Lake Kenansville

Taking a day off travel/work to fish Lake Kenansville, March 22nd. I’ve hired a guide who I’ve fished with past years. It’s a ways out but forecast says all day rain so plan to bring gear to stay dry. I haven’t spoken with the guide yet regarding fishing conditions or technics but what should I expect this time of the year? Thanks….

2. Member
    The guide will probably want you to fish with shiners. They are easy to use to catch bass. They are like fishing for addicts with crack. There will be action and you will probably catch a big fish or two.. You sit in one spot pretty much and throw out big minnows with a balloon for a cork or a big float. Guides do this because your neice that never fished before can catch fish in Florida with shiners. I have done it twice in about 25 years with friends that were down and wanted to do it...so I did it.

I have seen it done hundreds of times down here.

Bores me to tears...but it makes the guide have a easy day putting you on good fish.

Also, long range forecasts change down here constantly. You cannot depend on anything that far out.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFlyer View Post
    The guide will probably want you to fish with shiners. They are easy to use to catch bass. They are like fishing for addicts with crack. There will be action and you will probably catch a big fish or two.. You sit in one spot pretty much and throw out big minnows with a balloon for a cork or a big float. Guides do this because your neice that never fished before can catch fish in Florida with shiners. I have done it twice in about 25 years with friends that were down and wanted to do it...so I did it.

I have seen it done hundreds of times down here.

Bores me to tears...but it makes the guide have a easy day putting you on good fish.

Also, long range forecasts change down here constantly. You cannot depend on anything that far out.
    Totally wrong. There is no easy day guiding with shiners if done correctly. I did it for over 30 years and if you're not beat at the end of 9 hours of guiding with shiners you didnt work hard enough. In all those years I can remember perhaps 2 or 3 trips where we "sat in one place all day" and thats only because we basically had non- stop action all day. Take it from me guiding someone with artificials is MUCH easier.
    “It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so. “ – Mark Twain

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flabasspond View Post
    Totally wrong. There is no easy day guiding with shiners if done correctly. I did it for over 30 years and if you're not beat at the end of 9 hours of guiding with shiners you didnt work hard enough. In all those years I can remember perhaps 2 or 3 trips where we "sat in one place all day" and thats only because we basically had non- stop action all day. Take it from me guiding someone with artificials is MUCH easier.
    Totally agree. Personally I enjoy fishing with shiners - they are great fish detectors.

Never fished with shiners, we’ll see what he recommends when I talk with him this week. What are some good artificial baits that work in that lake?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FishStalkerGuy View Post
    Never fished with shiners, we’ll see what he recommends when I talk with him this week. What are some good artificial baits that work in that lake?
    Your standard Florida stuff such as Junebug Magnum U-vibe, Chatterbait, and Black/blue flipping baits. Senkos with a light lead in black blue tip.

7. Member

I cannot stop laughing at this.

Thank you

Wrong post…..LOL
    Last edited by FishStalkerGuy; 03-11-2024 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteboat View Post
    Your standard Florida stuff such as Junebug Magnum U-vibe, Chatterbait, and Black/blue flipping baits. Senkos with a light lead in black blue tip.
    Thank you!

10. Member
    Putting the shiner on a hook is hard work.

11. Member
    The reason they sit in one place is because many take fish food pellets and bait a place .... they will have 4 or 5 places set up. The food brings in the shad or tilapia minnows and the bass come in to feed and they bite the shiner hook. I have watched guides throw out food with like a coffee can on a spot they have fished. I have seen them sell a half day trip....take the customer to the bank about 1 o'clock or so and then come back to the exact same spot in a few minutes and add more fish food.

There is no more dumber fishing than fishing with shiners except maybe shocking them to the surface.

I do not mean the guides do not work. Many do... by the word easy.....I mean it is a no brainer to catch fish with shiners. It is easy. The guides stay busy baiting and sometimes setting the hook for you... then you reel the fish in. I mean it is easy to catch fish with shiners. You could teach a monkey to do it.
    RT188

12. Member
    Now to the original post. I fish there a good bit. The ramp is pretty blocked in right now and the hydrilla is almost topped out on the surface. If you can pitch something with a one ounce weight and a creature bait, you can bust through the cabbage and pads on top and catch fish. You can also fish weightless stick baits like Senko in holes in the hydrilla if you know where they are. It is tough fishing a chatterbait there right now because of the weeds. They are very thick. You can fish a chatterbait along the canals...the hydrilla is matted a lot right now and I bet you fish shiners in a few spots the guide has ready for you.
    RT188

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFlyer View Post
    Now to the original post. I fish there a good bit. The ramp is pretty blocked in right now and the hydrilla is almost topped out on the surface. If you can pitch something with a one ounce weight and a creature bait, you can bust through the cabbage and pads on top and catch fish. You can also fish weightless stick baits like Senko in holes in the hydrilla if you know where they are. It is tough fishing a chatterbait there right now because of the weeds. They are very thick. You can fish a chatterbait along the canals...the hydrilla is matted a lot right now and I bet you fish shiners in a few spots the guide has ready for you.
    Thank you, I’ll pick up some lures locally…….I reel left handed so taking one of my reels with me as well.

Are their hotels near the lake? All hotels I could find are about 45 minutes out.

15. Derek McCullough
    Are their hotels near the lake? All hotels I could find are about 45 minutes out.
    No. None close at all really.

16. Member
    There is a place called Lake Marian Resort. They have mobile homes they rent like a cabin rental.....or they used to anyway. There was hotel in Kenansville if it is still open.... I think it was called something like Heartbreak Hotel.
    RT188

I’ll give Lake Marian a call tomorrow. Thanks.