New rectifier wiring

Screenshot 2024-03-10 132554.pngGood afternoon, I have a 2000 Merc 125hp 2-stroke. 0T018423 - 125ELPTO

I am trying to replace the rectifier hoping it's the cause of engine not turning off with key (it can turn off with kill switch), and motor wont go to 2nd stage. I thought this is what was replaced 5-6 years ago with the same problem.

Either way, my motor has a brown, purple, 2 black/yellow that are joined (all female). My new rectifier has 2 red (1 male B+) (1 female Sense), 2 yellow (AC) both male pins, grey (tach female), and black ground.

Of the 3 male ends, which do I connect to my motor female ends?

You have a bad key switch or a disconnected kill circuit to the switch. Black/Yellow wire
    Switch switches a ckt to ground to shut down,
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1... problem is almost certainly NOT in the Voltage Regulator (though I suspect it might be if you install this one).

What part number is this Voltage Regulator, and where did you obtain it?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    I didn't install it yet because the wire colors don't match. The MERC part# is 883072T - The only OEM one I found is used on <Non-Supported Site Links> says it's a match.

Some years ago, the engine would idle and run a few MPH, but would NOT move to 2nd stage. A replacement Voltage regulator fixed it. However - the engine would not turn off with the key (it would with kill switch) Some tech said disconnect one wire to the regulator - I forget which one. That fixed the issue with turning the engine off with the key.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 03-11-2024 at 06:32 PM.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Sorry- we don't support De'Bay or De'zon (or items purchased from there) here in the forums.

Those regulators are readily available through most any Mercury Dealer. Our website would even let you look it up by serial number and add it to the Shopping Cart- part numbers automatically supersede as the part goes in the shopping cart.

We deal with the Asian-Market stuff all the time... and scrap an unbelievable amount of it that ends up pulled off and replaced with OEM.

Your recollection is likely a combo or mix of Switch Box and Stator components, as there was no "second stage" for a voltage regulator to go into.

At any rate- the regulator is not the cause of your problem, as it is not tied to the kill circuit (at all). You have either a broken ground circuit (black wire) or Kill Circuit (black with yellow stripe) in or near the IGNITION switch.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor