mono line spools

I have a new spooling machine that is basically straight from the filler spool to the spinning reel spool, (berkley trilene xl 14lb) i have the line coming off the bottom of the filler to the bottom of the reel spool, and very little tension on the filler spool, but when I get it full the line is twisted and coils off the reel spool on its own. I know a lot of you do the spool on the floor or in a bucket and flip it, but I get the same results that way, all line twist, which makes the reel unusable for the most part. M

My question, is are the small 330yd filler spools pre twisted, or will they not work going direct to the reel spool straight away?
    when I get it filled from the bait shop from the huge spool I dont have any problems, but I dont want to continue with that.

thanks
    for any ideas or insights on filler spools.

spooling machine: https://sportsmaninnovations.com/pro...on-spooler-pro
    Last edited by TerrysRanger374V; 03-10-2024 at 03:14 PM. Reason: link to machine

2. Member
    This is what I have done. Lay the spool on the ground for spinning reels. Wind on a few yards. Put the rod down close to the spool. If line is very twisted. Turn spool over to the other side.

I respool my reels out in the garage. I have a large nail drove into the side of a post that supports a shelf. When it comes time to respool I place my spool of line on the nail with the line feeding off the top if doing a baitcaister. If doing a spinning reel (aka fairy wand) I have the line feeding of the bottom of the spool. Doing it like that I have zero issues with line twist.
    Last edited by JR19; 03-10-2024 at 03:53 PM.

I think the 330 yd filler spools have some twist right from the start, and going straight on to the reel spool just moves the twist to the reel spool. The idea of straight from the bottom of the filler to bottom of the reel spool should give no twist. The video of the spooling machine shows a bigger spool, like the ones at the bait shop.

I always spooled the reel not caring about twists or coils, then took the rig to an area big enough then tie the line to a fence or something, open the bail and walk the spool empty. Lay the rod down, go untie the line from the fence and walk back. Close the bail, pinch the line between thumb and forefinger and reel it all in. The kinks and coils would work themselves out on the way in.
    Ranting incoherently

Quote Originally Posted by yatesville88fan View Post
    This is what I have done. Lay the spool on the ground for spinning reels. Wind on a few yards. Put the rod down close to the spool. If line is very twisted. Turn spool over to the other side.
    This is what I've done for years.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TerrysRanger374V View Post
    I have a new spooling machine that is basically straight from the filler spool to the spinning reel spool, (berkley trilene xl 14lb) i have the line coming off the bottom of the filler to the bottom of the reel spool, and very little tension on the filler spool, but when I get it full the line is twisted and coils off the reel spool on its own. I know a lot of you do the spool on the floor or in a bucket and flip it, but I get the same results that way, all line twist, which makes the reel unusable for the most part. M

My question, is are the small 330yd filler spools pre twisted, or will they not work going direct to the reel spool straight away?
    when I get it filled from the bait shop from the huge spool I dont have any problems, but I dont want to continue with that.

thanks
    for any ideas or insights on filler spools.

spooling machine: https://sportsmaninnovations.com/pro...on-spooler-pro
    For baitcasters, the line from the filler spool should be coming off from the top to the reel spool and from the bottom for spinning reels, thats the way I use my "P-Line fishing line spooler assistant" to respool my reels.