Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Looking used. I would have no issues looking at a 2 stroke. Been around forever and plenty still going strong. Everyone I’ve talked to that has a new v8 4 stroke says they use about the same amount of fuel. I’ve been in a lot of boats. Bought a new Ranger once. Each brand has its own issues. I’ve kept my Legend 10 years and no plans on letting it go.

Dream boat - Ranger 522 or 522D. Great looking boat that is built like a tank. Finding one in your price range is probably a dream, unless you find one with an Evinrude.

3. Member
    I think this is a tough question to answer, because there is a huge difference in the way people care for and maintain their boats. I've seen some very expensive boats that were beat to shit, and some less expensive boats that looked almost brand new. Generally, you get what you pay for so a Basscat, Ranger, Triton, etc. is going to be a good boat if it was taken care of. Most of the brands you mentioned have been making good boats for years, and people's opinions are skewed by what they have owned and experienced. Yes, there is a perceived difference in quality from a Nitro to a Ranger or a Skeeter and that will show up in the resale value, but all these companies make a good boat. I'd be just as interested in the outboard because repowering is very expensive. How many hours, what kind of work has been done in the past, do you have a local dealer that can service it, etc? You might find a real cherry with an Evinrude on the back - do you want a motor from a company that is no longer in the outboard business with parts becoming harder and harder to find? What kind of trolling motor does it have along with the electronics and other accessories. The boat hull is only one piece of the puzzle.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ttranger View Post
    I think this is a tough question to answer, because there is a huge difference in the way people care for and maintain their boats. I've seen some very expensive boats that were beat to shit, and some less expensive boats that looked almost brand new. Generally, you get what you pay for so a Basscat, Ranger, Triton, etc. is going to be a good boat if it was taken care of. Most of the brands you mentioned have been making good boats for years, and people's opinions are skewed by what they have owned and experienced. Yes, there is a perceived difference in quality from a Nitro to a Ranger or a Skeeter and that will show up in the resale value, but all these companies make a good boat. I'd be just as interested in the outboard because repowering is very expensive. How many hours, what kind of work has been done in the past, do you have a local dealer that can service it, etc? You might find a real cherry with an Evinrude on the back - do you want a motor from a company that is no longer in the outboard business with parts becoming harder and harder to find? What kind of trolling motor does it have along with the electronics and other accessories. The boat hull is only one piece of the puzzle.
    Great thoughts. The motor part is tough since I’m two hours from any authorized repair place, I believe. Thanks for the things to consider!

5. Member
    one thing to consider about any used boat or vehicle +10 years old, even if perfectly maintained in a garage with service, is that things dry rot and age. Hopefully the hull remains perfect. I don't see these issues as a big problem if one is handy and if one gets out regularly to local waters. Where I've experienced it being an issue is driving 200 miles to a lake only to find after launching that your fuel hose had dry rotted or that an oil pump has died since you last had the boat out 2 months ago.

Proactive maintenance of replacing parts, trolling motors, etc is an idea but that gets expensive and one needs to be handy and experience helps.
    Last edited by davidsa; 03-14-2024 at 07:11 AM.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

6. Member
    Good luck in your search!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Top of the line performance hulls- Blazer, Gambler, Champion, Legend, Allison, Bullet, Charger

Slightly lower grade boats that still perform great (and the quality is still there)- Triton, Basscat, Phoenix, Falcon, Stratos, Skeeter

Bottom grade for performance- Ranger (best quality in this category), Nitro, Procraft, Astro

For engines I would look for one that has a Mercury 3.0 EFI, Mercury Pro XS Optimax, or a Yamaha SHO, and most importantly don't get a boat that is underpowered, always get the max hp that the boat is rated for. You can get a nice boat in that price range for sure. I paid less than that for my 2012 Triton 19XS with a 225 Pro XS on it that I just got a few months ago.
    Define performance? You mean speed? If so, speed with a lot of chine walk or speed with one finger on the wheel? Or for performance do you mean with trolling motor down fishing... e.g. stability, draft, layout?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue76 View Post
    Define performance? You mean speed? If so, speed with a lot of chine walk or speed with one finger on the wheel? Or for performance do you mean with trolling motor down fishing... e.g. stability, draft, layout?
    Top speed and ride, that's why Champion is in the top, they aren't the fastest but they ride great.

Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Top speed and ride, that's why Champion is in the top, they aren't the fastest but they ride great.
    You’re cracking me up.

I knew this thread would be a hoot.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTTA BIG SACK View Post
    This should top the taxidermy thread.

But I’d say everyone else tier 1.

Nitro tier 4.
    Only because there’s an asshat behind the wheel of every one of them.

(Post made specifically for hatcreek)

11. Member
    I have been in about all that are mentioned and a Phoenix is the best boat out there for the money if you ask me. They will out-ride about all of them, draft very shallow, have some speed, drive easy, and are designed with fishing in mind.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mgunter View Post
    I have been in about all that are mentioned and a Phoenix is the best boat out there for the money if you ask me. They will out-ride about all of them, draft very shallow, have some speed, drive easy, and are designed with fishing in mind.
    But the worst trailer made terrible Gelcoat and the thinnest carpet on any boat holds them back to the second or third tier of any ranking
    Last edited by mactlman; 03-14-2024 at 07:45 PM.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    But the worst trailer made terrible Gelcoat and the thinnest carpet on any boat holes them back to the second or third tier of any ranking
    The Ranger Trailers made in the past few years aren't that great either. I have seen the welds on the bow roller support break on 4 or 5 of them. Can't say I have ever seen a Phoenix trailer do that.

14. Member
    But the worst trailer made terrible Gelcoat and the thinnest carpet on any boat holes them back to the second or third tier of any ranking
    I can only comment on my experience. The trailer on the bird's tows like a dream. I had many fit issues on my first bird related to poor quality controls but that impacted loading now towing. No issues on the second bird. no gelcoat cracks on the first boat but only owned it 10 years. Second boat is too early to tell.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

15. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post
    Only because there’s an asshat behind the wheel of every one of them.

(Post made specifically for hatcreek)

My new helmet arrived... whatcha think?

Who controls John Gill?

17. Member
    I’ve had no issues with my trailer it pulls great. It’s much better then my shorelander trailer my Lund sat on and is light years better then my nitro trailer was. I can’t speak for the gel coat I haven’t owned it long enough. My old nitro looked like it was covered in spider webs there were so many gel coat cracks. But I will say this if I look down the side of my Phoenix I don’t see any Wavinessin in the fiberglass like I do in some other brands. I wouldn’t consider Phoenix a 3rd tier boat but that’s just my opinion.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

Quote Originally Posted by hatcreek View Post
    My new helmet arrived... whatcha think?

19. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue76 View Post
    This is where the real debate is. Champion is the gold standard for ride quality but it's nowhere near the top of the list for hulls I'd consider great fishing platforms. It fishes good but not as good as flatter sitting hulls. Some of those flatter sitting hulls will beat you to death in comparison to a Champ.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

20. Member
    I live 1.5 miles from my launch. I fish 2 or so times a week until summer hits then it’s 3-5 days a week. I’m relatively handy, but dried out hoses and belts and glue and…? make me nervous. No true marine mechanics within an hour of me. But a couple shade tree guys.

Also, because I lurk here a lot, I guessed speed would weasel its way into the discussion. It’s why I mentioned I don’t care about it. I just don’t. A 50 mph boat wouldn’t bother me one bit.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast