Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbsmallie View Post
    As a fellow Bass fisherman that grew up in the PNW fishing for trout, salmon and steelhead, who also lives in Oregon (on the dry side, luckily), and is also named Gabe (lol), I’ll give you my input for what it’s worth (not much!). Up here, if your looking for a used Bass boat, you simply aren’t going to have 10 or twelve of the brands listed even available for purchase….they have no dealer network and never have in the area. Finding a good used boat in the range listed will be very, very difficult and the price will likely be much higher than the going rate of boats listed on this very website for sale simply as a result of supply and demand. But with lots of patience and a wide net cast, it certainly can be done. Ranking all of these brands would be pointless unless you are willing to drive many states away to make the purchase, which comes with headaches of its own. Personally, I would look for a Skeeter, Bullet, Ranger or Phoenix in the area as that is what is going to give you the most opportunity (more of these brands sold new in the Northwest) to find a clean, quality rig in this area, and a nice, well kept and maintained boat is far more important than focusing on a single brand. I did leave out Nitro and Triton, yes. A personal bias only, as plenty are available in the area. For me, a Skeeter with a Yamaha would be number one choice
    This was awesomely helpful. Thank you, fellow Oregon Gabe!

2. Member
    While I'm really happy as a first time bass boat owner with my Stratos, if I had to do it over again I'd pay much, much more attention to the layout knowing how I fish, how much tackle/rod n reel set ups I prefer...how big a guy are you? Comfort in the cockpit (getting in/out) and such...and then match that up with the quality of manufacturer who you're targeting

2012 Stratos 189 VLO/150 Mercury Pro XS/MinnKota Terrova

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ToyotaKev View Post
    While I'm really happy as a first time bass boat owner with my Stratos, if I had to do it over again I'd pay much, much more attention to the layout knowing how I fish, how much tackle/rod n reel set ups I prefer...how big a guy are you? Comfort in the cockpit (getting in/out) and such...and then match that up with the quality of manufacturer who you're targeting
    These considerations should definitely be part of the calculus. I am a small dude: athletic 170 lbs-- so weight and cockpit room doesn't matter to me. But I realized with my Ranger that I LOVED the storage under my seats in my Skeeter. My Ranger has the gas tank there. Definitely sucks to lose that storage. I have a capacious bilge area, but it's not great to store stuff back there, though I have a waterproof box velcroed in the bilge to get some of that space back.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GabeJ View Post
    These considerations should definitely be part of the calculus. I am a small dude: athletic 170 lbs-- so weight and cockpit room doesn't matter to me. But I realized with my Ranger that I LOVED the storage under my seats in my Skeeter. My Ranger has the gas tank there. Definitely sucks to lose that storage. I have a capacious bilge area, but it's not great to store stuff back there, though I have a waterproof box velcroed in the bilge to get some of that space back.
    Yep...you figure out a way to maximize what you've got

2012 Stratos 189 VLO/150 Mercury Pro XS/MinnKota Terrova

5. Member
    Man some of these comments are just flat out wrong lol. Look everyone has the right to their opinion but if you want then message me and I’ll give you my thoughts on the boat brands I’ve owned and the ones I’ve rode in a lot with my fishing partners. I’ve owned or been in most of them except ikon and Allison.

6. Member
    The right boat all depends on where you fish and how you fish. If your on large deep lakes, stability and speed is a good thing, on large shallow lakes, not so much on the speed yet stability and weight is your friend. A shallow lake in Florida any wind over 12mph will beat you to death. While a deep lake 12mph is a nice breeze. Buy the right tool for the job you’re doing and you won’t have regrets. Look at the lakes you fish. What is the typical weather pattern, do you need speed? Can’t catch fish at 70 mph. Will the hulls withstand the elements. All boats have the same flotation requirements. Then how do you fish? Just because you like how a boat looks doesn’t mean it will fit the needs of where and how you fish. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie-Raven View Post
    Very subjective question. Best to figure out what suits your style best and then find one like that in good condition.
    This is the answer. What you want, what you think is important... No one knows this better than you.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678